Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 AM

38 posts, read 61,587 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I know i posted a similar topic some time ago, but i guess that was a too broad and long of a post..

right now im a general bio major, which I might change to something more specific.
If I only decide to major in bio, then i can graduate in the standard 4 years.

However, while I like bio, I do not want to go to grad school for it and I know right now there is not alot of demand for bio BSs.

So, Im thinking of spending another year to get a second major, which is in statistics (or economics - which is about 30 units less). I know for sure statistics is at least a more solid degree.
Another year will cost me about ~$10k.

Im not sure what I want to do in life, but...I really want good pay lol.

1) maybe finance using the statistics degree.
2) Some kind of dream biology job where I get to travel around the world and do some biology stuff!!! haha that would be so awesome!

anyways, thanks for reading if you read the whole post... I just need some feedback. Im going to the counselors on tuesday.
EDIT: the degrees will come from UC Davis if that matters :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 AM

Dam!!!!
Every time I try to create a short post, it ends up being so long winded.

sorry everyone

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Here is your old thread What to do in my situation? You posted it in a different forum, that's why you didn't see it here. If you'd like I can merge it with this one here or over in the other forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The great chase View Post
Hey all,
I know i posted a similar topic some time ago, but i guess that was a too broad and long of a post..

right now im a general bio major, which I might change to something more specific.
If I only decide to major in bio, then i can graduate in the standard 4 years.

However, while I like bio, I do not want to go to grad school for it and I know right now there is not alot of demand for bio BSs.

So, Im thinking of spending another year to get a second major, which is in statistics (or economics - which is about 30 units less). I know for sure statistics is at least a more solid degree.
Another year will cost me about ~$10k.

Im not sure what I want to do in life, but...I really want good pay lol.

1) maybe finance using the statistics degree.
2) Some kind of dream biology job where I get to travel around the world and do some biology stuff!!! haha that would be so awesome!

anyways, thanks for reading if you read the whole post... I just need some feedback. Im going to the counselors on tuesday.
EDIT: the degrees will come from UC Davis if that matters :P
How much extra will the extra year cost and how much more can you expect to make on an annual basis with the statistics degree?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
^^I would phrase it a little differently, as I don't see it as entirely an ROI issue. What would the benefit of the second degree be? Would you be more employable?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I would phrase it a little differently, as I don't see it as entirely an ROI issue. What would the benefit of the second degree be? Would you be more employable?
I agree it is not entirely an ROI issue but that does play into it a bit. I think we need to know the answer before we can answer the question.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here is your old thread What to do in my situation? You posted it in a different forum, that's why you didn't see it here. If you'd like I can merge it with this one here or over in the other forum.
Hi, thanks for the offer but i'd like to keep it separate please - this post feels more clean ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabear
How much extra will the extra year cost and how much more can you expect to make on an annual basis with the statistics degree?
As for the cost of a fifth.. it will cost me a year of life and about $10k (includes tuition + housing but not food/books/misc). It really depends - I have to go to the financial aid office and see if they will stop giving me full paid tuition for a fifth year.
Im in my 3rd year right now and for tuition + housing, I pay about $10k. For my 3rd year, ill be paying $8.5k and possibly less..

And by "me" I mean it will mostly be my parents LOL - thats why if i get a fifth year then ill probably end up taking out a subsidized loan.

Im pretty sure the statistics(or possibly economics)will allow more flexibility + make me more marketable?

Haha, the thing is im not sure which is why im asking you guys!

I have been researching and it seems biology BS degrees are having trouble finding jobs whereas everyone is telling me a statistics(possibly econ) degree is more employable.

I feel like spending the one extra year now, might be better than having to go back to school later if things dont work out

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM

67 posts, read 242,532 times
How much math/stat do you have right now? Are you sure you can do enough to get a stat degree in two semesters?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD357 View Post
How much math/stat do you have right now? Are you sure you can do enough to get a stat degree in two semesters?
I have 2 out of the 3 calculus series cleared.
I also have a beginning stats course done as well..

Im actually in the quarter system and Im gonna try to take bio and stats at the same time because the stats classes will be spread out.

Tonight Im gonna have to look at the schedules and see how im going to fit it all..

If I cannot fit in stats, then ill probably just do econ and take an extra 1/3 - 2/3rds of a year to finish it.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
My daughter went to a private college, and they had a policy that any graduate could take another semester for a fairly modest price. I don't remember the figures right now, but it was considerably less than the cost of a semester for the undergrads. Don't know if this applies in the OP's case.

A friend of hers did this; he really wanted to major in psychology, but due to some parental pressure majored in math instead. He graduated, then went another semester later to get the credits to also have a psych degree, from whence he went to grad school in counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities