Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 AM

219 posts, read 430,946 times

Advertisements

If I had tens of thousands of dollars to spend on "what makes me happy", it wouldn't be spent on college......but that's just me. IMO, college should be an investment that is more likely than not to provide a return. When those school loans need to be paid, and your degree won't get you the salary to pay them back, just how happy will you be then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
At the end of the day it really comes down to doing what makes you happy. Who cares if its worthless or not, if you want to do it then do it. I know people who have CJ degress who didn't go anywhere, but then again then didn't apply themselves. If you network, find internships, etc then who knows. Some PD require BA in CJ but most don't. If you do have a BA in CJ it will put you ahead of someone who doesn't.

Name one police dept that specifically requires a BA in CJ.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM

I don't know how things work in the UK but in the US a CJ degree will not be any more helpful in getting you a job than a degree in Medieval Poetry or anything else. In terms of hiring, a degree is a degree. If you like CJ and you want to study it, go ahead and do so, just don't think that it is going to be a ticket to employment in law enforcement.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Name one police dept that specifically requires a BA in CJ.
Bensenville Police Department

Wilmette Police Department
(General Bachelors)

Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
If I had tens of thousands of dollars to spend on "what makes me happy", it wouldn't be spent on college......but that's just me. IMO, college should be an investment that is more likely than not to provide a return. When those school loans need to be paid, and your degree won't get you the salary to pay them back, just how happy will you be then?
Lol ok, sounds like you already know the answer...why are you asking then?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM

219 posts, read 430,946 times
Quote:
The request was to name a department that specifically requires a BA in CJ. Neither of these do. So exactly what point were you making?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
i really would not pursue a CJ degree unless you plan on doing police work and I know most depatments you can apply regardless of degree! It can be argued that if you are able to land good internships, part time work etc... then the degree you puruse wont matter as much for it is the exp. that will get you the job.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:01 PM

OP, if you feel geared towards CJ then the best advice is to take a few classes and see how you like it yourself, that's the only true way to know.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

FAIL. I am well aware that some police depts require varying amounts of college (and some don't require any). You were asked to back up your incorrect claim that there are multiple PDs that REQUIRE a CJ degree.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't know how things work in the UK but in the US a CJ degree will not be any more helpful in getting you a job than a degree in Medieval Poetry or anything else. In terms of hiring, a degree is a degree. If you like CJ and you want to study it, go ahead and do so, just don't think that it is going to be a ticket to employment in law enforcement.
Law enforcement doesn't have much respect for it, but to be quite honest law enforcement has a lot more respect for military service than any degree. Especially in this downturn, most agencies have focused recruitment on veterans.

As for the CJ degree, it is useful in the private security field and may be useful for other aspects of the CJ system other than sworn law enforcement. That's better than most liberal arts degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities