Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of Howard CC and not sure how good it is...

But here are a few google results
Top 120 Community Colleges in 2013 according to the Aspen Institute

How does your community college stack up? - CNNMoney.com

Its best to figure out where you want to go and reach out to the Admissions office directly rather than rely on a forum.

I looked at a couple cc in California and they all require HS Diploma or GED.

I found this place that does GED (online?)
https://www.prometric.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I've never heard of Howard CC and not sure how good it is...

But here are a few google results
Top 120 Community Colleges in 2013 according to the Aspen Institute

How does your community college stack up? - CNNMoney.com

Its best to figure out where you want to go and reach out to the Admissions office directly rather than rely on a forum.

I looked at a couple cc in California and they all require HS Diploma or GED.

I found this place that does GED (online?)
https://www.prometric.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspx
According to CNN, Colorado Mountain College is highly rated. (69%) There is something wrong with the methodology. It's considered a joke, a place to go to be a ski bum.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
My wife graduated high school in a foreign country and went on to attend & graduate a local (accredited) CC in Ohio, now attending University for her Bachelor's. I would be shocked if either school actually investigated and contacted her high school to verify the diploma; of course this probably varies between colleges and states, but I don't see the someone having an issue as long as he/she is currently a resident of the state in which they'll be attending school. This is probably different for someone who is applying from another country (like the OP), however.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to CNN, Colorado Mountain College is highly rated. (69%) There is something wrong with the methodology. It's considered a joke, a place to go to be a ski bum.
I agree, it's flawed. I attend the supposed fifth-worst CC on that list, but both their registered nursing and criminal justice programs (two with which I'm familiar) are well-regarded within the state, and easily transferable to most universities. What they are doing is compiling graduation & transfer rates from the entire student body, which includes those who may be taking a class or two for enjoyment, or using a class offered as a cheaper option than what is offered to the university they currently attend. Basically, if you've ever registered and taken a class with the college and not graduated with a degree from there, you're considered a "drop out".
Plus I think we can all agree certain geographical areas are more prone to pursue education than others, which shouldn't be a reflection on the quality of higher-ed schools in the area.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
CNN did not come up with list. And its only looking at one factor, graduation within 3 years or transfer success rate.

I don't know of any reputable rankings of cc's..

Last edited by minibrings; 03-15-2013 at 12:42 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,419 times
For what it's worth, I did not graduate high school nor obtain a GED, but I do have an AS and a BS. From my experience, ANYONE can attend a JC(in CA at least) without a Diploma or GED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities