Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM

338 posts, read 741,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Like Sheena said, did you take an aptitude/career interest survey in HS? I think ALL HSs give them out. If so, what did it say? Most people remember the top results such a test kicked out.
I don't think I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There's another stereotype. Accounting does NOT require higher math. It just requires adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages or ratios. Accounting becomes difficult because you are applying these very simple tasks to commercial transactions and sometimes regulatory/legal concepts. A lot of people who slog through college with C+/B- averages in business sometimes inadvertently end up in accounting positions and, because of industry knowledge they accumulate over the years (insurance, health care, defense, construction, etc.), they sometimes do better in life than one would expect.
Very true. I didn't finish college because I could not do basic math like algebra (I took a non-credit remedial course and failed that) but at the time I was pursuing a degree in Accounting. I took Accounting I, II, and III and got an A in each one of them. My brain just does not retain math concepts. When I realized I was never going to be able to graduate because math was required, I became discouraged and stopped going to night school.

Weirdly, I passed the math CLEP exam as part of the requirements to move up into the management ranks at work. If you were already working there and could attain a certain score on three of the General CLEP exams--Math, English and History, you could waive the college degree requirement to be eligible for the management levels. I not only passed the math CLEP, I exceeded by a good margin the minimum score my employer required. It was multiple choice. I could look at the question and the four answers and pretty much guess which was the correct one, but I would never in a million years have been able to show you how to get to that answer.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Isn't that what I said?
Reading it again, yes, I think that's what you implied. However, I was saying it for the benefit of the OP and any other reader who wigs out at accounting. When I was on FB before deleting it, I rekindled a friendship with a girl I'd gone to college with. We were "laughing" in cyberspace at how the accountants who were at the top of their classes, in GPA/rank, thought they were the "creme de la creme," especially after getting offers from a couple of the big accounting firms. General business majors were a lot easier to stomach and hang out with. The reality is that the accountants could never pull the same grades in science and engineering, so their hauteur was completely unwarranted. Some of these folks were "geek's geeks." At any rate, yes, it is an employable major which does not require difficult math.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I don't think I did.
I'm surprised. Go to your high school, if still in. If not, go to your community college and contact the counseling center, where you might pay a nominal fee for the test(s). Tell them you are a tax-paying resident of their area and want to take the career assessment tests.

Most likely, you will see a Strong Interest Inventory. It assesses how much you are like to people successful in that field. Make darn sure you take a second test, which assesses skills you like to use or interest you, rather than the importance of a personality fit found in the Strong test.

I took it in high school. Results: all technical occupations. I took it 2 years after college. I paid $15 or so. The Strong test results were extremely high scores as Marketing Executive and Advertising Executive, followed by financial services. I thought this was laughable. How could an analytical, more introverted type of person be a marketing or ad executive? I don't play golf, hate schmoozing, and don't care for many creative types. I do like its social science components, but that wasn't enough. I thought there was some lack of reliability in the results. On the other hand, the skills oriented test provided different results - toward more finite results-oriented, task-oriented work. Those results made more sense.

Bottom line: I think the Strong Interest Inventory, standing alone, is not that good. You don't pick because of a personality match. It's not a date. You pick on skills you have and like to use. That requires another (a second) test evaluating skills and aptitudes.

Start from there. The tests ask a lot of questions and will figure out you don't like math or numbers. The suggested careers will factor these answers into consideration.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
OK, so I'm no good at math (I can't even do algebra), and I wonder if there are any good majors and/or degrees that don't involve math or science, or am I doomed to be a failure in life?
If you're having trouble with algebra, then I suggest that you get a tutor and try harder. You're saying that you can't even get through middle school level math.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy
Sorry, have to disagree. Not sure on math requirements but all three of these are still going to be relatively science-heavy.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
Well imo do what you want and don't be mislead by the media. Couple years ago I'd say suck it up and learn math but times are changing. Private enterprises are cutting back on training programs, entry level positions, and interns. Responses to Obama's new economic reforms. It's no secret his policies hurt private enterprise and thus, hurt the younger generation.

Private enterprise only made 170,000 new jobs/internships for recent grads this year. Only 70,000 of them are paid. That number includes all industries. Roughly 1.7 mil people will graduate this year or I should say 1.7mil recent grads will compete for 70,000 jobs. Obviously that's not good and reality is getting rid of the myths. The truth is NO ONE is hiring and it doesn't matter what degree you get. Science and Math degrees are slightly better than other useless liberal arts degrees, but not by much. Younger generation faces toooooo much competition from ALL sides (seniors-recent grads-millions underemployed) and it just continues to get worse. Of course the govt. is pretty much ignoring the issue, but somethings gotta give and I foresee a "powder keg" in the future. Won't occur soon since Generation Y has no balls, but someone will crack once he or she realizes the govt. screwed him or her over big time.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Well imo do what you want and don't be mislead by the media. Couple years ago I'd say suck it up and learn math but times are changing. Private enterprises are cutting back on training programs, entry level positions, and interns. Responses to Obama's new economic reforms. It's no secret his policies hurt private enterprise and thus, hurt the younger generation.

Private enterprise only made 170,000 new jobs/internships for recent grads this year. Only 70,000 of them are paid. That number includes all industries. Roughly 1.7 mil people will graduate this year or I should say 1.7mil recent grads will compete for 70,000 jobs. Obviously that's not good and reality is getting rid of the myths. The truth is NO ONE is hiring and it doesn't matter what degree you get. Science and Math degrees are slightly better than other useless liberal arts degrees, but not by much. Younger generation faces toooooo much competition from ALL sides (seniors-recent grads-millions underemployed) and it just continues to get worse. Of course the govt. is pretty much ignoring the issue, but somethings gotta give and I foresee a "powder keg" in the future. Won't occur soon since Generation Y has no balls, but someone will crack once he or she realizes the govt. screwed him or her over big time.
True. But at the same time, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook and so on have to hire thousands of foreign students every year, because there are not enough American students for them to use.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM

338 posts, read 741,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you're having trouble with algebra, then I suggest that you get a tutor and try harder. You're saying that you can't even get through middle school level math.
I have a brain injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities