Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Don't do anything stupid about covers every situation you will encounter....don't skip class, don't drink and drive, don't get so drunk you don't know what you are doing, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
If you are not planning on going to graduate school and are not in a technical major (ie. engineering, computer science) then your classes are actually the least important part of college. Go to class, study hard, and do well - but that's not your only job. You should graduate with at LEAST 3 internships - the more, the better. If you can arrange for one of the internships to be conducted either in a foreign language or abroad in a country where English is not the language of business, all the better. If you have not selected a college, I strongly suggest only choosing schools where your financial aid is portable to study abroad.

Learn to network - join the student arm of your alumni association. They tend to host networking events with alumni who REALLY want to talk to you - it's a great way to learn how to do it.

Join 2 or 3 clubs and stick to them. There is an activities fair at the beginning of the year - don't be afraid to sign up for everything! Figure out what interests you and then dive into those clubs.

The number of hours that you study per hour of class is different per class. I majored in a social science discipline and averaged 3 hours per hour in class because there were large amounts of reading. My classes often required reading 2 or 3 case studies a week - when you factor in time to read, annotate, take notes, and prepare for class discussions, each case could take 2 hours to prepare. Other classes might be an hour to hour ratio - particularly when there was only short response papers to write weekly.

I found college MUCH harder than high school. In high school, it was really easy to do well and get 5s on AP exams without all that much effort. College is a whole other ball game. If you are going to a good college, be prepared to be a little fish in a big pond. It's a great environment to learn, but it can be very tough if you did well in high school.

Most importantly: take control, take risks, be responsible - and have fun!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
One of the things you need to understand to succeed in college is that it is different from high school. For the most part if high school students do the assigned work and show up to class they can get an A. That is not true in college. In order to succeed in college you need to take more responsibility for your own learning. Don't just do the reading, think about the reading and why it is important. Don't just do the math problems, think about the concepts involved.

Have fun!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,196 times
Before you go to college, know what you are getting in to. It may not be the right thing, or the right time. College can be one of the best experiences of your life, but only if you let it. For the most part, you will get out of it exactly what you put in. Go to your classes. All of them. I see so much negative energy geared toward hating on certain classes. ("Why should I have to take this stupid class? It doesn't pertain to my major.") Don't waste time and energy worrying about how many classes you can still miss, or which teachers take attendance, whether you think the class policies are stupid, or text and fart around on Facebook during class. If you have the attitude of "This is mine. I paid for it. I should be able to skip class if I want to," then don't bother. Just go to the damn classes. You may think it's stupid, but that's college. If you want a different experience, go do something else.

Personal responsibility. This is college. There is no time like college to start learning how to be out on your own and take charge of your own life. One of life's greatest pleasures is accomplishing things, and being proud of yourself. Never in a million years will I ever understand why anyone would want something for nothing. Yet, I would say most of my college students did things halfway or not at all, and then whined and complained when they didn't get an A. I'm not sure if this is a sign of the times, or if it was that particular school.

Read the syllabus. YOU are responsible for everything contained within it. Be aware of deadlines. Reminders are not always given.

If you mess up, just accept the outcome. Learn how to fail. Failing a test in college is not the end of the world. Unless there is something seriously out of line, do not go to the teacher and start questioning your grade. I would rather hear a student say, "I just didn't study," rather than create some elaborate stories of fender benders and dead grandmothers. Or just don't say anything.

You are going to have teachers that suck. These situations can be extremely difficult, but you can get through it.

You have the opportunity to be a standout student. Push yourself. Don't fall into a gray area. Think about the impression you want to make, and the mark you want to make on the world, and then do it. I'm currently an Assistant Principal, and I screen hundreds of applications for teachers (not an exaggeration.) Most of them just don't stand out in any way. Anyone can get a 2.5 GPA over five years of undergrad. Don't be "that guy." I don't want to come across as a, "You can do anything if you put your mind to it" person, because I don't actually believe that. But always try your best and show others that you are the best person for the job/the internship/whatever. Otherwise, you are just a number. You are the only one who has the control over that.

There is a whole lot more, but this is what comes to mind right now. You've gotten some great replies on this thread. Take it all in.

Last edited by Eeyore1; 01-11-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Don't fall behind and do not put fun before class. Basically,do not skip class. Ever. Most classes are only an hour long and you'll regret skipping it after. Also, you actually have to study. I found that out the hard way.

It is more than possible to have a social life and have fun on weekends, and do well academically. Just prioritize.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
So I will be starting college in the fall! (Yay me!) And I just wanted to know if there was anything I should know before going out on my own. I know I'll make my own mistakes and learn that way, but since neither one of my parents had that experience I thought maybe others who did could help out.

Thanks in advanced!
Be careful on student loans, there is no bankruptcy protection. Once you have them your only option is paying them!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Take summer classes and lighten your yearly load.

Take some fun interesting classes even if they do nothing to advance your major.

Take a PE class every semester. It will force you to work out. Otherwise you will likely let it slide. This is the time to get or stay in shape. After college your health is probably going to go steadily downhill. Better to start further up the hill.

You do not need to do or buy things that cost money. Lots of fun is free. No one cares anymore whether you wear clothing from Target.

Do not be in a hurry to finish and start working. Whatever your job is, it is not going anywhere and you will likely be doing it for 40 years since no one can retire anymore. Why rush to start, you will be sick of it soon enough.

It will not seem like it, but this is the most free you will ever be in your life. Your time is yours. You have few obligations to others. Do cool stuff now before you have obligations. Be in a play, got rock climbing, jump out of an airplane, learn to scuba dive (take the class in college).

It is really not as hard as it seems at first. Pay attention in class. Read the book or most of it. Figure out what the professors want. Once you figure out how it works, it is not really hard to get As in almost any class.

Get to know your professors. If you are struggling, go see them. That is why they have office hours. Even if not struggling, discuss with them what interests you about the class. You will need recommendations, guidance and support from profs. I cannot overemphasize how important this is.

Schedule your classes so you have a day or two off. You may have to go to classes for 10 or more hours on some days, but having a day or days off is wonderful. One year I only had classes on Tuesday and Thursday. Yes, I went form 8:30 to 9:00 p.m. on those days, but I have time to study have fun, work and I did really well that semester and had the best time ever during college.

Find a job that is fun and/or allows you to do school work. Spring through fall I drove a boat. The first mates always wanted a chance to drive the boat, so I let them and did homework or napped while keeping half an eye on them (I had to handle leaving the dock and landing). IN the winter, I managed an ice skating rink where I could spend at least 25% of my time studying, often more. There are lots of those kinds of jobs around, you just need to apply early to get them. Once you do, work really really hard, get everything done that needs to be done, earn their trust and they will cut you slack for studying. If you hustle and work harder than anyone ever did at that job for a few hours, and then study for a few hours, most employers are fine with it as long as you get the same work done as a person who does not study. I could do in one hour what others took three just by hustling. THen I could study two hours and the employer got the same value.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
You have received some good advice! And I agree with most of it.

With the exception of "not being afraid of morning classes". If you are not a morning person, avoid morning classes at all costs! The same goes for morning people - take morning classes and avoid evening and late night classes. Many people, especially those in late adolescence and early adulthood are hardwired to function best at a certain time of the day. Go with the flow, and find a section that is best for you.

In as much as you can, take electives and requirements that excite and interest you the first year. You will do well in classes that interest you, and doing well will increase your confidence.

Get to know your professors and let them know you! Go to office hours, and share your life experiences. Go to any extra help that is available with the Teaching Assistant (T A) or professor. In many cases, just the act of going, can raise your grade from, say, a "B" to a "B+".

If the class is in a format where contribution is is encouraged, answer questions and contribute. To answer questions, you must have done the reading. By frequently answering questions correctly, you will get the attention of the professor.

Do not take the topic off track by contributing personal, or anecdotal information or opinions to the class.

To echo Coldjensens, lighten your class load by taking your most challenging classes in the summer. You can give the course your full attention and go for extra help. First clear this with your adviser, to be sure that the class will transfer.

Advisers are great for some things but they don't know you. You know yourself best. Case in point, they frequently advise students to take dreaded classes early to "get them over with" where as I and many others advise the reverse. Build up your confidence as a student academic by obtaining good grades in the beginning. Take the class that you dread later in your academic career or best yet, in the summer.

The class syllabus is your best friend and will be the only "hand holding" that you will receive at college. Keep up with the reading. Outline the chapters. Read and re-read them. Never get behind in your reading, but don't be afraid to get ahead. When you have done the reading, you will be able to answer questions any time they are posed the next time the class meets.

Stay in shape! You are fortunate to live in a time when almost all colleges have state of the art gyms with everything from rock climbing walls to swimming pools.

Make friends and have fun. Try things that take you out of your comfort zone! I know that you are a city girl and you have shared with the forum that you are Latina. Most schools have ethnic clubs where you will meet others of your own or a similar background. If you want something familiar and a place to meet students of your background, you may want to join a club like this.

However, don't limit yourself to people of your own background. College is the place to "expand your horizons". Go out of your way to meet friends different from yourself! If there is an opportunity to spend a semester or a year abroad take it!

Lastly, I am expecting you to do well. I'm betting on it! You are determined and seek advice as needed. If you use these qualities in college, you will be a star!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Most of the advice on here is good, with the exception of not working. Unless you are getting EVERYTHING paid for (tuition is only a very small part of the cost of college) you will likely need to take on a part-time job. That also helps you to learn how to budget your time and teaches you even more responsibility. I do agree that you should try to get a job that is close to your major, however, keep in mind that since you are working on a major in a career area you probably won't get a job too close to your major since you won't be qualified yet ( I hope this makes sense I couldn't think of a way to word this). You may be working some retail or restaurant jobs to make ends meet. I will also recommend that you take a job on campus if you can. They will be much more likely to work with your schedule.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I'll add something else. If you are in a class and after the first week it is moving fast or appears to be going over your head - GET OUT! Drop the class and add another.
It does not get better. It will get worse. Listen to your gut.

On a similar note, be aware of your add/drop period!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities