U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:31 PM

322 posts, read 1,059,561 times

Advertisements

I am currently finishing my transfer units at junior college for the 2012-2013 year. Next year in fall 2013, I plan to either go to humboldt state university or maybe go to a state university in Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin. The question I have is, how can I find a way to pay for school costs without the use of student loans? I currently have work study so I hope to receive that at my new university but I was wondering how else to cover the costs for the 2013-2014 school year. It'll be a minimum of $11,000/year for a state university in california but, also I have found school costs only $15,000/year out of state yearly costs. Wherever I plan to go, I plan to move to the area at least a few months earlier so I can find a job and get that going before school starts. Could anyone help with advice on how I can effectively pay for school costs, especially for an out-of-state university? Thanks guys
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM

13,147 posts, read 31,669,370 times
How old are you? Have you been accepted at any of those colleges? Have you applied for financial aid?

If you are under 24 and considered a dependent, your parents income will come into play. Unless you have a big scholarship to one of those schools or have some sort of skill where you can earn money during the summer, I don't know how you can get out without paying.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,331,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
I am currently finishing my transfer units at junior college for the 2012-2013 year. Next year in fall 2013, I plan to either go to humboldt state university or maybe go to a state university in Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin. The question I have is, how can I find a way to pay for school costs without the use of student loans? I currently have work study so I hope to receive that at my new university but I was wondering how else to cover the costs for the 2013-2014 school year. It'll be a minimum of $11,000/year for a state university in california but, also I have found school costs only $15,000/year out of state yearly costs. Wherever I plan to go, I plan to move to the area at least a few months earlier so I can find a job and get that going before school starts. Could anyone help with advice on how I can effectively pay for school costs, especially for an out-of-state university? Thanks guys
It's possible that you can't unless you can get financial aid of the non-loan kind. I would suggest cover as much of the cost as you can with financial aid and work, and if there is only a small amount left then borrow (but not from a private lender). Keep the borrowed amount very small and make sure your major is highly marketable so that you are likely to get a job afterward. If your major is something silly like history or English, or something generic like business, then you should probably consider a switch. Be careful about what schools say they cost - tuition is what it is, but many school claim you will spend less for room and board or housing and food than you will actually spend.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:59 PM

7,101 posts, read 26,287,104 times
You work. That's it. Work. Take a few courses that allow you to work enough to finance your life. It may take more years than you plan for, but you will end up with your degree and no student loans. You work afternoons and nights and study when you can.

You can also get a full time day job and take a course or two at night. Again, this will make college last years longer than you expected, but it gets the bills paid.

The only good reason for going out of state, is if you can only get the courses that you want there. Unless it is a very specialized field, you should have no problem with staying in your home state.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM

5,653 posts, read 18,617,296 times
Don't you have to take a certain amount of credit hours (12 I think) in order to stay enrolled as full time? Otherwise you are considered to be enrollled part time? For OPs situation, not sure if this would affect their plans or if this makes a difference.
Also, do certain colleges require students live there on campus for at least one year? Or is that just with freshmen? I have heard some require 4 years (what a racket). This may affect the plans as well and they should investigate this.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 AM

35,792 posts, read 39,370,628 times
I would stay IN STATE unless you find an out of state that is less expensive or where your living expenses will be nil (living with reletives or something). If you are independent and over age 24 with a low income you will probably qualify for a Pell Grant, the kind you don't have to pay back.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 AM

4,656 posts, read 5,808,715 times
If you're physically/morally qualified (e.g. no arrests), consider enlisting for 3-4 years to qualify for the GI Bill.

The current form of the GI Bill pays *full* in-state tuition and a living stipend for 4 (school) years:

Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

After active service you can also join the Guard or Reserve which forces you to drill monthly, but the check isn't that bad and there are other programs which can help you.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,830,800 times
Unfortunately the combination of being a transfer student and state schools is really going to limit scholarship dollars. I know that CA schools have basically no money to give and the state schools in the Midwest are not generous with merit awards. If you lived anywhere but CA I would agree that you should stay instate for college, however, CA is broke, getting into the CA state schools is extremely difficult and there is little to no money to go around.

If you are under 24, I don't know that there is a way for you to go to college without taking student loans. Why the hesitation if that is the only way for you to go to college? If you max out your federal loans you will graduate with $27,000 in student loan debt. That is a VERY reasonable amount of debt in exchange for a college degree vs not having a college degree at all and looking at the job prospects...which are few and far between.

The other thing you have to consider is if your credits will transfer. It's highly unlikely that they will all transfer meaning you will have to go longer to your 4 year school. I REALLY wish people would look into this so call "cost savings" of going to CC first. Often it ends up costing MORE for students to do that.

Had you started in a 4 year school as a freshman, you would have been eligible for a LOT more money in merit aid and other awards. Some schools don't grant any financial aid to students that did not apply as freshmen (so transfer students are only eligible for loans). At the school my daughter is attending, the difference in just one scholarship she got was $8000/year. When you factor in total costs, tuition, room/board, transportation, gas, etc. community college would cost her a minimum of $4000/year MORE than the private, out of state school she is attending.

I would start applying for as many private scholarships as you can, Gates, Kohl's, Walmart, etc. Do a scholarship search on the Cappex website and start applying.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 AM

11,642 posts, read 22,775,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
How old are you and do you live with your parents or someone who provides support to you? You may be able to qualify for financial aid depending on your situation.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM

322 posts, read 1,059,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Unfortunately the combination of being a transfer student and state schools is really going to limit scholarship dollars. I know that CA schools have basically no money to give and the state schools in the Midwest are not generous with merit awards. If you lived anywhere but CA I would agree that you should stay instate for college, however, CA is broke, getting into the CA state schools is extremely difficult and there is little to no money to go around.

If you are under 24, I don't know that there is a way for you to go to college without taking student loans. Why the hesitation if that is the only way for you to go to college? If you max out your federal loans you will graduate with $27,000 in student loan debt. That is a VERY reasonable amount of debt in exchange for a college degree vs not having a college degree at all and looking at the job prospects...which are few and far between.

The other thing you have to consider is if your credits will transfer. It's highly unlikely that they will all transfer meaning you will have to go longer to your 4 year school. I REALLY wish people would look into this so call "cost savings" of going to CC first. Often it ends up costing MORE for students to do that.

Had you started in a 4 year school as a freshman, you would have been eligible for a LOT more money in merit aid and other awards. Some schools don't grant any financial aid to students that did not apply as freshmen (so transfer students are only eligible for loans). At the school my daughter is attending, the difference in just one scholarship she got was $8000/year. When you factor in total costs, tuition, room/board, transportation, gas, etc. community college would cost her a minimum of $4000/year MORE than the private, out of state school she is attending.

I would start applying for as many private scholarships as you can, Gates, Kohl's, Walmart, etc. Do a scholarship search on the Cappex website and start applying.

I'm living independently and am 24 so parents info doesn't apply. I only applied to one school in california because your right there's no money for schools because the whole state is broke and for me part time work pays for rent so I can't afford to just allocate that towards school costs anywhere I go....which is exactly why I wrote this new thread in the first place lol but with that said I hope to still apply for any financial help I can receive i'm pretty sure that my credits will count
Especially if they are California university and state transferable credits there's no way other state schools wouldn't look at the work i've done at a junior college and decide that it was all worthless and has no merit that's just makes no sense or else i've wasted 4 years getting transfer units for nothing at least that's what I believe

I do appreciate the advice on scholarships though i'll do that very soon thanks =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities