Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,653,172 times

Advertisements

It seems the vast majority of these crimes are property crimes. Yeah, getting your stuff stolen sucks, but it's not as bad as a robbery or murder or rape.

Didn't a couple USC students get killed this year or last year? I think that alone ought to put it on the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,271,046 times
This list is interesting and very surprising.

UCLA, in one of LA's "nosebleed priced" neighborhoods, is number 1? The number of violent episodes for such an exclusive area is even more of an eye-opener. Yet USC in a bad neighborhood near downtown is not on the list? People at USC talk about their safety. It's a front burner thing. And Berkeley is number 2? Berkeley, with Shattuck Avenue and people milling around at all hours, is a surprise. However, there are parts of this (sub)urban campus that have small stands of redwood, but this is still surprising. San Diego State? Really? Do students get in brawls and hit others with their surfboards?

No surprise: SUNY Buffalo, Georgia Tech (too bad, great school), CSU Fresno, Rutgers (I thought that campus was distributed in different colleges in different locations)

Surprisingly omitted from the list: University of the Pacific (in crime-infested, depressing Stockton), Fordham (Jesuit univ. in The Bronx), Catholic University of America (Washington DC, and not in a great area), NYU (in Greenwich Village), Columbia (near Harlem), Tulane (near the rowdy French Quarter), Univ of Houston (toward the not-so-great end of downtown), and a whole bunch of others ...

Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM

286 posts, read 416,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Rutgers (I thought that campus was distributed in different colleges in different locations)
It is. They also have a New Brunswick and Camden campus.

New Brunswick is their biggest campus, and while not entirely safe (as with any area), it is the most desirable location for most students.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,271,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
It is. They also have a New Brunswick and Camden campus.

New Brunswick is their biggest campus, and while not entirely safe (as with any area), it is the most desirable location for most students.
I was aware of New Brunswick and Camden (yikes). However, the New Brunswick campus seems to be very fragmented. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure you know that a lot of people think Rutgers is Ivy League, with its proper sounding name, prior to seeing it is "The State University of New Jersey." When I was in college, I thought it was as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM

286 posts, read 416,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was aware of New Brunswick and Camden (yikes). However, the New Brunswick campus seems to be very fragmented. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure you know that a lot of people think Rutgers is Ivy League, with its proper sounding name, prior to seeing it is "The State University of New Jersey." When I was in college, I thought it was as well.
I do that get impression from people out of state. However, a lot of people from New Jersey seem to write off Rutgers as a safety school, as most will apply there with that intent. They are truly underestimated by some New Jersey residents, at least from the people I have encountered. Rutgers may not be Ivy League, but they are an exceptional school. They will actually be my first choice after I finish community college as their English program is top notch and they have a Masters program in Education in which I am very interested.

The New Brunswick campus is huge. It encompasses most of New Brunswick.

Not sure about the reputation of the Camden campus, but I'm actually surprised they didn't make the list. Camden is more dangerous than Newark from what I've heard.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,741,702 times
The list looks surprising because most schools only report on campus crime if they are within a large metro.

A lot of "dangerous" schools like USC, U of Chicago, and Columbia, are dangerous because students live off campus in neighborhoods with high crime rates. At the same time, those schools are a lot more likely to have extensive campus police units staffed by experienced officers and augmented by strict security systems.
As a result, criminals always target students off campus; lowest effort, least risk.

Meanwhile, because they are part of a large metro, they do not count near campus crime, which falls under the city or metro police, in the UCR reports to the FBI. The call never touches their dispatch, they never write a report, so it does not go under their UCR. (And, there is absolutely no requirement to report UCR statistics. So, it might be that many schools in high crime areas are simply not reporting.)

Also, it looks like this list weights violent crime.
Violent crime in small areas is extremely volatile from year to year; a single incident may generate multiple violent crime reports too. If you have a single murder-suicide in the dorms and one on-campus frat fight, your violent crime rates will shoot way up.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM

12,067 posts, read 23,132,364 times
Sensationalism for the sake of sensationalism. Even at these schools, violent crime rates are low and most larcenies are crimes of opportunity--frequently committed by fellow students.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM

878 posts, read 2,007,167 times
Surprised St. John's University and York College (both in NY) aren't on there. They're both in Jamaica, Queens and I go to St John's, where I get public safety emails about a robbery or assault at least every week.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,016,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
The New Brunswick campus is huge. It encompasses most of New Brunswick.
This is quite an overstatement. Rutgers campus most certainly does not encompass most of New Brunswick.

College Avenue is very small. And while Cook and Douglass take up parts of the New Brunswick Rt 1. Corridor, it's hardly "most of New Brunswick". Most of New Brunswick campus is not even in New Brunswick. It's in Piscataway.

Also, Rutgers is riding the coattails of its prestigious name. The university is nowhere near the same quality as Rutgers college was. A lot of people still think that Rutgers College still exists and hold the entire university to that level. They are highly mistaken.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,980,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The list looks surprising because most schools only report on campus crime if they are within a large metro.
Makes sense, because if that wasn't the case, I'm certain the list would be littered with schools in the greater Chicago area.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 12-03-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities