Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Speaking of janitors, I was looking at jobs at one of the library systems in my home area and the janitor makes more money than the people required to have a college degree. $3,000-4,000 more. I was somewhat shocked; I say somewhat because I think sometimes companies pay more for dirty jobs because it can be hard to find someone who can do a good job.
Taking a isolated example and applying it witha broa brush is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Taking a isolated example and applying it witha broa brush is a bad idea.
Where in my post did I say ALL janitors make a lot of money?

I don't think anyone would look at my post and come away thinking they need to be a janitor, sanitation engineer, or anything related.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
When people talk about the professions, I think they mean the "classical" definition of professions. Here is an article of explanation: Profession. I know it's a wikipedia article, but this is what I learned what a profession was and the distinctions from other jobs.

I went to an all-male Catholic high school, and the faculty made sure to explain that being clergy was considered one of the original professions.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM

460 posts, read 981,768 times
Has anybody mentioned the entrance requirements of different universities? In California, you need to take the SAT and two SAT subject tests to even qualify for a crappy University of California campus in Merced. This goes beyond standard high school course requirements. 10 years ago, you used to have to take three SAT subject tests. GPAs above 3.0 are practically required too.

If you want to qualify for the California State University system, you only need to take the SAT and have at least a 2.0.

If you transfer from a community college to university, you don't need to ever take the SAT. All you need to do is get good grades for two years at the local CC.

Employers will look at someone from CSU-Chico differently than from UC-Berkeley, even given that each person got a technical major (science, engineering, economics).

Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
A lot of this seems like a combination of supply and demand and sour grapes. As long as the labor market favors employers they can do as they like and a college degree tends to suggest a level of being able to work independently and is perceived as a good indicator of certain desirable skills.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Does anyone else see what a favor this is to teachers unions and the politicians they run?
Considering the OP's article comes out of Georgia where teachers unions are illegal I would tend to doubt that teachers unions are the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities