Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM

285 posts, read 1,203,069 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a degree in theater and take business class and acting classes to be in Casting for the entertainment industry. Im still trying to figure out a back up plan career, but my main goal is to complete all of my core classes, "general ed classes".

So if I completed all of my general ed classes and Casting doesnt really work out and me having to come up with another career.

Would I have to complete the general ed classes again? To get a degree for another career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,262,721 times
I've often wondered. If what you want to study could be done as a masters, then no. If what you want to study has to be a bachelor's, then I don't know. At the very least, your general ed will be aligned with their checklist for conformance. I know that certain schools do NOT allow second bachelors in some fields, if at all.

Maybe someone with "hands on" knowledge will weigh in.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
I don't have any hands on knowledge, but as with all of this stuff, IT DEPENDS, IT DEPENDS, IT DEPENDS. It depends on the college and their policies.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,367,554 times
It really does depend. If it's a second degree at the same university, or in many cases the same state, then probably not. Otherwise it's up to the second university to determine which gen ed courses transfer.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,105,495 times
Some schools won't allow you to get a second bachelors if you have completed one already. It might be better planning to get a second major now-business or something, and less expensive.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,262,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Some schools won't allow you to get a second bachelors if you have completed one already. It might be better planning to get a second major now-business or something, and less expensive.
In CA, the UC system does not want to hand out second bachelor degrees. However, I believe those are available at the CSU system. In most good state schools with a lot of applicants for spots, they don't want people coming through around another time. That's what people who majored in something else who then wanted a science degree did, in order to go to dental or medical school.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
In CA, the UC system does not want to hand out second bachelor degrees. However, I believe those are available at the CSU system. In most good state schools with a lot of applicants for spots, they don't want people coming through around another time. That's what people who majored in something else who then wanted a science degree did, in order to go to dental or medical school.
Not trying to be contrarian, but let's say someone majored in history and wanted to go into nursing after a few years of doing nothing in the workforce. Assuming the UC system is more prestigious and has a better placement rate for its graduates and reputation among other univeristies, under your scenario, the UC graduate cannot come back to the primary system and has to go to a second-tier system to gain that second bachelor's, which doesn't have as strong of a reputation among other universities and has a weaker placement rate among employers?

Under most conditions, I don't see how a person would be better served getting a second bachelor's under such a scheme versus doing nothing at all. If a person wants to study at the graduate level in a field, often they have to have a bachelor's in that field or a closely related field as a condition of admission into the program. If a person cannot easily go back for the second bachelor's, or has to go to a poorly regarded school to do so, the benefits of retraining seem almost nil. A system in which prior mistakes can hardly be corrected is a very poor one to entrust our welfare to.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,162,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I would like to get a degree in theater and take business class and acting classes to be in Casting for the entertainment industry. Im still trying to figure out a back up plan career, but my main goal is to complete all of my core classes, "general ed classes".

So if I completed all of my general ed classes and Casting doesnt really work out and me having to come up with another career.

Would I have to complete the general ed classes again? To get a degree for another career?
While there is much overlap in distribution of the gen ed courses, what college A requires and allows is probably not going to be the same as what colleges B, C, and F require and allow. When I transferred, my new university had a communications requirement that my old university did not, and my old university required three semesters of English and while the new university only required two.

Each university has its own requirements. When you enter a new school, you still have to meet their requirements in order to graduate. In general, though, this probably would not amount to more than an additional two courses of gen ed.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,211,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post

No, not at most colleges. If you are told that you do, shop around for another college.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,105,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
No, not at most colleges. If you are told that you do, shop around for another college.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Most schools won't accept credits that are more than 5 years old either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities