U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2009, 12:50 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,594,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Nonsense. The above is just an extrapolation of the middle class hard work ethic mantra of the 20th century, and as such it's a DEAD proposition. NASA astronauts on TV telling kids "your attitude determines your altitude". And they are on the verge of unemployment. Astronauts are their own cheerleaders, you didn't get to the space shuttle cause you worked harder than the next guy pops, you got to the space shuttle by a combination of meeting the qualifications (tons did that), connections (much less had those) and timing (only you did). Of course that means life would be UNFAIR, and you can't sell college seats on a platform of "life's grey". It always has to be your fault, otherwise people would catch on to the scheme, so gimme a break.
Did you even read my post or did you have a chip on your shoulder?

I'm just saying that if you go to university you should do more than go to class and get hammered. This is how you make connections for use further down the road.

I also stated that going to Harvard or going to a state school doesn't matter, the only difference might be the range of opportunities (like say lab openings or internship opportunities) available to the student. If you go to Harvard and sit around getting drunk and going to class and doing nothing else, then in my mind that is a blown opportunity because there is a lot of stuff you can learn about or get involved in that the university provides access to.

Some people just get more out of their education than others, I'm saying that if you're paying x dollars you should do everything in your power to get the most of it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Rei

492 posts, read 1,173,298 times
Quote:
Degree does not equal job. I've seen some college courses I like to call, "blame the white man and America for everything that's wrong in the universe" courses. Study hard on that course and then what are you going to do when your interviewer is a white male American you've been taught to hate?
You must've gone to a public school. This kind of classes only exist there...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM

3,919 posts, read 5,904,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I mean it helps, but it is unbelievably frustrating and difficult to find a job. I'm looking for an entry level position and it's extremely difficult because everyone wants experience but no one has any when starting out. Ugh...
wait till the 50+ are gone. Things will even out. I hope...

My argument against the economy is you need to be willing to move where the work is. It would be nice to stay in the city you like, but sometimes that's not an option, unless your willing to wait.

If i was a single male, have a degree in computer science with certificates or a programmer. Hello Japan.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM

10,680 posts, read 17,305,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeGrad View Post
I...

I'm broke jobless and full of debt. It has not gotten any easier in these hard economic times. My student loans are killing me and I can't afford to do another internship.

What should I do?
look for a public service job that will offer debt forgiveness to college loan (or at least part of it)

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM

48,588 posts, read 44,653,204 times
it never guaranteed you a job. college degree sales, best biz around. PHD for 180 000 dollars with no warranty. as good as it gets. and non dischargable. for me, i like VE thru jr college or military no debt no student loans, my best pick is RN, no 4 year degree needed, cheap education good pay.
america has got to stop the insanity, huge debts. student loans and divorces are killing us.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,482,121 times
Nooooooooo. I have a degree in the subject I found most interesting, which is psychology. I can do nothing with it. I have to get at least a master's in it to get a decent job, or any job, really. At this point I have zero desire to go back to school. I feel like I had to major in something boring to get a good job. I just don't care about math or business.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Default shopteacher

As a shop teacher in a vocational high school, my students leave our school and start work full time in their chosen field upon garduation. Vocational school students are not a burden to their parents nor are they an unemployment statistic after they graduate. Vocational school students are the backbone of the work force. Todays technology affords them the opportunity to become become college graduates if the wish to while working in their chosen field and never miss a beat. It seems to me that they have the best of both worlds. Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing them to a doctor, lawyer etc,I'm just pointing out that maybe vocational education shouldn't be overlooked these days by children starting high school as way to suceed in life,without a college education.Students graduating my shop start work making $25.00 hr and go up from there as they gain experience on their job.Again I'm saying vocational education can or should replace college but our students don't have to look or wait 2 years to find employment.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 AM

420 posts, read 1,299,577 times
These days you really need to know what you want to go for. No longer are the days where someone can go to a small liberal arts college and be undeclared, that's just stupid if my opinion. This is why community colleges are so successful because if you're not an english major, what do you care where you take english. Trust me I'm a dentist, did all the schooling in the world. I got into dental school and saw that some of the science courses that were required for biology majors didn't even come close to helping out. Now that I'm a dentist I can pretty much go anywhere and get a job, but let me tell you the hell that I had to go thru to get where I'm at. These days I'd stick with the science or math fields, that's where the jobs are at.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM

65 posts, read 237,710 times
One of the toughest things with college is accepting that sometimes things just don't go as planned. I have several friends who have a masters degree, are very socially skilled, and aren't kids anymore by a long shot, but the fact remains that they can't find work that really suits them or challenges them. One was a psychology major and another a political science major. I have a masters degree in accounting/taxation myself and currently make $10.00/hr. This is not exactly what I envisioned myself earning after graduation, but it is a job. I did well in college (3.6 GPA) and am a very humble person. I don't expect a handout from anyone. I am saving my money to take the CPA exam, and just maybe I will be able to find something better once I do that.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:24 PM

627 posts, read 1,225,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5527 View Post
One of the toughest things with college is accepting that sometimes things just don't go as planned. I have several friends who have a masters degree, are very socially skilled, and aren't kids anymore by a long shot, but the fact remains that they can't find work that really suits them or challenges them. One was a psychology major and another a political science major. I have a masters degree in accounting/taxation myself and currently make $10.00/hr. This is not exactly what I envisioned myself earning after graduation, but it is a job. I did well in college (3.6 GPA) and am a very humble person. I don't expect a handout from anyone. I am saving my money to take the CPA exam, and just maybe I will be able to find something better once I do that.
Wow, that is not good at all. Maybe you're only making $10/hour because of your location? Do you live in a small town or a city that is in complete financial ruin? My company has hired some people who don't have degrees at all...they just either have accounting/bookkeeping experience or have taken a few undergrad accounting classes. Starting out, they make about $15 an hour. And Arkansas is not known to be a high-paying state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities