Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
All very "popped collar and pearls, pink oxford shirts on guys, J.Crew U" - solidly upper middle class to upper class types.
What I found funny, and what I totally didn't expect as an income freshman, is my alma mater was full of solidly upper class and upper middle class types, who were not like that at all. Many outright rejected that sort of thing. Where I went had a fairly strong reputation for working with intelligent students with LDs and being a highly supportive community with a high tolerance for uniqueness among students. As such it attracted a lot of kids from upper class backgrounds looking for those things. I was rather surprised at the the sheer number of folks who had trusts and/or got generous stipends from their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times
Sheena, has your niece decided what to do? It seems like her & her lol are SOL she shouldve applied to easier schools, hofstra for example, not super fancy but moderatley known, she could have gotten a decent amount of money there. I got 18.5k and my ACT was WORSE than her SAT- hofstra looked at the breakdown and my math was 18...

Same thing with pace, I got 19 and my friend got 19.5k neither one of ua are geniuses.

I truly do feel bad for them but if they aren't looking to RD schools than no one can help. It seems like the onky options they have are

A gap year
A community college
Or they can suck it up

And I'm assuming it will be the latter. I'm very shocked that no one told this parent about EOP, HEOP or any of the other programs, makes yoy wonder how concerned mom was. If she waa truly micromanaging she could have at least done a good job and do her researxh!

I'm interested in knowing what the final decison will be so keep us poated!

Also, everyone I apologize for the atrocious amount of errors in my reaponse, im on my phone and there is a delay and its just beong stupid lol.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Please don't be obtuse - "fancy" is as good a word as any to describe the differences between these schools.
I am not being obtuse because I don't think fancy is a good word to describe a college.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
What I found funny, and what I totally didn't expect as an income freshman, is my alma mater was full of solidly upper class and upper middle class types, who were not like that at all. Many outright rejected that sort of thing. Where I went had a fairly strong reputation for working with intelligent students with LDs and being a highly supportive community with a high tolerance for uniqueness among students. As such it attracted a lot of kids from upper class backgrounds looking for those things. I was rather surprised at the the sheer number of folks who had trusts and/or got generous stipends from their families.
I hear you. Very curious about where you went.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am not being obtuse because I don't think fancy is a good word to describe a college.
OK. Fair enough. Do you have a better word?

By "obtuse", I would mean being concrete or legalistic about the word, and yet not comprehending the concept.

I actually think you do comprehend it, but do not like the word "fancy". Fair enough.

Is there a word that you prefer? Please share it with us.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
OK. Fair enough. Do you have a better word?

By "obtuse", I would mean being concrete or legalistic about the word, and yet not comprehending the concept.

I actually think you do comprehend it, but do not like the word "fancy". Fair enough.

Is there a word that you prefer? Please share it with us.
I think if you mean socially elite you should just say socially elite. Fancy is very vague.

Edited to add: I think the words we choose are important. That does not make me obtuse.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I wasn't directed where to apply, I did all of that research on my own. I did hours of research finding the best schools that would fit for me.

In my honest opinion, parents should stop trying to control their kids' lives. I see way too many kids I go to school with still controlled by their parents that still can't make decisions for themselves.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I agree, it's one thing to offer helpful advice and give opinions etc but in the end, it's the kid's life and they need to do the bulk of the research and decide for themselves, imo too many parents try to micromanage. Sure, you can be interested and can sit down w/ them and go over the financial aspect(s) to help prepare them but in the end, it's up to the student (even doing that a yr or so before they graduate is helpful). My parents drove me to a college i was particularly interested in and we went on the tour but they sat outside while I was interviewed (which Im sure happens these days as well).

Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
So what word or words would you prefer? Socially elite? Preppy? Traditional and expensive but not necessarily more difficult that other colleges? Legacy oriented? Crew and dressage enhanced?

Give me a phrase! Because I think you know the type of school we are all referencing, and "highly competitive" does not begin to describe them.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I think if you mean socially elite you should just say socially elite. Fancy is very vague.

Edited to add: I think the words we choose are important. That does not make me obtuse.
I think words are very important also. "Fancy" was not my choice of a word, and yet; the poster who used that term did manage to convey to me, the meaning of "fancy", with reference to colleges.
Google search also understands it, when paired with the word "college". Try it.

You'll see. "fancy works".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities