Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
OK, but I think one has to understand that being harder to get into doesn't equate to providing a better education. The Ivy League schools are coasting on a lot of fading prestige, and they are graduating plenty of airheads.
A 6.3% freshman admit rate at Harvard is for airheads? Stick to the ones you touted in your OP. You seem to have a penchant for religious schools, even ones which aren't Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Which is exactly the point--if someone has never heard of the school it can't possibly be a good school. I'm sure there are schools near every poster on this list that they consider good schools that the rest of us have never heard of, does that mean they are bad schools in reality?
If I haven't heard of a college, yes; it most likely is not good.

The list is mainly comprised of Military Academies, Christian (not main stream Christian), and ultra Conservative Roman Catholic schools. A few Art Institutes and engineering schools are thrown in for good measure. Why? My guess is that those who compiled the list figure that not a lot of social, economic or political discourse goes on there.

The list discredits itself from the start, saying that the schools were chosen for their absence of "indoctrination". Then they go on to praise Grove City College for teaching only "conservative economics".

Most legitimate schools teach both Keynesian economics and Marxist economics.

The list also includes The King's College. Formerly of Briarcliff Manor NY, after losing it's accreditation due to mismanagement of funds, they set up shop in the early 2000s in an office located in the Empire State Building. The school was founded by fundamentalist minister Robert Cook, in the 1930s as a Bible School, and began granting degrees in the mid 1950s.

It is ranked "Less Competitive"- if it appears in any college guidebook at all.

A fundamentalist acquaintance of mine, sent her C-D students there after they bombed out on both the SATs and ACTs. They were accepted.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
That's just it. You need some objective criteria for determining what a good education is supposed to look like. If you don't have that, then it's all about perception, not reality.

It's possible to provide higher quality students with a higher quality education because they are capable of handling it, but that doesn't mean it happens that way. It's also possible to provide lower quality students with a better education than superior students receive.

A school that admits only "the best and the brightest" has to screw up pretty badly not to graduate "the best and the brightest". In that sense, the game is rigged. On the other hand schools that admit more ordinary students need to teach more to produce successful graduates.
Exactly. But all the high stakes testing in the world is not going to tell you if good education is taking place. Good education would have to be able to determine the effect an individual teacher and a school had on a group of students over a period of time.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A 6.3% freshman admit rate at Harvard is for airheads? Stick to the ones you touted in your OP. You seem to have a penchant for religious schools, even ones which aren't Catholic.
By that logic then, the list is pretty good-after all the College of the Ozarks has a 9% acceptance rate....

Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
By that logic then, the list is pretty good-after all the College of the Ozarks has a 9% acceptance rate....
I didn't scour them. I know the OP's general vibe. He pushed University of Dallas. It's Catholic Jesuit. It's not a brain trust. Far from it. If he wants good Catholic Jesuit, then that's Georgetown. However, I think that would be too shockingly secular for whomever he is trying to protect. After all, "The Exorcist" was sited and filmed there.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
A 6.3% freshman admit rate at Harvard is for airheads?
The relationship between a school's admission rates and the quality of its education - which, you may recall, takes place after admission - can vary tremendously. As for Ivy League airheads, do you really need examples?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCueDToh24c

Quote:
You seem to have a penchant for religious schools, even ones which aren't Catholic.
I have a penchant for schools that believe education is about the pursuit of truth rather than training clones to serve the "global economy", "world community", or whatever. Such schools are few and far between, even those with religious affiliations.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
OK, but I think one has to understand that being harder to get into doesn't equate to providing a better education. The Ivy League schools are coasting on a lot of fading prestige, and they are graduating plenty of airheads.
Ivy League in general does perhaps coast some on reputation, but not Harvard.

Are you aware how many valedictorians with perfect GPAs Harvard rejects a year?

It's a ton...

Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
If he wants good Catholic Jesuit, then that's Georgetown. However, I think that would be too shockingly secular for whomever he is trying to protect. After all, "The Exorcist" was sited and filmed there.

Georgetown alum and "Exorcist" author sues Georgetown over Sebelius speech:

"'The scandals that Georgetown has given to the faithful are too many to count and too many to ignore any longer,' said Blatty in an announcement. The graduate of Georgetown’s Class of 1950 announced the creation of The Father King Society to Make Georgetown Honest, Catholic and Better, under which Blatty plans to launch canonical action against the school seeking remedies 'up to and including the possible removal or suspension of top-ranked Georgetown’s right to call itself Catholic or Jesuit in its fundraising and representations to applicants.'”

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 12-12-2012 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I know the OP's general vibe.
I doubt it. But it's nice to know you're responding to my "vibe" rather than my arguments.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM

589 posts, read 850,824 times
Quote:
The relationship between a school's admission rates and the quality of its education - which, you may recall, takes place after admission - can vary tremendously. As for Ivy League airheads, do you really need examples?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCueDToh24c

I have a penchant for schools that believe education is about the pursuit of truth rather than training clones to serve the "global economy", "world community", or whatever. Such schools are few and far between, even those with religious affiliations.

To some extent, I hope that right wingnuts like yourself are in fact successful at steering the like minded minions away from real colleges such as Harvard, Yale, toward these extreme right wing 'think tanks,' like The University of Dallas, Hillsdale, etc.

Then, a generation down the road, we can look forward to a World where the poorly educated wingnuts are all working for the honestly educated Harvard and Yale grads. That is, if they can actually find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities