Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,020 times

Advertisements

I've received a few credits from Normandale Comm College, but I want to change the career path I was on.
I really want to go to film school, but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've found a few comm colleges that have film programs and they transfer, but I can't figure out which schools they transfer to. I was thinking that I should get an associates with an emphasis on film, and then go to a University. Is that possible?

I also look at Minnesota school of business and the Art Institute, but I decided against both of them. I appreciate any advice anyone has, becasue I am so stuck right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,020 times
Anyone?

Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM

142 posts, read 676,255 times
Make a list of the university/college/school you want to complete your degree in. Through their department websites, you should find information on the minimum requirements to transfer (type of courses, minimum units, GPAs, etc). Then cross-reference the requisite courses as well as GEs from the prospective college to what is offered at your local CC.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
Once you identify a handul of schools that have good programs in your field and you can get into them, put a paper with the name of each on a wall. Close your eyes and throw a dart.

Or you cna draw one name out of a hat.

Just go to the one you have not heard of before, or the one that no one else you know is going to.

Visit the campus and count the attractive guys or girls (whichever you prefer) Choose the one with the highest count.

Frankly amongst schools in the same class of recognition in a given field, there is no way to know which one is most likely to be a good fit for you. So many random issues will decide that for you. Who your room mate is, which professors you end up with, whether you catch the flu, which college had the girl or guy that will distract you from studying. . . Those factors are going to make a bigger difference than whether one school or professor is ranked a step or two above another. Since you have no experience with college and no one with college experience has any experience being you, it becomes a crap shoot. Plus you will never know if some other college might have been better for you.

Just pick one and go. See what happens. I have seen people do all kinds of analysis, research and selection activity, pick a college and some random issue pops up that makes it completely wrong for them.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,430,075 times
USC, NYU.

A less expensive option (and less competitive) would be to move to CA, spend 2 years at a Community College, Santa Monica would be good, and then transfer to UCLA (preferably) or CSUN.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:45 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,529,551 times
There are a lot of good schools out there. Do you want to stay in Minnesota? It'll be cheaper with in-state tuition and all.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,873,934 times
My best friend (who happens to now live in the Twin Cities) has a nephew who claims that if you're really serious about film the only place to go is USC. He attended USC and just happens to be the producer or director (can't remember which) for 'The Bachelor" as well as having his hand in other projects. What path he took from college thru where he is now I don't know. He's only in his 30's so success came quite fast.

Definitely check out USC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities