Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are happier ON AVERAGE?
Business Majors 19 38.78%
Liberal Arts Majors 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
This one's easy. Business majors will tend to measure themselves based more on monitary success, while LA majors will tend to focus more on self actualization, and personal growth.

LA majors will tend to be much more fulfilled.
Really? Most LA majors I know are struggling to make ends meet by working a McJob for little more than minimum wage in a field that is completely unrelated to their field of study.

Sounds like a blast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM

158 posts, read 332,820 times
Business majors (from reputable, accredited Universities),though more prevalent today, still end up doing very well in the long-term. They also generally have more leverage when applying to Graduate school since a Business degree is a general degree with a decent amount of math and even more writing. Overall, I think the business student has the most options upon graduation, and more personality than your average engineering grad(generally speaking).

Old 01-13-2014, 03:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post
Business majors (from reputable, accredited Universities),though more prevalent today, still end up doing very well in the long-term. They also generally have more leverage when applying to Graduate school since a Business degree is a general degree with a decent amount of math and even more writing. Overall, I think the business student has the most options upon graduation, and more personality than your average engineering grad(generally speaking).
I found both most business and engineering majors to be completely lacking in personality.

- Most business majors are just random generic guys who chose business b/c it sounds like something they could make money in. But of course there would be more variation in personality since there is by far a higher number of business majors.

- Most engineering majors that I have encountered are strange&dull foreigners whose only interest is studying. Most have very little (if any) social lives and zero intimate life.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I found both most business and engineering majors to be completely lacking in personality.

- Most business majors are just random generic guys who chose business b/c it sounds like something they could make money in. But of course there would be more variation in personality since there is by far a higher number of business majors.

- Most engineering majors that I have encountered are strange&dull foreigners whose only interest is studying. Most have very little (if any) social lives and zero intimate life.
Yeah, I think business majors are generic guys, but I think they have better social/dating lives than your average engineering major(generally speaking).

Business is very much a generalist degree, but it incorporates a good amount of almost everything, as in any solid business program, economics(macro and micro), finance, project management,statistics, math(calc or algebra),etc. are all a part of the curriculum. You also have to write a good amount of papers and presentations, making you fairly well-rounded candidate for grad school or full-time employment.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Maybe it's because I'm at a community college, or maybe it's just a Florida thing, but business majors tend to be some of the dumbest people I've met (this includes people without degrees). I've also noticed that stupid people are usually happier than others. Therefore, I must say, from my personal experience, business majors are happier.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Maybe it's because I'm at a community college, or maybe it's just a Florida thing, but business majors tend to be some of the dumbest people I've met (this includes people without degrees). I've also noticed that stupid people are usually happier than others. Therefore, I must say, from my personal experience, business majors are happier.
You make a great point.

1. True, stupid people ARE happier.

2. As for business majors, again, its the most common major in the world so there will be tons of variation. But I do agree that the business coursework is generally much easier than the coursework for most other majors. And i've attended both a CC and a respected state university. Most business majors are just random dudes who watch sports, get drunk and constantly talk about chicks and how fat girls are gross, attend parties, etc... just random dudes.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
You make a great point.

1. True, stupid people ARE happier.

2. As for business majors, again, its the most common major in the world so there will be tons of variation. But I do agree that the business coursework is generally much easier than the coursework for most other majors. And i've attended both a CC and a respected state university. Most business majors are just random guys who watch sports, get drunk and constantly talk about chicks and how fat girls are gross, attend parties, etc...typical dudes.
Great point. Most are typical dudes, and only the talented business majors end up being anything different from that 3-5 years after graduation. But as one previous poster stated, dumber generally means happier(i.e. ignorance is bliss).

Old 10-13-2014, 11:40 AM

33 posts, read 49,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
This one's easy. Business majors will tend to measure themselves based more on monitary success, while LA majors will tend to focus more on self actualization, and personal growth.

LA majors will tend to be much more fulfilled.
Pretty much this. Business majors do it for the money, LA because they like it. Business majors dont have to worry about being poor and LA may, but poor people can be happier than richer people (and in many cases, often are).

Old 10-14-2014, 03:33 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Today a business major (for the most part) is the same thing as a liberal arts major, because both of them are broad and generic as hell.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Business majors IF more liberal arts majors are in fact examining more of the emotions, tragedies, injustices that shape the human experience (whether through woks of art, music, poetry, historic lesson, philosophical argument, etc.) and they empathize with it. If these topics are not being examined by a business student who has a load of analytical classes, then their ignorance on the human condition may be bliss. However, many of the business students I know do a lot of independent reading, volunteering, and self examination (despite what others think) and are patrons of the arts, music, etc. I also know plenty of LA majors who just wanted to party in college and lived a pretty superficial existence, so the difference in happiness levels may be negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities