Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Better reread that chart.

Look at the number of people vs the percentage. The biology is ridiculously low and I'd bet those "biology majors" went on to become doctors.

For example: Psychology at ~61000 and ~4% making it to 1%er is much better than biology's ~1.8 million and only ~ 6% making it.

They are only comparing the %. While more biology is making it, the competition is crazy stiff. And once again, those biology 1% are probably doctors. Just like the patch 1%ers are probably either in something else or have highly successful practices.

While the doctor claim is unsupported, then fact the the health/med prep is at 11% with a lower over number lends it credence.

Aside from premed, biology, microbio, chem and biochem are the most popular "present med" alternatives and med schools PREFER those to actual premed.

That's why journalism/English is below STEM.
Hmmm, 6.7% of 1.86M is a larger number than 4% of 61K.

Here is the main point of the article: "Of course, choice of major is not the only way to increase your chances of reaching the 1 percent, if that is your goal. There is also the sector you choose"

While this could mean medical, it could also mean Government or professor at a top university. A biologist working for FEMA, the CDC, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc. can very easily move into the 1%. But it is not that these positions are easily obtainable.

This has been argued to death in this sub-forum: it is not what you major in, it is what you do with your major. A slacker with a degree from the best university is not going to go very far in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The engineers I know certainly didn't max out at $100K. Some are at that within a few years of graduating. I have friends/family who are engineers making 2 to 3 times that.
I only know of a few engineers, and let me tell you, they are very eccentric and like to "party" as much as biologists.

Quote:
Interesting....I specifically pointed my children AWAY from medical school.
Talk about competition!

Quote:
I'm having a really hard time believing that chart is accurate. I've known a lot of biology majors making $12-14/hour (I've personally hired many of them). I have a son who majored in biology, but only as an undergrad major before dental school. He (and I) worried what in the world he'd do for a living if he didn't get into dental school, but the biology major at his school gave him the best selection of courses to prepare for dental school.
It depends on location, but yes, most bio majors with only a BS will start at at-least $12 in a good market. It is possible to earn near $65K with only a BS in bio, but that is after a few decades. A better route would be to go for an MSc, MIM, MSM (essentially, a Masters in Science Management) after a decade or so. It really depends on what you want, though. A friend of mine works for a research team at-sea. He only earns roughly $24K a year, but they pay for his airfare to/from where he needs to meet the research vessel, is fed while aboard, and gets to be one of the few people on this planet who has the distinction of stepping foot onto Antarctica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM

219 posts, read 430,946 times
To the OP, I think you will find psychology is extremely interesting, and you will probably love it. That said, unless you plan to go on to graduate school, it is not a very good investment. I can understand not wanting to go to college for something you are not passionate about, and although it is difficult to do at this time in your life, you need to try to look at the big picture. An undergraduate psych degree will open yourself up to numerous career paths.....but not good paying ones. You may still be a bit too idealistic to realize this right now, but salary is important.

My advice to you, and to all those who are not quite sure what they want to major in, is to put college on hold until you are sure. Too many people regret what they majored in because they rushed into it too quickly. Stop following the rest of the sheep who feel you must go to college right after high school because it is what people your age are "supposed to do".

Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
If you like computers, why not minor in Comp Science or IT or similar program. Better yet, major in this. You can be an office worker and become a business analyst. It's quite fun and you work with people often and there are many job opportunities. You can work in any industry (back office of any company..insurance, retail, high tech, banking, automobile, hospital, travel, etc). You don't have to do computer programming when you are an analyst. It's the office job that you mentioned. It pays well and there are many jobs and you typically work 40 hrs/week and you're not married to your job.

As far as math major, you should consider Statistics or Actuary as an alternative to math. These will get you into the insurance industry for a nice career.

You keep saying you don't need much money. But there is another aspect you are not thinking about...the availability of any job in your chosen profession. You don't want to pick a career that you think you will love...but then find out you cannot find ANY job in that career. Oh, you are willing to settle for low pay, but there are NO JOBS in your field. then you are stuck trying to find any entry level job in any field so you can buy a car and get an apartment.

You want to pick a major/minor that has a large volume of potential jobs...so you can find a job in your field when you graduate.

Psycology majors, IMO, is not a good choice if you want to find a job in your major. If you love it that much, minor in Psycology but pick a major that will get you a job/career once you graduate.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelnp View Post
...I want to be sure my degree is for nothing.
I like psych/office work, computers, and math.
USF offers an MIS degree. You can get a job that you love right out of school. You can do office work/computers and you would be dealing with people often(psych skills and people skills are used daily). You can become a Business Analyst or work in any office setting at any company or government agency. You can live anywhere in the USA or anywhere in the world. You can work in any industry. You will have an easy time finding a job as soon as you gradudate.

Here is a paste from USF's site: - Undergraduate Admissions at the University of South Florida Information Systems

The Management Information Systems major prepares students to enter the rapidly changing world of technology as it relates to business. The curriculum provides the skills and knowledge necessary for information systems development and support positions in both business and non-business organizations.
The undergraduate curriculum that leads to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree is composed of several segments: (1) broad general education in the arts, humanities and sciences; (2) the common body of knowledge for management responsibilities; and (3) specialized areas of concentration in Accounting, Economics, Finance, General Business, International Business, Management, Marketing, and Management Information Systems. Through flexibility in its requirements, the College of Business Administration is able to satisfy the different interests and career objectives of students with diverse backgrounds

Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 638 times
OP, I would major in math and minor in something like psych, sociology or anthropology. My mother is an MSW (she works with MSW student) and I have a college degree in a field I've never worked in but have obtained employment and interviews for jobs in many fields. You can major in just about anything and get accepted in an MSW program as long as you have some related experience or a few core classes. Same goes for a Masters in Education and counseling. You can also teach math (after certification) be an addmission counselor and work in the office with ANY Degree. I am suggesting a degree in math over a specific technical degree because it appears you are still trying to figure out exactly what you want to do. Getting a degree in math will make the road more straight, but less narrow. Instead of being stuck as a secretary in the office you are more likely to be considered for analyst and statician positions. I have even seen comp sci and finance professionals with bachelors in math as well. You will also be considered quicker for teaching programs that are looking specifically to hire people with a math background. Most of them will pay for a masters degree.
If you must be a psych major get a bachelor of science. That way if you find yourself needing more education to advance in your field you will have enough sci credits to go back for a clinical/medical degree without as many issues.

Last edited by Vron1183; 04-09-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelnp View Post
So I am a junior (19) that just transferred over to the University of South Florida with my AA from a community college (3.95 GPA). Now I am stuck about my major/minor. The only thing I'm really interested in is Psychology (I would like to do social work, admissions, counseling, etc, but I'm not sure I can ever get my MA). I was wondering who has a BA in psych? What kind of job opportunities?

I am also going to pursue a MINOR in mathematics. This is so if I chose to, I could teach math in high school level. In Florida you don't HAVE to major in your subject, just have a particular amount of credit hours in that subject area and pass a placement test.

SO, I need advice.
Is majoring in psych and minoring in math a good decision? (For someone who doesn't know specifically what they want to do with their life).

I could do the opposite, and major in math, but I really don't know if I can do it. I'm good at math but the thought of so many math classes sounds awful to me. I am not completely confident.
I made A's in every math class I have taken so far, but I would prefer to major in psych.

Any help is much appreciated!
BA in psych and a minor in math would be a good option. If you want to go that route I would consider a masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. That minor in math would be awesome if you wanted to go that route and USF has one of the top I/O programs in the nation.

Good field to get into, very good pay, especially for psychology. Avg. starting salary for an MS is 55-60k, with many making double figures after 5-10 years.

Here you go: USF was ranked #4 in the most recent rankings.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ology-rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities