Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times

Advertisements

Not what many people want to hear, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...companies.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
In terms of the people featured in the story, I can't say I'm surprised that they landed these jobs.
I have heard way too many stories of people getting themselves into a LOT of debt for these Art Institute "degrees".
If you major in liberal arts, don't expect to come out of college and land a high-paying job-at least not a job relating to your field. I don't think English, Sociology, and Gender Studies majors are in high demand. I say this as someone who holds a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology.

My friends and I a few years ago were having a conversation about the college degree being the new high school diploma. In some ways, this is true. At the same time, I think if one is smart about college: picking a degree that is in-demand and/or highly marketable, choosing to attend an affordable college, taking advantage of the resources on your campus (career services, internship opportunities, making connections with professors, leadership opportunities), etc. then it can be a great investment.

I just don't understand people in my generation [I'm 22] who are going into debt for generic degrees. Do you really expect to be in demand when you're majoring in English or Anthropology?

I started out in community college with my tuition and fees fully paid for. I applied for a transfer scholarship and my tuition and fees were covered to finish up my B.A. I applied to a few grad schools and picked the one that offered me the best financial deal AND made sense professionally.

My advice to any high school student is to start out at community college if you cannot have all of your tuition, fees, AND room + board paid for at a four year university. Check into scholarships at the four year university you want to transfer to. Some colleges have them; some don't. In my state of Arkansas, many of the four year public universities offered a transfer scholarship.
Sure, attending community college you won't have the college experience that you see in television shows and in movies BUT at least you won't be saddled with a lot of debt when you graduate. All the money you're not putting towards paying off student loans can be used for things you enjoy.

Sorry for the lengthy post but it's my hope that a few people will see this and put this info to good use.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM

547 posts, read 939,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I just don't understand people in my generation [I'm 22] who are going into debt for generic degrees. Do you really expect to be in demand when you're majoring in English or Anthropology?
Society as a whole (politicians, teachers, parents) tell kids to go to college and get a degree so they can get a better paying job. So yea, those people who pick those degrees and went to a regular state university think they're going to do better than other people with just a high school diploma.

If you're pointing fingers at college graduates who leave college with a lot of debt, then you can point fingers at the parents. An 18/20 year old isn't going to know much about finances, loans, and debt compared to their parents.....at least one would hope.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,470 times
At what point will a BA not be enough and we'll all need master's degrees to put a piece of paper in the appropriate folder and place it in alphabetical order for minimum wage? What a racket by the college industry!!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
That article is actually pretty interesting. While I don't agree with the hiring practices of the law firm highlighted in this article, the redeeming factor is that they are willing to promote from within.

I think it would be wise to admit that a college degree makes you competitive in today's workforce -- which has a glut of workers in it (not across all industries; but in general). The bigger travesty is that college now cost an arm and a leg. So essentially, you have to have (or borrow) the cash to get the degree. Or you are disadvantaged.

What a world we live in!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Better to get a college degree to be employed even if it pays little,rather than unemployed with no job.
I guess the woman featured in the article was able to move up faster to paralegal because she had a dgree vs someone who didn't have one.

You can't call yourself a professional without a Bachelor degree.
At least that's the way it is in Nursing.

I would just tell any nurse today to get a Bsn.
The employment numbers say it all.
We could kick and scream its unfair,but its going to happen regardless.
What are you going to do,get mad at the employer's?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Better to get a college degree to be employed even if it pays little,rather than unemployed with no job.
I guess the woman featured in the article was able to move up faster to paralegal because she had a dgree vs someone who didn't have one.

You can't call yourself a professional without a Bachelor degree
At least that's the way it is in Nursing.

I would just tell any nurse today to get a Bsn.
The employment numbers say it all.
We could kick and scream its unfair,but its going to happen regardless.
What are you going to do,get mad at the employer's?
Tell that to a good plumber... He will laugh in your face.

And you should see their rates!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
If current trends continue, eventually a Masters degree will become the new high school diploma. So, basically, it now takes 17 years (K-Bachelors degree) to educate people to be qualified to obtain entry level jobs today when in the past it used to take just 13 years (K-12). It's a sign of our society becoming increasingly wasteful and inefficient.

The day may come when you need a Masters in Janitorial Science to work as a janitor.

What's really driving this is that businesses are, understandably, using possession of a college education as a "signaling factor". It signals that someone is a hard worker and has at least an average IQ and some minimum amount of ambition. Businesses can get away with it because they do not have to pay for the costs of the higher education. Instead the general populace is subsidizing it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Tell that to a good plumber... He will laugh in your face.

And you should see their rates!
I know,but nursing used to be that you get your 2 year Adn,,and your good.

Not anymore.

A plumber still isn't a professional,unless he gets a 4 yr degree.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Why would anyone spend $100,000 on a fashion degree or any undergraduate degree? She probably would have gotten the same results spending $40,000. Did the school really cost $100k or is that how much she borrowed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities