Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

I have been kind of disturbed by some recent posts where people have said that they did no or possibly could not graduate from college without passing Math, most often Algebra.

That's sad to me. People have different skills and gifts and some people are more Right brained, creative, and language oriented while others are more left brained, mathematically oriented. I know that's terribly;y simplistic, but you get the idea.

Back in the mid 70s through early eighties, there were many good colleges that did not require any mathematics in order to graduate. In fact, it was looking as though General Education, or Distributional Requirements were going to be a thing of the past.

However, at most colleges and universities by the late 80s they were back in full force.

I started wondering if there were, other than Harvard, any 4 year institutions that did not require mathematics and I thought I'd share my initial findings. I still need to completely verify them though.

There are some, but not many. According to what I have read the following schools do not require one Math course in order to graduate -

Earlham
Brown
Hiram
Bard
Evergreen
Kenyon
and Smith

There are colleges that permit a Science Substitution for those with a diagnoses of Dyscauclia. Many people, including the Spell Check on my computer, have never heard of Dyscaculia.
Essentially it's dyslexia but with numbers.

While doing my research I came across some forums where people got down right mean and nasty at the thought that a person could graduate from college with out an understanding of Math. People were calling others "Morons" "Lazy" "hopeless" and worse.

It's funny, we do not ask STEM majors to write a poem or short story in order to graduate. They just need to read one, or several, and write down what they think of it. They need to know a few famous poets and short story writers and the type of literature they write. But, they do not actually need to WORK in prose or poetry. Just know about it.

After all, they are never going to actually need to write a poem, a story or a book. And I agree with that.

However Right Brained folks do not only need to know what calculus, algebra, and trigonometry are, what they are used for and be able to spout off the names of a few famous mathematicians, they need to WORK mathematical problems when in fact they are never going to need to solve an equation or what ever else those people do because I haven't done it or needed it since ...1980 something...

It's not exactly fair.

ANYWAY - Please add to my already scanty list. Really don't want to argue about who needs Math or doesn't. I would just like to compile a list of colleges that don't require math.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-05-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
What do employers think of your transcript, if there is not a single math course?
Sometimes finding a short cut is the worst way to solve a problem.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Bennington, Sarah Lawrence, Goddard, Marlboro.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What do employers think of your transcript, if there is not a single math course?
Sometimes finding a short cut is the worst way to solve a problem.

Most employers could care less what is on your transcript.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,372 times
FYI, no math requirement for schools like Brown, Kenyon, Bard, or Smith is illusory. The reason is that those schools have competitive admissions. Just to get in, your H.S. transcript and standardized testing will show a proficiency in math that is probably sufficient for a lot of non-science or technical majors.

Mastery of alegebra or advanced alegebra is sufficent for a ton of majors out there and that is taught in high school. I graduated with a degree in accounting and have used calculus in my job maybe twice in my life. Not to solve anything, just to know enough to know I don't know this stuff and needed to bring in an actuary.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
what are some jobs that require a college degree that don't require math of any kind?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
what are some jobs that require a college degree that don't require math of any kind?
Do you mean more then HS math? We're talking Colleges in this thread and there are many, many jobs (including my own) where the only math required is simple stuff I learned even before HS.

Back to the OP - Many colleges may allow you to pass out of basic math if you took a higher level math in HS.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Do you mean more then HS math? We're talking Colleges in this thread and there are many, many jobs (including my own) where the only math required is simple stuff I learned even before HS.

Back to the OP - Many colleges may allow you to pass out of basic math if you took a higher level math in HS.
There are many degrees in college where the only math needed is college algebra, which is on par with HS math.

I didn't take any math in college (Tested out with a 30 on the ACT of the math portion).

What is your job and is a college degree actually a pre-requisite or is it more of a preferred qualification.

Many people don't realize that most jobs in the US don't actually require a college degree.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

78,350 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
FYI, no math requirement for schools like Brown, Kenyon, Bard, or Smith is illusory. The reason is that those schools have competitive admissions. Just to get in, your H.S. transcript and standardized testing will show a proficiency in math that is probably sufficient for a lot of non-science or technical majors.

Mastery of alegebra or advanced alegebra is sufficent for a ton of majors out there and that is taught in high school. I graduated with a degree in accounting and have used calculus in my job maybe twice in my life. Not to solve anything, just to know enough to know I don't know this stuff and needed to bring in an actuary.
^^^Bingo. Good luck getting into most of those schools with a mediocre Math SAT score.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM

78,350 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's funny, we do not ask STEM majors to write a poem or short story in order to graduate. They just need to read one, or several, and write down what they think of it. They need to know a few famous poets and short story writers and the type of literature they write. But, they do not actually need to WORK in prose or poetry. Just know about it.

After all, they are never going to actually need to write a poem, a story or a book. And I agree with that.

However Right Brained folks do not only need to know what calculus, algebra, and trigonometry are, what they are used for and be able to spout off the names of a few famous mathematicians, they need to WORK mathematical problems when in fact they are never going to need to solve an equation or what ever else those people do because I haven't done it or needed it since ...1980 something...

It's not exactly fair.
There is a full expectation that STEM types be able to spell correctly, use proper punctuation and so forth so while they may not have to write poetry they sure as heck need to have the basics down and they use those basics in every single class in college.

The schools that do require math for an english or writing major generally only require "math lite" type classes like statistics for business majors and so forth. In many of those types of classes you just need rudimentary skills as you are often allowed to bring in calculators, formula sheets and in some cases open book. I think these classes are a fairer comparison to the "english lite" classes you are describing above.

Statistics and especially a topic like interest theory are IMO very important for everyone to have a rudimentary grasp of in modern society. (I mean how many people do we hear claiming they didn't *understand* their home loan? )

Just this summer I helped a friend negotiate their car purchase. They aren't strong in math so I road shotgun. After presenting the first offer....the salesman returned with the same price only spread over 6 years instead of 5 years of payments as being "cheaper". Suffice to say, I spotted it immediately and proceeded to grind out a much better REAL deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities