Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, perhaps they have obligations outside of work; hated college the first time through; think it will be too hard; lack the motivation; etc.

Your survey method is biased in that it is self-reporting.
Let me rephrase. I asked the tuition reimbursement officer who I submit my paperwork to how many people at our corporate headquarters are utilizing our companies tuition reimbursement? She said 3 out of the 156.(roughly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Some companies only offer tuition reimbursement is a field aligned directly with your work. For example, if you are an engineer and want to get an MBA the employer may not pay for that but would pay for a master's in engineering.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Let me rephrase. I asked the tuition reimbursement officer who I submit my paperwork to how many people at our corporate headquarters are utilizing our companies tuition reimbursement? She said 3 out of the 156.(roughly).
You said you were surprised by the answers given by posters in this thread, which is your sample. Sooner or later, as evidenced by other threads of similar topics, someone is going to pipe in with No. Even if it was free it would still be a waste of my time.

Your "survey" (read: thread) is biased because it is voluntary. Basically, only those who wish they could go to college for free and those who have a strong opinion against why it is a lame idea are going to respond.

Basically, you shouldn't be surprised by the number of "yes" replies; in particular since your work environment is a closed space and this thread is open to anyone with an Internet account. Essentially, a drop of water in an entire pond (well, a New England pond, anyways).

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,267 times
Quote:
if you could get your masters for free (paid by employer) would you?

heck yes!!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Definitely. However, the rub is that they will almost always only pay for you to take courses in a discipline that will benefit the organization - which is more than fair in my opinion. So no MA in feminist theories on medieval literature.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Definitely. However, the rub is that they will almost always only pay for you to take courses in a discipline that will benefit the organization - which is more than fair in my opinion. So no MA in feminist theories on medieval literature.
See, as someone getting their MS in Professional Writing, I could take electives in feminist or medieval literature if I wanted to. Getting your MBA, or most any other "applicable" degree probably wouldn't allow you the same type of electives.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Very early in my career I taught some basic math courses at night for a major university.

It occurred to me that people often underestimate how hard it is for students who take after-hours courses. Most of them were simply tired out after a day's work.

Hats off to anybody who earns a meaningful degree part-time at night! I've seen people do it in engineering, but it's not easy.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
If you could get your masters for free (paid by employer) would you?
Yes. Don't turn down a free education, however, learn from my mistake and get the degree your employer wants not the one you want. I wanted a masters in engineering and my employer wanted me to get an MBA. 20/20 hind sight says I'd be in middle management right now if I'd done that. They tagged me for management but my decision to tech track, ultimately, resulted in derailing my career.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Most organizations offer tuition plans with a stipulation, like having to remain with the company for 2 years after degree completion or pay back what they gave you.

So, it may make sense for someone who wants an MA/MS/MBA in a particular field to further his/her career to take advantage of it. But, if you don't have any specific plans may potentially find a great job offer from another company 2 years from now, why put yourself in that situation?

Plus many people have families, kids, etc. It's difficult to go to class 2-3 evenings a week and raise kids, especially when they are going just to go.

Also, some companies stipulate that the Master's has to relate to the business.
For instance, I know someone who works for a health insurance company. In order to qualify for tuition reimbursement, the classes have to relate to the business; think of something like Healthcare Administration or something to that effect.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,547 times
Heck yeah. I mean, if I could pick the degree program. I don't think I would just work through any grad program, even if it was free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities