Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM

472 posts, read 809,479 times

Advertisements

This is very interesting. Please read and comment if you have a minute, particularly if you're a parent/student.

From the Chronicle;

Quote:
By the year 2020, minority students will account for 45 percent of the nation's public high-school graduates, up from 38 percent in 2009. In short, the number of white and black graduates will decline, and the number of Hispanic and Asian-American/Pacific Islander graduates will rise significantly.

Those projections appear in the latest edition of Knocking at the College Door, a regular report on demographic change published by the commission, which is known as Wiche.
Wave of Diverse College Applicants Will Rise Rapidly - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Nation's wiche profile: Knocking at the College Door | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-15-2013 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: link and snippet - three sentences - please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
No surprise. Our countries changing demographics was a big discussion point in last years Presidential election. Are we supposed to be upset?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,436 times
I think one reason that the numbers have changed, in addition to what toobusy has said, is that more Hispanics and Asians are getting the chance to go to college.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I think one reason that the numbers have changed, in addition to what toobusy has said, is that more Hispanics and Asians are getting the chance to go to college.
48% Asian Americans have a college degree. It is pretty high already.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
48% Asian Americans have a college degree. It is pretty high already.
And that's not a surprise either. The Asians that move here are the ones that have higher ed degrees. Smart people move to the land of opportunity and expect the same from their kids. Good job, parents!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 217,970 times
no surprise whatsoever. those stats should also include the middle eastern americans as well. i have been reading about the increase number of drop outs through out the country and it's only getting worse. other two popular trends that are bad are also increasing; the obesity rate and the divorce rate and this is not coming from a parent. i'm 23 years old, in school, working full time, watching after my mother, and i am very firm with my younger siblings so they can stand away from the crowd and succeed in life. it's not easy, but nothing good is.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
our Education system is make for Asians. Not even whites can beat them in education.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
As a child of Asian immigrants, their main focus for their children is education. That means MD, Engineer, Business degrees from top schools or bust. It has generally worked. I don't know if that leads to more happiness, but it will be interesting to see what happens to the next generation (my) children.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
This is very interesting. Please read and comment if you have a minute, particularly if you're a parent/student.

From the Chronicle;

Wave of Diverse College Applicants Will Rise Rapidly - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Nation's wiche profile: Knocking at the College Door | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education

Shocking statistic of the day:

Los Angeles Unified School District: 9% White.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Shocking statistic of the day:

Los Angeles Unified School District: 9% White.
LOL you didn't expect the children of Hollywood stars to go to public school did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities