Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM

10,325 posts, read 10,584,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The best route for many in the future will be the trades that cannot be outsourced: electricians, plumbers, carpenters, pipefitters, and the like. There will be some math and they do require some mechanical aptitude, but they'll make more money and enjoy more freedom in the future than most. Ask yourself: can the job be sent overseas? Does the job have to be done? Is the field already overcrowded? If no to all, it's a good bet.
Most of these jobs require a lot of basic math; the kind of math our schools don't want to ensure that students understand thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There's another stereotype. Accounting does NOT require higher math. It just requires adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages or ratios. Accounting becomes difficult because you are applying these very simple tasks to commercial transactions and sometimes regulatory/legal concepts. A lot of people who slog through college with C+/B- averages in business sometimes inadvertently end up in accounting positions and, because of industry knowledge they accumulate over the years (insurance, health care, defense, construction, etc.), they sometimes do better in life than one would expect.
Accounting does not require higher math but many accounting programs require completion of calculus and a couple courses in statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Also, whatever major you choose, be aware that math requirements will vary from university to university, for the same degree, and within a university for different degrees, often in a way that makes NO sense at all.

I was previously planning on attending a university in another state for a Bachelor's in Speech-Language Pathology. That school did not require college algebra as part of the core and was fine with a student taking Liberal Arts Math. As someone who struggles greatly with math, the LA math is still tough but I have a much greater chance of actually passing it vs. college algebra.

When I decided not to move there and researched other schools, many of them insisted on college algebra for the same degree. BS, BA, didn't matter.

The silliness is apparent at my own current school. I was previously a "Pre-communication disorders" major (again, Speech-language pathology) and while they were officially wanting college algebra, they were willing to accept Lib Arts math from a student if the student had taken it elsewhere and transferred the credit, in lieu of College algebra. So I was going to be able to go back to the community college and take it then transfer it and get an exception.

Now, I have changed majors to psychology and I MUST have the stinking college algebra to take statistics. With my previous plan I needed statistics too but not specifically psych stats and so the pre-req math class could have been LA Math.

Doesn't make sense to me at all since previously I was considered a "Health Professions" student, so more of a hard-science set of courses, and now I am under the Liberal Arts umbrella as a psych major. My point here is, there doesn't always seem to be a rhyme or reason with what is required and what is not, so if you are trying to avoid a certain math class, it pays to poke around and see who requires what. Some of it just seems completely arbitrary to me.
Good point about what different colleges and different schools within the same university require. It is similar with taking a foreign language. It is always a good idea to research the specific degree requirements when deciding on a college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,096,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am not good at higher math either, but if I had a do over I think I would like accounting. I know many instances where people who were like me have found success at something orderly and predictable like accounting.
Algebra is not higher math.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM

338 posts, read 740,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I see. I'm not knowledgeable in this area so I have nothing concrete to add. All I can say is that you must find a tutor who has experience teaching Math to students who have a condition similar to your condition.

Math, whether you like it or not, is used in almost all day-to-day dealings so you need to master the basics to be successful. Good luck!
I know addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages, etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,567,509 times
Even if you are OK with math and science, it's a good idea to avoid most of Sci&Eng fields (job wise). Sci&Eng are very competitive (especially sci) since it's open to just about any Chinese peasant who has no other options in life than zombifying himself in schools & labs 24/7. Sweatshop like conditions killed science as something creative and enjoyable, imo. It's a good idea to disregard each and every career "counselor" BS, they either have no clue or they are less than straightforward about "what it takes" and "chances to land a job". And they definitely have no clue about "what it takes to keep a job".

Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Even if you are OK with math and science, it's a good idea to avoid most of Sci&Eng fields (job wise). Sci&Eng are very competitive (especially sci) since it's open to just about any Chinese peasant who has no other options in life than zombifying himself in schools & labs 24/7. Sweatshop like conditions killed science as something creative and enjoyable, imo. It's a good idea to disregard each and every career "counselor" BS, they either have no clue or they are less than straightforward about "what it takes" and "chances to land a job". And they definitely have no clue about "what it takes to keep a job".
Then what jobs are left?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,567,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
Then what jobs are left?
Common, only 5% of population does something that remotely requires above average Math&Sci knowledge and credentials. 95% do something that don't require a sci&eng degree. There is some serious marketing misinformation out there. What to do depends on your goals, big bucks, above average security, interests, etc.. Just follow the herd if you don't know what to do, the jobs with highest social status incidentally offer the highest ratio of (pay off/efforts). Please, disregard each and every career "counselor" for your own sake.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,723,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Common, only 5% of population does something that remotely requires above average Math&Sci knowledge and credentials. 95% do something that don't require a sci&eng degree. There is some serious marketing misinformation out there. What to do depends on your goals, big bucks, above average security, interests, etc.. Just follow the herd if you don't know what to do, the jobs with highest social status incidentally offer the highest ratio of (pay off/efforts). Please, disregard each and every career "counselor" for your own sake.
95% do something that don't require college education. Seriously, most of the office jobs require nothing about college education.
Math, science and engineering REQUIRE college education, and those who succeed are guaranteed to be smart and self-motivated. ANY employer loves smart and self-motivated workers.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
95% do something that don't require college education. Seriously, most of the office jobs require nothing about college education.
Math, science and engineering REQUIRE college education, and those who succeed are guaranteed to be smart and self-motivated. ANY employer loves smart and self-motivated workers.
Are you saying I'm doomed?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,723,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
Are you saying I'm doomed?
Of course not. But you need to show you are talented/skillful in other ways.
A science degree from a decent college with decent GPA always shows that.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Of course not. But you need to show you are talented/skillful in other ways.
A science degree from a decent college with decent GPA always shows that.
For now, I'm taking online at my local CC for 2 years, then 2 years at UT. It's because it's cheaper, according to my mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities