Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 36,033 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm a freshmen undergraduate (technically, as I would actually be a sophomore if my community college credits fully transferred) at the University of Idaho currently enrolled in the Business Information Systems program here. I'm currently taking the introduction accounting class (I had taken a different intro class in community college which didn't transfer) and I'm glad to say I don't hate it and actually enjoy a lot of it.

To make a long story short, I'm seriously considering majoring in accounting. I am very attracted to the job security and wages, and I enjoy working with budgets and the like. In addition, I am quite good with computers and love technology. I'm not skilled or in any real way proficient at programming, nor am I particularly interested in programming. I just have a "knack" for computers I suppose (I'd say at this point I could easily just go and get the A+ without study if that demonstrates what I mean).

I'd like to get all my 150 hours needed to obtain the CPA out of the way while I'm in the swing of school instead of later.

Fortunately, the business program here is very integrated and a double major in IS and Accounting would require only one extra year.

Similarly, however, the Master's in Accountancy should also only take an extra year after undergraduate study. This program does not require a Bachelor's in accounting.

My question is, which would be more beneficial to me? Given my inclination towards a career working with computers, would it be worth it to double major in IS and accounting, or would a simple major in accounting OR information systems mixed with a Master's in Accountancy be better?

If it helps here are links to the curriculum planning worksheets for IS and Accounting:

IS:
http://www.uidaho.edu/~/media/Files/...ts/2012IS.ashx

Accounting:
http://www.uidaho.edu/~/media/Files/.../2012ACCT.ashx

Just thought I'd get some other opinions as I plan out my future academic career. Thanks in advance! Let me know what extra info you need, if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 36,033 times
Alternatively, should I just skip the CPA thing for now, get my accounting undergrad degree and go from there in the job world?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,587 times
This is a really personal decision. If you want to double major, go for it. I don't know how much time/money you have at your leisure to draw out a double major which would probably take you at least 5 years.

PERSONALLY (and this is just me), I'd go for the accounting major (if your program is solid, this is challenging enough) and take IS classes on the side to keep yourself fresh. You'll probably have room for that at least?

The masters in accounting will be a very good credential to have. The fact that you are good with computers will only do well for you. Is there not an IS minor?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrobento View Post
Alternatively, should I just skip the CPA thing for now, get my accounting undergrad degree and go from there in the job world?
Get your undergrad degree and take it one step at a time. Life doesn't really work that way.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
PERSONALLY (and this is just me), I'd go for the accounting major (if your program is solid, this is challenging enough) and take IS classes on the side to keep yourself fresh. You'll probably have room for that at least?
This is solid advice. I have a BS Accounting/Economics and an MA Taxation. The combination worked out well for me. In fact, I probably wasted my time studying economics, but I really enjoyed the field, and tuition was inexpensive back in the early to mid 1980s. Also, interning is integral to networking and success.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
I'm in a similar situation as OP. I'm majoring in Accounting and will graduate with 120 credits this December, however I will need 150 credits to become CPA certified.

I currently interning at a small firm and enjoying it. Most larger firms that recruit at my university (Big 4 and large regionals like BDO) won't even let me be an intern until I'm a year a way from having 150 credits.

So, I actually have to wait until I graduate to be a big 4 intern.

I can't double major in the evening college I am in, my only choice would be to stick around here longer w/o working full-time, but I can't afford to.

I can't decide if I should go find an "Associate" position at a public accounting firm that isn't strict about 150 credit requirment when I graduate or take classes in something I'm interested in/good at while doing more internships until I have 150 credits.

I can't decide if I should get a masters or just 150 undergrad credits.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
If you don't need the accounting major to go on to the Masters, I would go with the IS major and then go on to the Accounting Masters. It would be a desirable degree, and you would be very employable.

A double major is not going to make much difference as far as employment is concerned, but a Master's degree will.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm in a similar situation as OP. I'm majoring in Accounting and will graduate with 120 credits this December, however I will need 150 credits to become CPA certified.

I currently interning at a small firm and enjoying it. Most larger firms that recruit at my university (Big 4 and large regionals like BDO) won't even let me be an intern until I'm a year a way from having 150 credits.

I can't double major in the evening college I am in, my only choice would be to stick around here longer w/o working full-time, but I can't afford to.

I can't decide if I should go find an "Associate" position at a public accounting firm that isn't strict about 150 credit requirment when I graduate or take classes in something I'm interested in/good at while doing more internships until I have 150 credits.

I would discuss this with the recently-hired accountants and your boss at work. They have a better vibe as to what to expect in the job market in your area.

As for the 150 credits, I think it would look better on your resume if it showed some forward progression, i.e., going for a masters as opposed to just taking an additional 30 credits of undergraduate study. To me, it shows you have ambition, seek improvement and except challenges. that's my take, Talk to your counselor. Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Accounting is a great major, that said if you have an interest in computers as well, it can only help you to double up in MIS/Accounting. You could become an expert in SAP or a similar large scale accounting system and do very well.

I didn't need a masters to move up to a high level accounting position, but times have changed since I have been out of school (11 years) and it may be helpful to get your foot in the door to have a masters. Accumulate any and all work experience that you can while still in college!!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

That doesn't sound right to me. It looks like your school isn't considered a feeder school, so they don't send a separate spring season interview team down there. You should still apply through them directly and try to work up your network to snag an interview. Getting a professor that is connected to a firm to call a recruiter or former student that is a partner virtually guarantees getting an interview. Getting a professor to vouch for you is another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities