Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BS in Secondary Edu or BS in Mathematics or #3?
Go for the BS in Secondary Education 6 31.58%
Go for the BS in Mathematics 12 63.16%
Wait for girlfriend to graduate nursing school and let her be your sugarmama! 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times

Advertisements

Hello all my fellow city-data peeps,

I hope that all of you are doing well today.
I have a question that I would like your input on. I have decided that I want to be a math teacher either at a community college or in a high school setting. If I go the community college route I realize I will most likely need a masters degree and will probably try to teach high school while pursuing my masters degree in the evenings. I also have an interest in teaching biology but I have chosen math as my main subject. I'm now between my sophomore and junior years in college and I'm enrolled in a program to receive a BS in Secondary Education w/ an emphasis on mathematics. I have however been thinking of simply getting a BS in Mathematics and getting a minor in Secondary Education. I figured that in the long run if I decided that education wasn't for me the BS in Mathematics would be more marketable than a BS in Secondary Education and with either I could still become a teacher. What are your recommendations? I have had a couple of professors tell me to go with the BS in Mathematics and the minor in Secondary Education b/c many community colleges will only hire you part time to teach math if your degree is in education and not mathematics. Thx for you input my fellow CD members and have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
The math degree would be better, but I'm speaking from the Texas perspective. Texas is trying to phase out education degrees. They prefer that teachers have a degree in the subject they're teaching. Also, Southern Association colleges require a master's degree in order to teach degree-level courses. Only technical, career training, continuing education, and special adult education programs (GED) are allowed to have instructors with a bachelor's or less.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
A BS in math is not very marketable. Go with the education degree.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,276 times
Hmmmm.....

20 Best-Paying College Degrees in 2011 - CBS News

25 college majors with lowest unemployment rates - CBS News

From what I can see is if you want to be a teacher and be employed then that shouldn't be hard to do with a Edu degree. But it doesn't look like it would be hard with a Math degree either. Big difference I can see is the salary range for a Math degree could be significantly higher then a edu degree.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Lol. Nobody who is a nurse is going to make enough $ to be your sugar momma.

Nice try though.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:46 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Not true at all. I know my state is hurting for teachers with math degrees. Now you would have to take some additional classes to meet requirements to be a certified teacher in the state, but if you have a math, biology, or chemistry degree then you can find a job in a heartbeat. For non-teaching positions I might agree, but it depends on your focus. If you also minor in computer science then a math degree can be a good foot in the door. I actually prefer math majors over CS majors, as it shows they can handle more complex work. Too many people with CS degrees that learned only VB and SQL and call themselves programmers.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
Quote:
On what planet?

Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense. I don't know all of the states' regulations, but one can teach with a math degree as long as he or she takes the required education courses. One can also get an alternative teacher certification outside of a degree program. This allows for more flexibility because the math degree can be used in education or another field. The education degree can really only be used for education. Most of the teacher shortages are for math and science anyway.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
BS in math. Teaching degrees are worthless to students. My best high school math teacher has been a computer programmer turned teacher. Plus, you have a wider range of jobs to select from. Math majors are creme of the crop. Actuary positions, banking positions, computer programming etc. Math is the ultimate form of logic.

My 12 year old brother can finish a secondary education in math degree..in half the time.

With double the booze :O

Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Option 3 is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities