Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM

16 posts, read 55,589 times

Advertisements

I would like to complete my major in Foreign languages. Currently, i have a proficient grasp of English, Spanish and French, and am working hard to become proficient in Arabic. I have an Associate's Degree in Arts so all i need for now is to complete my Bachelor's. I am currently 20 years old with a 3.3 GPA and live in Illinois( So i get in-state tuition) however Chicago is looking like an increasingly difficult place to live with the bad economy and crime, plus I hate the weather and the cold reserved Midwestern culture. My parents are moving to Orange, California next summer and while i would love to live there, the out of state tuition rates scare me as well as the overall cost of living. Should i suck it up and finish my bachelor's in IL, should i move with my parents to California and wait til I become a state resident, or should i try my luck in a completely different state altogether? If so what university would best suit me? All responses are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
That is your personal decision. I say do whatever it takes to complete your degree as fast as you can. Does it sound better to say I have a Bachelors and Associates from X university? Or does it sound better to say "I have an Associates and I only need a few more classes to get my Bachelors?" That to me reads "I'll start something but I may not finish it." Just saying. Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 PM

142 posts, read 677,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almirante De Leon View Post
I would like to complete my major in Foreign languages. Currently, i have a proficient grasp of English, Spanish and French, and am working hard to become proficient in Arabic. I have an Associate's Degree in Arts so all i need for now is to complete my Bachelor's... with a 3.3 GPA... and wait til I become a state resident, or should i try my luck in a completely different state altogether? If so what university would best suit me? All responses are appreciated
I wouldn't discount California just yet; CA has a lot of great universities. Within a 90 minute drive from Orange, you have UCLA, UC-Irvine, UC-San Diego, USC, Cal-tech, Pomona College, Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, San Diego State, Scripps College, and CSU-Long Beach just to name a few. All great schools and you should be able to get into one of them.

If residency is a BIG issue for CA, take a few classes at CC to boost your GPA while waiting to gain residency. There are Transfer Agreement Guarantees (known as TAG) from CC to some of the UCs - which is what I'd recommend.

If you're going out of state (not to CA), you're going to be pay out-of-state tuition, so why not CA?

Regardless of where you transfer to, expect to lose a few of your credits.

Last edited by tmoua1; 03-15-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
I wouldn't discount California just yet; CA has a lot of great universities. Within a 90 minute drive from Orange, you have UCLA, UC-Irvine, UC-San Diego, USC, Cal-tech, Pomona College, Claremont McKenna, Cooper Union, San Diego State, Scripps College, and CSU-Long Beach just to name a few. All great schools and you should be able to get into one of them.

If residency is a BIG issue for CA, take a few classes at CC to boost your GPA while waiting to gain residency. There are Transfer Agreement Guarantees (known as TAG) from CC to some of the UCs - which is what I'd recommend.

If you're going out of state (not to CA), you're going to be pay out-of-state tuition, so why not CA?

Regardless of where you transfer to, expect to lose a few of your credits.
Cooper Union is NOT in Cali. Its in the East Village of New York.
Pomona-Claremont-SCripps are big bucks.

My take.. move to Cali. Take a year working or going to cc to become a resident. Then apply to a CSU campus, in-state is not horribly expensive. UCs will cost you more. However, thats a year wasted that you could have spent at UI-Champaign or SIU, etc.. and only 1 more to finish the degree.

If you want to leave IL but not move to CA, figure out what states you want to live in and do research on in-state and out of state tuition. TX has fairly well priced state schools (for residents).

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 PM

142 posts, read 677,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Cooper Union is NOT in Cali. Its in the East Village of New York.
You're right about Cooper Union; I changed it above. I was reading about it the other day and it stuck in my mind. I meant to say Harvey Mudd, which is part of the Claremont Colleges.

The UC's in-state-tuition isn't that bad, but CSU's are a the way to go if cost is an issue.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
I agree with minibring's suggestion. Also while you're working you can self-study and take some CLEP exams to get you some credits in classes that are not part of your major so you can finish more quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities