Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Exactly. From Southern California, those who went up north, within the state, to school, to Berkeley, Davis, and even Santa Cruz were viewed as adventurous. The thing is that McGill, or even UBC in Vancouver, could have been doable and the likelihood of being admitted would have been high, though on that combination, I would opt for snow over rain. The UBC campus is beautiful, but somehow very sterile at the same time.
Exactly. The beauty of the UC system. You can go to school in a fresh place with a different personality which is a great school and still be paying in state tuition and not feel like you're back in high school with 50 people you know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
My top ten:

1. Nebraska. I have no idea way, either. Probably had something to do with 'Huskers football always be televised.
2. Bowdoin. I didn't even know this school existed until I moved to Maine. I am surprised so many people have heard of it.
3. University of Maine, Orono.
4. University of New Hampshire.
5. MIT. Okay, this one is ranked #1, if this list was to be in order of rank.
6. UCLA.
7. Tufts.
8. William and Mary.
9. University of Rhode Island.
10. University of Delaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I am NO fan of Minnesota because I hear it's very PC and "nice," but I have seen this campus during a work related trip to Twin Cities and it is a neat place. Again, big urban public school without a cookie-cutter mentality. I know the satellite campus at Duluth is beautiful, but I didn't vote for it, since I've never been to Duluth on Lake Superior, but would very much like to.
It is far from PC and I would say the typical mentality is more along the lines of frat boy/jock, although there are plenty of the PC type.

Not sure what is meant by satellite campus. Duluth is part of the Minnesota system, but it is its own university and not an extension of the flagship Twin Cities campus even though they have the same school colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUowl06 View Post
My list for undergrad

1. University of Notre Dame - I'm not religious but I love ND
Uh, have you ever been to South Bend, IN?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM

64 posts, read 125,692 times
K-luv,

I've been to South Bend. The city definitely has its problems but it wouldn't prevent me from going to ND. Same with Yale and New Haven imo.

The only school on that list I haven't been to is Stanford.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wouldn't it depend on the focus of your persuit? I mean you could list the top 10 Medical schools, the top 10 law schools, the top 10 Engineering schools, the top 10 party schools, the top 10 Theology schools.

Top 10 in what?

I would love to attend the following schools:

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. BYU
4. USC
5. UCLA
I just listed schools I liked, not necessarily what I thought were the best schools.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
My top ten:

3. University of Maine, Orono.
9. University of Rhode Island.
10. University of Delaware.

It is far from PC and I would say the typical mentality is more along the lines of frat boy/jock, although there are plenty of the PC type.

Not sure what is meant by satellite campus. Duluth is part of the Minnesota system, but it is its own university and not an extension of the flagship Twin Cities campus even though they have the same school colors.
Maine sounds like it would be beautiful. However, that campus has come up on granola lists, so that wouldn't work. We agree on Rhode Island. I have heard that Delaware is a nice campus and has got both access to the beaches and Philly, but the one thing that puts it on the map for me is one of the smartest people I have ever met, now a physicist.

By PC, I meant the state of Minnesota as a whole. I don't think one could act like an East Coast person there, for example, and get a red carpet reception. Being Big 10, I would imagine a jock/frat contingent at UM Twin Cities, but I would imagine the urban setting would also make for a lot less conformity. Correct, I know Duluth is its own system campus. I used satellite incorrectly. I would love to one day visit that area ... and the UP of Michigan.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM

506 posts, read 958,480 times
1. Columbia
2. Barnard
3. Georgetown
4. Tufts
5. NYU
6. Berkeley
8. U of Wash.
9. Science Po (Paris, France)
10. London School of Economics and Political science (London, England)

If the list was bigger I would add on more smaller liberal arts colleges since I love those too, but I added ones that are best for my major and field that I would like.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
This is a fun thread. Here's mine:

1. University of Oregon (My alma mater for both undergrad and grad school)
2. University of Colorado at Boulder
3. Cal Berkeley
4. UCLA
5. University of Texas at Austin (wife's alma mater and we live in the area)
6. University of Washington (Ugh, hate their sports, but it's a great school in a great city)
7. Reed College (props to someone who mentioned it. Have a good buddy who went there)
8. Brown University
9. Wisconsin- Madison
10. Evergreen State or Pomona College (tied I guess)

Others receiving votes (primarily for not knowing enough about them, but they seem like they would be interesting to check out): Montana, Michigan, San Diego State- yes to party, UNC- Chapel Hill, UNC- Asheville)

Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I just listed schools I liked, not necessarily what I thought were the best schools.
That is fine, but for me their had to be a purpose to go. When I was younger and making some money I didn't put that much emphasis on going to school. My priority back then was get rich and school was not part of the plan. LOL. How much we learn between then and now.

Saying that, I was always impressed with the following schools when I was in High School. Let me revise my earlier list.

1. Annapolis USNA, Go Navy. I grew up in a Navy town with Point Mugu, home of the Naval Air Station and The Seebee Base in Port Hueneme. Both bases merged back in 2000. Still, back then I would have joined the Navy and figured that it is better to be an Officer than an Enlisted man.

2. Stanford. Always thought it was cool having this great institution in state. If California had an Ivy League Stanford would be a part of it.

3. BYU. Ok So I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and this is a natural pick for me. BYU also maintains a campus in Hawaii and another in Rexburg Idaho. The campus in Provo Utah is amazing though. If I had been visiting there and not been a Mormon I would have picked BYU as a potential place to spend 4 years.

4. USC. Yes I am a Trojan fan. The school is a great Southern California icon of higher learning.

5. UCLA. I would have chosen either USC or UCLA back when I was in high school. I like the West Side better though. UCLA is closer to places that I like to visit in the LA area than USC is.

6. Harvard. For me this place is the king of learning and in getting the best opportunity for a successful life. How many unemployed Harvard people are there anyway?

7. Thomas Aquinas College. I grew up with a library in the home and more importantly a focus of the Great Books of the Western World. Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula Ca focuses on the study of the Great books. I would have loved to attend for that focus and even today would love to go there.

8. Wharton School at University of Pennsylvania. I have always been interested in business and this is a top school.

9. University of Chicago. My mom is from there. I would have loved to spend time in the city she grew up in.

10. MIT. Do I have to add anything to that? Amazing place and a top pick even when I was in high school.

I love each of the above schools. Would have loved to attend any on the list.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
We've been touring a lot of schools with our kids (seniors). My list from those schools and other campuses I've been on over the years would include:

1. Notre Dame-love everything about that place
2. Dickinson
3. Gettysburg
4. Central-Pella, IA is a cute, cute town
5. Harvard--love the look of the campus

not sure after the above .

Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM

30 posts, read 105,085 times
I don't have a big list of schools, but I love the vibes I got from these four:

1.) USC
2.) Berkeley
3.) Brown
4.) Columbia University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities