Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM

21 posts, read 32,794 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what conditional admission letter means? It says so in Lane Community College international application. It says "Do you wish to have a conditional admission letter from Lane’s 2+2 partners?" And then you can check either yes or no. Not being native English speaking nor an American, I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,457 times
2+2 means that: after attending Lane Community College for two years, a 4-year college will let you take the last 2 years of courses there and give you a four year degree. However, it's "conditional" because you have to complete the program at Lane Community College and earn a certain grade point average.

If you don't meet those conditions, the partner school will take back, or "rescind" your acceptance. But even if this happens, you will still get your degree from Lane Community College assuming you met all the requirements.

I would say check it if you have any interest in earning a 4-year degree in the United States. Otherwise, check no.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
2+2 means that: after attending Lane Community College for two years, a 4-year college will let you take the last 2 years of courses there and give you a four year degree. However, it's "conditional" because you have to complete the program at Lane Community College and earn a certain grade point average.

If you don't meet those conditions, the partner school will take back, or "rescind" your acceptance. But even if this happens, you will still get your degree from Lane Community College assuming you met all the requirements.

I would say check it if you have any interest in earning a 4-year degree in the United States. Otherwise, check no.
Thank you for your answer! I was stupid enough to have already check the yes box yesterday, before I knew what was really about. So have I pretty much "signed up" for studying at University of Oregon then? Or is it more of a request? I've been told though that I can back out of the offer so to speak, if I don't want to continue on for a bachelor. But who knows, maybe I actually end up doing it after all but it's not in my planning as of now.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,457 times
You don't have to go and you can easily back out of the 2+2 program, probably with just one call or e-mail to whoever your academic adviser is. If you stay signed up for it, you'll still get your associate's whether or not you continue to get your bachelor's.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
You don't have to go and you can easily back out of the 2+2 program, probably with just one call or e-mail to whoever your academic adviser is. If you stay signed up for it, you'll still get your associate's whether or not you continue to get your bachelor's.
Ok, sounds good to hear. Thank you for the help!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
I don't know anything about "Lane Community College", but I would urge you to do a lot of research if you are an international student looking to come over to the US for college. Community colleges usually cater to commuter students who live nearby the school. Most of them do not offer residential services (dormitories), and will have limited dedicated services to assist international students (perhaps none at all). Extra-curricular activities and other means to build a social life may also be limited.

I don't mean to discourage you....I just wanted to point this out. I know that everyone is different and many people will make even the most challenging situations work because they have the drive to do it. But I know with the community college that is in my area...they wouldn't have a clue how to handle an international student (trust me; I've gone there...and my boyfriend's mother works there). They rarely even get students who live out of the county. But like I said before, every school is different. Research what you can first....perhaps see if you can talk to someone, at Lane Community College, who has direct experience with working with international students.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I don't know anything about "Lane Community College", but I would urge you to do a lot of research if you are an international student looking to come over to the US for college. Community colleges usually cater to commuter students who live nearby the school. Most of them do not offer residential services (dormitories), and will have limited dedicated services to assist international students (perhaps none at all). Extra-curricular activities and other means to build a social life may also be limited.

I don't mean to discourage you....I just wanted to point this out. I know that everyone is different and many people will make even the most challenging situations work because they have the drive to do it. But I know with the community college that is in my area...they wouldn't have a clue how to handle an international student (trust me; I've gone there...and my boyfriend's mother works there). They rarely even get students who live out of the county. But like I said before, every school is different. Research what you can first....perhaps see if you can talk to someone, at Lane Community College, who has direct experience with working with international students.
I did a google and Lane seems to be well versed in dealing with internationals.. they even have housing.. she should be fine
International Programs | International Programs | Lane Community College

Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myalice View Post
Thank you for your answer! I was stupid enough to have already check the yes box yesterday, before I knew what was really about. So have I pretty much "signed up" for studying at University of Oregon then? Or is it more of a request? I've been told though that I can back out of the offer so to speak, if I don't want to continue on for a bachelor. But who knows, maybe I actually end up doing it after all but it's not in my planning as of now.
Usually it means that if you meet the requirements you may attend U of Oregon. It usually does not mean you MUST attend U or Oregon.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
I have dealt with Lane CC before when I was at Oregon State.
They have a very solid articulation agreement with University of Oregon. An articulation agreement means that Oregon has agreed that certainly classes (in this case, most classes) will automatically transfer credit to Oregon and the student who completes the 2+2 coursework at the CC level will be automatically admitted to Oregon.

It is a well thought out and thoroughly documented program; probably one of the best and most successful CC to 4-year articulation programs you will find in the country. There is no requirement to continue on from Lane CC to Oregon. In fact, I think Lane has an articulation agreement with all the Oregon public schools (I know they do with Oregon State - I had a minor contribution to the Geosciences portion of the agreement). The U of O agreement is just stronger because it has the conditional acceptance built in.

As well, Lane CC is set up very much like a 4-year campus. The expectations of students are similar to what you would see at Oregon. This is on purpose to make the transition easier.
As an added bonus, Lane is in Eugene just like U of O (really just outside of Eugene). The two campuses are only 5 miles apart. So, you have already lived in the same town as U of O for two years by the time you are ready to transfer schools.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Thank you all for your answers, they are much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities