Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
What would you do with a graduate degree from a school that would accept someone with a 2.3 GPA into their program?
TONS of good grad programs accept people with that low of a GPA.

I think a better question to ask is ... What schools does that kind of GPA rule me out of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
TONS of good grad programs accept people with that low of a GPA.
Baloney. No good program accepts students who are barely able to function at the undergraduate level, absent extenuating circumstances. This could even suffice as a working definition of a good program. Good programs have a plethora of applicants who are far more accomplished. Why would they accept someone from the bottom of the class except, perhaps, in cases of affirmative action?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM

460 posts, read 981,878 times
Quote:
Baloney. No good program accepts students who are barely able to function at the undergraduate level, absent extenuating circumstances. This could even suffice as a working definition of a good program. Good programs have a plethora of applicants who are far more accomplished. Why would they accept someone from the bottom of the class except, perhaps, in cases of affirmative action?
How is an MA in English even an employable degree? Focus on your work experience.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Good programs have a plethora of applicants who are far more accomplished. Why would they accept someone from the bottom of the class except, perhaps, in cases of affirmative action?
Why?

Full Tuition Money for their coffers?

Maybe the top 10 programs will rarely accept someone with that low of a GPA, but 10 to 100 will often. Law, business, and humanities. I've seen it a lot.

A school ranked say 30th in say engineering would easily admit students with that GPA ... maybe sometimes if they had nothing else going on, and you can hardly call that a useless program.

I've seen it too many times. It's the biggest myth that having under a 3.0 dooms you from going to grad school. It's not true at all.

Getting funding is a totally different story...

Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Times change and people change. Who you are and the work ethic you have at the traditional college age of 18-22 is not who you are or will be for the rest of your life. At this age, many of us didn't know our heads from our rear ends, much less all the twists and turn our lives and careers would take us. I had absolutely no sense until I was 21-22, and by then, it was too late to undue those early mistakes.

The truth is that as our society demands more education, those who performed poorly in a bachelor's program can be stuck in a "no man's land" of being unable to get into graduate school due to low grades and also unable to get financial assistance in going back for more courses to boost GPA or a second bachelor's. Why should someone who got their act together after college, moved up the ranks, and is a director at 40 be denied at least conditional admission to a program, provided they can otherwise do well on the GRE/GMAT?

Unfortunately, as the race for education continues, schools can continue being even more selective and restrictive when admitting applicants.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,600 times
^^ Financial assistance? Does the company at which you are a director not have a tuition-refund program?

Also . . . a number of MBA programs will accept accomplished adults who lack a BA/BS. At one time, Wake Forest did this. More generally, admission policies are more flexible than you might think for adults who have actually, really, distinguished themselves (not just in their own minds . . .).

Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

Unfortunately, as the race for education continues, schools can continue being even more selective and restrictive when admitting applicants.
More like, as the race for education continues, universities increase their enrollment, and lax their admission standards. This is particularly true for graduate schools.

Somebody is benefiting from all that extra tuition $. I'm not sure who.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 AM

241 posts, read 316,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
More like, as the race for education continues, universities increase their enrollment, and lax their admission standards. This is particularly true for graduate schools.

Somebody is benefiting from all that extra tuition $. I'm not sure who.
I actually disagree with this. ACT and SAT's and GPA's are up across the top schools. There are more for profit schools and lower tier schools that will accept virtually any one but I don't think that's a good thing.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM

460 posts, read 981,878 times
Quote:
^^ Financial assistance? Does the company at which you are a director not have a tuition-refund program?

Also . . . a number of MBA programs will accept accomplished adults who lack a BA/BS. At one time, Wake Forest did this. More generally, admission policies are more flexible than you might think for adults who have actually, really, distinguished themselves (not just in their own minds . . .).
The Executive MBA program is typically for candidates with a number of years of management experience. Their GMAT and GPA requirements are not particularly high but I am sure their work experience standards are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities