Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
This is pretty common actually. Nothing says the student has to lobby effectively. But if you are going to be a political lawyer or a lobbyist you better learn real fast how to represent political stances that you do not agree with, or your career is going to be pretty limited. He is taking it slightly, and only slightly, more extreme than other classes by requiring actual lobbying, but pretty much every political law class is going to require you to represent a specific set of viewpoints that you may disagree with.

Other than lawyers who are sole practitioners I have never encountered a single attorney who has not at least once been assigned to defend or work for a client they either politically disagreed with or personally detested -- or both. It comes with the territory. These young lawyers should know that now, suck it up and do the assignment (it's good practice no matter where they stand on the issues of sugar and sodas), or rethink their committment to practicing law in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
What if it is a graduation requirement and he is the only person that teaches it?
Then you should have gone to a law school with more than 10 professors

Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Report them.

They are not allowed to, and College Proofs get away with WAYYYY too much.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
I would drop out of the class. Then I would write letters to the dean and the alumni (the "bucks" supporting the college).This is but one example of what I mean by colleges getting involved in activism too much. This isn't an isolated case.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Then you should have gone to a law school with more than 10 professors

When you get into your major, often there are professors that have a specialty area and will teach as one of their assigned classes, a class that they specifically are experts in. It may or may not be a graduation requirement. It is not uncommon to find a level 400 class that is only available one semester a year and is a requirement for graduation.

C'mon, now. You should know this. The university I went to had and enrollment of over 20,000 and I ran into this.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
When you get into your major, often there are professors that have a specialty area and will teach as one of their assigned classes, a class that they specifically are experts in. It may or may not be a graduation requirement. It is not uncommon to find a level 400 class that is only available one semester a year and is a requirement for graduation.

C'mon, now. You should know this. The university I went to had and enrollment of over 20,000 and I ran into this.
I think you are talking about an undergrad major? In which case you were running into the "10 professor" problem likely, as the major itself has relatively few professors even if the school is larger.
A law school is not an undergrad major. The few required courses are going to have multiple professors offering them. On top of that, even specialties will often have the option to take the specialty course with a different professor at a different school.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Other than lawyers who are sole practitioners I have never encountered a single attorney who has not at least once been assigned to defend or work for a client they either politically disagreed with or personally detested -- or both. It comes with the territory. These young lawyers should know that now, suck it up and do the assignment (it's good practice no matter where they stand on the issues of sugar and sodas), or rethink their committment to practicing law in the real world.
I took a lobbying class in college. I got to choose my issue and the group that I would lobby our local state government for. To make things clear, I was a lobbyist on behalf of the group and all of my communications made sure that committee staffers and legislators knew I was representing the interests of the non profit group. I sent materials over (i.e. reports, proposed legislation, etc.) and made appointments to make a presentation. Surprisingly, only 1 out of 12 legislators blew me off.

I have an issue where the students can't pick their issue or group they are lobbying for and it is unclear whether they are suppose to lobby on their own behalf. If that's true, it is deceptive if they don't mention they are writing letters or preparing reports as part of a class assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities