U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM

673 posts, read 2,285,242 times

Advertisements

I am currently going to school for Information Systems. My major is in Database Development. I currently was going to also have my minor in Database Management. The main reason is because some of the classes in my major can be used for my minor. Also, I felt that the database management classes would be very useful since I am going for Database Development and hope to become a Database Administrator.

However, when talking to others, they always say that I should have my minor in Business, Accounting, Finance, or some other field rather than IT. I dont disagree, however, I want to finish my degree and feel the computer classes would be more useful. I have 3-1/2 years experience working at a credit union and am currently working full time and going to school part time, so I have real life work experience but in a design field (Autocad, Catia).

What are your thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 AM

605 posts, read 3,216,354 times
Have you thought about a minor in education? This would allow you in the future to get your teaching creditials and teach technology at many levels (i.e. elem, secondary or even college)

Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM

2,919 posts, read 7,316,145 times
A minor is very definately good for something. It further broadens your skill set. Only you can decide which one is best for your goals. There are plusses to all the options mentioned. Consider each one seperately and where they would take you in the future.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 53,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I am currently going to school for Information Systems. My major is in Database Development. I currently was going to also have my minor in Database Management. The main reason is because some of the classes in my major can be used for my minor. Also, I felt that the database management classes would be very useful since I am going for Database Development and hope to become a Database Administrator.

However, when talking to others, they always say that I should have my minor in Business, Accounting, Finance, or some other field rather than IT. I dont disagree, however, I want to finish my degree and feel the computer classes would be more useful. I have 3-1/2 years experience working at a credit union and am currently working full time and going to school part time, so I have real life work experience but in a design field (Autocad, Catia).

I would go with business or finance. This gives you a greater breadth of knowledge. You would bring to the table something other candidates cannot. After a couple of years in business I would add on some of the database administrator classes. This changes so fast that a minor in database administration would probably be outdated within a couple of years.

VA

Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,707,674 times
A minor looks good on your resume, and like somebody else said, it broadens your skill set & knowledge. I didn't technically finish any minor, but completed most of the requirements for Ethnic Studies and Music Performance... when I say "I minored" in these at an interview, it typically gets a nod & "ooh" type of reaction. In other words, you can impress them with your variety of skills & studies, without having to BS too much.

One piece of advice, though... don't bother with a minor if it'll slow you down, or compromise your overall GPA. My friend over-extended herself with a double-major and TWO minors, which caused her to take extra years in college. Not worth it, IMO!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
dgz

798 posts, read 1,848,358 times
A minor can help you create more of a niche. Lots of people may be coming out of school with degrees in Information Systems. If you find yourself applying for a job with a finance company, having the minor in business or finance could help you stand out. If your major is in Database Development, will an entire minor in Database Management really give you that much of an edge? (Why not just take a class or two in it? Or let the company you start with, send you through some Oracle DBA progam.) It seems like survival in today's job market depends on being able to fit into a wider variety of jobs, and that requires getting a broader background. Just my two cents.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 AM

30 posts, read 118,019 times
I will tell you what I did when a computer science degree was actually given by the math dept because computer science was not considered a legimate field of study. I took the prerequisite classes for an MBA while I got by BS in comp sci. Then I got my MBA at night while working full time.
Most people fail to get their MBA because they can not do the math. If you can understand comp sci math, MBA math will be a walk in the park.
If you have a comp sci degree and an MBA, employers will fight each other to hire you.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 AM

25,085 posts, read 8,844,866 times
U can really dress it up on your resume. Especailly if u r applying for a position that is not exactly within the area of your major.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 AM

2,357 posts, read 374,102 times
I know for me, my minor allowed me to take certain classes. Those classes taught me skills that became very important on my resume, and helped me get a job.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 PM

2,120 posts, read 5,446,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post

I'd say minors for the most part are a complete waste of time. It seems that they come up in corporate conversation only when someone is trying to justify working on something or to prove additional value. In every case it has been in an informal setting where no one ever checks (or will check) the school transcript/record. A minor in Business is not equivalent to saying you have an MBA, so don't fool yourself there. Just like a minor in Education is not equivalent to a Bachelor Ed or M.Ed or teaching certification, so if you want to teach in a place like NY that would be entirely useless there. Seriously, the only way in which a minor is useful is for personal growth - let's say you genuinely have interest in learning about a topic but don't have time to get a major in it.. then it is useful for yourself and may be worth the time and effort.

After reading your post I feel like you ought to skip the whole minor idea... it probably won't do you much good, it'll take up valuable time, and if you want to tell people down the road that you minored in something, no one will check up on it so you still will be able to. I'm just being a realist.

Ok all that said - I do have some words of wisdom for you. The IT industry is in a state of change right now with Outsourcing of most job functions to low-cost countries like India and China. You probably already know that so I won't hammer the point in (I've posted the details elsewhere - and I'd encourage you to look the post up). What I will say is that you might want to look into what supplemental education might differentiate you from others doing Database Development. A Business minor won't be it... everyone in India is graduating these days with an Engineering degree and/or an MBA... but perhaps you can find something else. How about learning to read and write a Chinese or Indian dialect/language?... or how about Asian Cultural Studies? I'm not being sarcastic... those things might be good for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities