Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,171,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
He also advocates immigration reform and thinks that undocumented students should be part of our future. Check it out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mark-zuckerberg-immigrants-are-the-key-to-a-knowledge-economy/2013/04/10/aba05554-a20b-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_story.html?hpid=z3
Absolutely. It is all but impossible to find a really good, qualified candidate in many STEM fields right now. The last opening we had for a computer programmer got only three applications that were qualified, whereas the Indian contracting company that we use gave us ten candidates in two days.

Most Americans simply don't put the time or effort into studying STEM, so we need to resort to immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Typical corporate popaganda. Let's flood the nation with cheap STEM talent so we don't have to pay highly inteligent and educated workers a living wage.
There are not a lot of 'highly educated' workers in America. People think they get a BS in a STEM field and suddenly deserve a high paying job. The number of 'highly intelligent and educated workers' in America is an extremely small figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,363,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Absolutely. It is all but impossible to find a really good, qualified candidate in many STEM fields right now. The last opening we had for a computer programmer got only three applications that were qualified, whereas the Indian contracting company that we use gave us ten candidates in two days.

Most Americans simply don't put the time or effort into studying STEM, so we need to resort to immigrants.

There are not a lot of 'highly educated' workers in America. People think they get a BS in a STEM field and suddenly deserve a high paying job. The number of 'highly intelligent and educated workers' in America is an extremely small figure.

Here we go again. There are vast numbers of Americans unemployed at all degree levels BS, MS, and PhD. Take chemistry often called the central science. There is 19% flat out unemployment in Chemistry for MS grads. However, a more in depth reading of these figures shows the real truth. Only 29, 38, and 41% of BS, MS, and PhD have full time jobs and what is worse is half of those percentages work in academia where at the BS and MS level they are in low paid dead end technician jobs and at the PhD level most are not tenured professors they are poor paid post-docs or adjunct professors.

Unemployment in STEM is rampant and salaries are low clearly demonstrating a lack of strong demand in the labor market.

U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren’t there

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...QUW_story.html

Voting with their Wallets

Science Can’t Compete for the Ablest Grads, New Study Shows

http://scienceprogress.org/2009/12/v...their-wallets/

Vanishing Science Jobs

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...ZsmTh1sGmtVr8L

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-12-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,171,091 times
Quote:

Here we go again. There are vast numbers of Americans unemployed at all degree levels BS, MS, and PhD. Take chemistry often called the central science. There is 19% flat out unemployment in Chemistry for MS grads. However, a more in depth reading of these figures shows the real truth. Only 29, 38, and 41% of BS, MS, and PhD have full time jobs and what is worse is half of those percentages work in academia where at the BS and MS level they are in low paid dead end technician jobs and at the PhD level most are not tenured professors they are poor paid post-docs or adjunct professors.

Unemployment in STEM is rampant and salaries are low clearly demonstrating a lack of strong demand in the labor market.

U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren’t there

U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren’t there - The Washington Post

Science Can’t Compete for the Ablest Grads, New Study Shows

Vanishing Science Jobs

[Vanishing science jobs--Josh Bloom - NYPOST.com
Right. That $73/hour for PhDs is terrible.

As I said before, get more education. A lack of an educated workforce in America is the problem. That chart tell me that you need to go back for a PhD in Chemical Engineering. Why the hell wouldn't you do that given a background like yours right now?

Oh wait, you will let an immigrant do that, take the $88/hour job and then complain that you aren't paid enough (even though you didn't put in the effort to get the right education)

Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,780,576 times
One of our major Canadian banks was about to dismiss 40 Canadian workers and replace them with 40 foreign workers. Then there was such an uproar that the bank published an apology this morning..This is corporatism...some say that it is capitalism so it's okay...But it is not capitalism it is capitalism gone to seed. Everyone wants to continue to get something for nothing...Facebook? What a joke...a place were kids compile their own quasi criminal records for all to read and for all to use against them in the future - screw the weasel Zukerberg.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,363,020 times
Quote:

As I said before, get more education. A lack of an educated workforce in America is the problem. That chart tell me that you need to go back for a PhD in Chemical Engineering. Why the hell wouldn't you do that given a background like yours right now?

Oh wait, you will let an immigrant do that, take the $88/hour job and then complain that you aren't paid enough (even though you didn't put in the effort to get the right education)
You might want to actually read the figure before making more ignorant posts as usual. The pay is in salary thousands per year. See the little ($ thousands) unit label. The median salary of the 29% of BS grads with full time jobs is $35k, $50k with a MS, and $73k with a PhD (as I said the minority that have jobs) and those are the salaries will all levels of experience many jobs pay below $30k and have no benefits.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Quote:

Lack of educated workforce my eye! More people go to college before than ever before. There are tons of posts on here and on P&OC about college grads working at McDonald's. While I don't believe all the hyperbole, there is no lack of educated workers in this country.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,363,050 times
Quote:
Typical corporate popaganda. Let's flood the nation with cheap STEM talent so we don't have to pay highly inteligent and educated workers a living wage.
Exactly labor is a commodity like any other and governed by supply and demand. The greater the supply the lower the price assuming no uptick in demand.

I never understood why people hold tech companies in such high esteem relative to places like GE, and the private equity field. They all want to squeeze costs and they are all looking to avoid or blatantly evade paying their fair share of taxes.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,987,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Lack of educated workforce my eye! More people go to college before than ever before. There are tons of posts on here and on P&OC about college grads working at McDonald's. While I don't believe all the hyperbole, there is no lack of educated workers in this country.
30% of America has at least a Bachelor's degree... That leaves 70% uneducated. If that sounds like "no lack," then I guess you'd be right.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:58 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
30% of America has at least a Bachelor's degree... That leaves 70% uneducated. If that sounds like "no lack," then I guess you'd be right.
And that number is increasing all the time, and yes, I do mean ALL the time.

NPR did a good story about this H1-B mess. There is plenty of documentation that there are plenty of qualified Americans to fill these jobs.

H-1B Visa Applications As An Economic Indicator : Planet Money : NPR

Funny that the vast majority of the people on this forum usually carry on about 'college not being for everyone', etc.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,524,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
More people go to college before than ever before.

But what are these college students studying? I think the whole premise of the thread is the lack of STEM and/or practical majors (business, health care, science, engineering) vs softologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities