Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How long would a person be unemployed for that 6.8% is going to have a life-long impact? 6 months to a year is not going to make a difference in the long run.
In this economy who knows. Whats there degree in, do they have prior experience, a criminal record, what job do they want, where do they live? Some people are unemployed a lot longer then a year, just because you have a degree doesn't mean you will get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
In this economy who knows. Whats there degree in, do they have prior experience, a criminal record, what job do they want, where do they live? Some people are unemployed a lot longer then a year, just because you have a degree doesn't mean you will get a job.
Unemployment over 25 with a degree is around 3-4%.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
And $0... don't forget the $0.

You also missed the part about the news media by the way!
You are just like them from your statements. The avg is in the low 20's an we have you throwing out examples of 0 and 200k. Very reasonable examples there......

Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are just like them from your statements. The avg is in the low 20's an we have you throwing out examples of 0 and 200k. Very reasonable examples there......
Ever hear of 'range'
Mean, Median, Mode, and Range

Someone obviously didn't get their $ worth!!!! N

Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Ever hear of 'range'
Mean, Median, Mode, and Range

Someone obviously didn't get their $ worth!!!! N
Someone like you usually has a ton in loans from a crappy school and is upset about the system while it was really your fault. Someone like myself can comprehend real data and not focus on extremes to prove a point.

A top 20 public cost me 10k in loans. Today the average student graduates with 14k. This is typical for top schools.

If you'd like to talk about your extreme 200k you'd be smart to preface it while talking about poor schools and poor students. Even then it is not very useful but maybe someone would at least take it as a reasonable opinion. Maybe.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Someone like you usually has a ton in loans from a crappy school and is upset about the system while it was really your fault. Someone like myself can comprehend real data and not focus on extremes to prove a point.

A top 20 public cost me 10k in loans. Today the average student graduates with 14k. This is typical for top schools.

If you'd like to talk about your extreme 200k you'd be smart to preface it while talking about poor schools and poor students. Even then it is not very useful but maybe someone would at least take it as a reasonable opinion. Maybe.
You might not want to brag until you brush up on your reading comprehension.
I Used my GI bill and took out $0 in student loans at a State school which was consistently rated #1 or 2 in my degree field.

Care to try again?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You might not want to brag until you brush up on your reading comprehension.
I Used my GI bill and took out $0 in student loans at a State school which was consistently rated #1 or 2 in my degree field.

Care to try again?
That is good for you. Surely you noticed i used the word usually. It's a shame you have to sensationalize student loan debt and don't have a grasp on the actual facts. You keep using that 200k in your debates and see if anyone actually takes you seriously.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:

So why are the students responsible for there debts but almost all other debts get protections, statue of limitations, etc?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
So why are the students responsible for there debts but almost all other debts get protections, statue of limitations, etc?
Easy. They are loaned money when they have no income or way to pay it back at the time it is lended.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
It's really just a matter of the circumstances of the loan.

Credit card lender: I'll lend you money if you have good credit and I'll assume the risk if you become a deadbeat.

Student loan lender: I'll overlook your credit history if you assume all the risk of the loan.

Here's the kicker. You don't have to take a student loan to attend school. You can take private loans or use credit cards to pay for school. If you chose student loans over other forms of borrowing, you get the benefit of not being required to be credit worthy at the price of having to pay it back without bankruptcy options.

If you didn't like the stipulations of student loans, why didn't you just put tuition on credit cards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities