Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,005,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

But how likely is it that a fairly pedestrian student who puts in a mediocre effort will survive any engineering program, including Drexel's? Shouldn't the rigorous nature of these programs by themselves weed out the weak and incompetent?
If by survive, you mean pass with a 2 point something, then very, very likely.

Undergraduate engineering programs only weed out the REALLY weak and incompetent, in other words, those that are too busy drinking, smoking weed, and hooking up to spend time on their studies.

You could be in the 25th percentile of your high school class, get into Drexel Engineering, work and play and have a 3.2 GPA.

But Yale rejects valedictorians, and a lot of them. I have no idea about OP's grandson, but typically you have to be a flat out stud to get into Yale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM

919 posts, read 1,776,683 times
For the money, the Cal Polys are outstanding.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM

919 posts, read 1,776,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Harvey Mudd college in southern California is a top engineering school, yet many have never heard of it.
Very true, one of the best and least known of any science/engineering school. I don't know why that is, I guess being only a few miles from CALTECH may be too much to overcome....

Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,270,788 times
Harvey Mudd does not have a graduate program, which means that it has little research presence. Also, it is not well known in the sports world. Usually, a school needs one or the other to have much of a reputation (there are exceptions, of course).

Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM

50,069 posts, read 63,428,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If by survive, you mean pass with a 2 point something, then very, very likely.

Undergraduate engineering programs only weed out the REALLY weak and incompetent, in other words, those that are too busy drinking, smoking weed, and hooking up to spend time on their studies.

You could be in the 25th percentile of your high school class, get into Drexel Engineering, work and play and have a 3.2 GPA.

But Yale rejects valedictorians, and a lot of them. I have no idea about OP's grandson, but typically you have to be a flat out stud to get into Yale.
Haha, GS is not a flat out stud, just a regular smart kid, with varied interests, who is not even in the top 3% of his class, even with a GPA of 4.5 or so. What will happen is, his parents will push for Yale, but if he doesn't feel comfortable with all the flat out studs, or that it's not a good fit for whatever reason, he will go for the comfort level of another school, rather than the prestige.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,005,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Haha, GS is not a flat out stud, just a regular smart kid, with varied interests, who is not even in the top 3% of his class, even with a GPA of 4.5 or so. What will happen is, his parents will push for Yale, but if he doesn't feel comfortable with all the flat out studs, or that it's not a good fit for whatever reason, he will go for the comfort level of another school, rather than the prestige.
Admissions can be fickle, but I would guess he had a lot of extracurriculars going on. I know a few valedictorians that were rejected from Yale, but that was a long time ago. A girl from my school actually got in with less than the typical profile, but both her parents went there. She decided to go somewhere else for that reason. Anyway, it's getting slightly off topic.

Really, it's his choice. But in terms of reputation, my school has done a significant amount in getting me interviews and making employers think I was smart. And it's reputation is significantly less than Yales.

But once you're in the job, it kind of goes away.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,816,263 times
I guess look at the subjects offered, the caliber of the teachers, and the academic resources available to the the students, then factor in the cost. I don't know about Yale but some ivy league schools (including the one I attended for grad school) assign graduate students to teach undergrad subjects. For the money that you pay, you should demand full time teachers with doctorates. Also check if these teachers offer consultation hours and to what extent.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 PM

13 posts, read 30,377 times
Why not try to get into MIT or Rensselaer Poly?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM

50,069 posts, read 63,428,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex5729 View Post
Why not try to get into MIT or Rensselaer Poly?
I know he talked about applying to MIT last year (I even got him a baseball cap from there for Christmas), but for whatever reason, financial or academic, he didn't apply there. He's a very smart kid, but maybe can't compete for financial aid when everyone is a super genius. He'd apply to WPI before Rensselaer, because there's a legacy thing there.

He's just waiting to hear about the money at this point.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,779,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know he talked about applying to MIT last year (I even got him a baseball cap from there for Christmas), but for whatever reason, financial or academic, he didn't apply there. He's a very smart kid, but maybe can't compete for financial aid when everyone is a super genius. He'd apply to WPI before Rensselaer, because there's a legacy thing there.
He's just waiting to hear about the money at this point.
MIT has need blind admissions and no merit scholarships. They would have given him a fin aid package based purely on need. But the school on his list are still good, so it will all work out okay in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities