Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 AM

338 posts, read 741,136 times

Advertisements

How much do potential employers look at the name of the college you graduated from, and how prestigious it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It depends on the industry.

In those that rely heavily on networking and contacts, like financial services and law, they will say it matters.

IMHO, "fit" is more important than prestige. A college should be a good match for you in terms of quality of degree program, lifestyle, employment rate of grads, etc.

Also, I have found that college prestige matters MUCH more to recent high school grads and their families than in the actual work world. They want to be able to reel off the name of a prestigious university when backslappers ask, "So, where are you going to college?"

Most people I know don't know where their colleagues went to college unless those people are big sports fans, etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 AM

I mean, UT at Arlington makes a C+ in quality of education on studentsreview. Then again, I should probably take it with a grain of salt.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
More important than the prestige is the quality of the program. When choosing a school, you might want to start with the top 10 schools for the field that you want study. Often, it will not include prestigious schools like Harvard.

Employers will likely recruit more students from schools that rank higher in particular fields. There will also be a large network from that school in that specific field.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,397,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I mean, UT at Arlington makes a C+ in quality of education on studentsreview. Then again, I should probably take it with a grain of salt.
I take it your from Texas. Are you diehard about going to a UT school? There are other schools in Texas I would pick over UT at Arlington. And I think prestige matters some but its not everything. Remember prestige comes from somewhere. Some schools are known as sports schools some are known for academics. What is UTA known for? I generally say a school only matters if I can watch their FB game on ESPN...LOL. I'm a football fan but what Texan isn't :P

Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It depends on the industry.

In those that rely heavily on networking and contacts, like financial services and law, they will say it matters.

IMHO, "fit" is more important than prestige. A college should be a good match for you in terms of quality of degree program, lifestyle, employment rate of grads, etc.

Also, I have found that college prestige matters MUCH more to recent high school grads and their families than in the actual work world. They want to be able to reel off the name of a prestigious university when backslappers ask, "So, where are you going to college?"

Most people I know don't know where their colleagues went to college unless those people are big sports fans, etc.
I completely agree. One thing I would like to add is a persons geographic location. Of course going to a Ivy is awesome no matter where you live in the states. But I think people on the East Coast care WAY more about a schools prestige then a Texan would. I'm sure it's because more schools are on the East Coast and some are older then the US. So it's ingrained in East Coasters mind how important it is to go to a top school in such and such area. I'm not saying going to a top school is bad in fact it's great and if you can go to Harvard then do it. But it's not everything.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
I take it your from Texas. Are you diehard about going to a UT school? There are other schools in Texas I would pick over UT at Arlington. And I think prestige matters some but its not everything. Remember prestige comes from somewhere. Some schools are known as sports schools some are known for academics. What is UTA known for? I generally say a school only matters if I can watch their FB game on ESPN...LOL. I'm a football fan but what Texan isn't :P
I don't have very many other options besides UTA since I can't drive because I have a brain injury.

Baylor's good, though, right?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I don't have very many other options besides UTA since I can't drive because I have a brain injury.

Baylor's good, though, right?
Out of the two I would pick Baylor hands down. Waco aka Wacko sucks but I hear its getting better.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Out of the two I would pick Baylor hands down. Waco aka Wacko sucks but I hear its getting better.
The ONLY problem my mom has with Baylor is that it's expensive.

I don't have many options because of my brain injury.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
But you say in another post you are going to learn to drive...

Anyways, living on/near campus is a non-driving option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities