Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:23 PM

40 posts, read 339,752 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I heard from others that a college degree doesn't guarantee you a job anymore. Because some college graduates cannot get a job in their field they are working as waitress and struggling to pay back the student loans.

Is college really worth that much today? The statistic says that on average a college graduate will earn much more in their lifetime as oppose to a high school graduate.

But what if they cannot find or get a job after they finish their college studies? Then comes the struggle to pay back the loans and those 4 years you could be earning money are lost.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 PM

673 posts, read 3,137,688 times
I dont think that a college degree is a guarantee for anything. I've seen people get great jobs without them, but it has been rare and they have been passed up for promotions. Personally, the place where I work requires a degree for just about any promotion and even though some people have been there 10+ years, they are not being considered for their experience and are being passed up by people with degrees.

So I think that college degrees are very important but arent the answer to the perfect well paying job. I think they odds are that they help alot more having them and that's why my husband and I are working towards completing our Bachelors degree before we move out of state. We are worth alot more with them than without.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,739,729 times
I don't have a degree and make more $$$ than most of the jobs posted that DO require a degree. In Orlando, degrees might get you a little more money but most of the jobs I've seen/called about only pay $10-11/hour...which is a lot less than what I make.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:32 PM

288 posts, read 915,908 times
I graduated with a college degree (2 BSc's: computer science and biology) in 2005 from a prestigious public university and found it very difficult to land a job. It seems like entry-level opportunities, especially in IT, are hard to find. Every company wants people with experience, but none are willing to provide an opportunity for young people to obtain it.

I have numerous acquaintances who have had trouble finding jobs after they graduated and have had to settle for low salaries and/or unfulfilling jobs.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 PM

520 posts, read 1,849,817 times
I don't think a college degree ever guaranteed you a job. They are more important these days because so many more people have them. People without degrees are often disqualified for positions because of that fact, regardless of experience. Is that fair? Probably not. But thats how it is.

The value of your degree also depends on what degree you have and what industry you want to work in.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,010,520 times
No--I have 2 degrees and have had trouble finding 'meaningful' and 'well paying' work. There are a lot of low level jobs out there. Getting a great one (and keeping it) in your field of study is not easy. You can keep trying though.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,228,163 times
It's basically an education arms race these days, to see who can rack up the most degrees. I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:46 PM

105 posts, read 399,371 times
It also depends what you got your degree in. If you got a BS in nursing then I would feel comfortable saying you would find work fairly quickly in any city you move to-unless you interviewed really horribly!
But a degree in say......Art Management might make it tougher to get a job quickly.
Plenty of people that I graduated with and went to college and got a bachelors are not working in their desired field......but I-who did not get a bachelors right away and eventually went to school and got an Associates to be a Rad Tech am doing much better than they are-with alot less student loans than they have

I do not regret missing out on the college experience to get my bachelors when I was 18-22....pretty happy with the route I took. However, if i ever wanted to be upper level I would need to get my BS....

Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,570,486 times
While I would NEVER discourage one from going to college to further their education, I would say that it should be coupled with experience in the field you're studying. I would recommend doing internships/working part-time so that you start forging relationships with corporations. This IMO would lead to increasing your chances of landing a decent paying job.

For instance, my sister-in-law graduated from Howard Univ. and then went on to law school. While in law school she interned for a small well known criminal defense firm up until her graduation. She had forged such a great relationship with the 4 attorneys as well as other state attorneys, upon graduation and passing of the bar, everyone she met had offered her a position. She turned them all down however, she did arrange to lease office space at the criminal defense firm and start her own practice. They would throw her all the smaller cases from time to time, at which point she built her practice and gained a great reputation.

So it's really all about your perserverance; establishing relationships; productivity; personality; and the degree is always a plus.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 PM

468 posts, read 1,633,863 times
I mean it helps, but it is unbelievably frustrating and difficult to find a job. I'm looking for an entry level position and it's extremely difficult because everyone wants experience but no one has any when starting out. Ugh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities