Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't put too much focus on the classes and how professors teach anyways. Most of the learning in college is done with the reading, writing, and research participation outside of the classroom. The tacit knowledge gained by being involved in the field is where you get the real learning. So don't stress with what you may or may not be taught in the classroom. You'll get the most of it from outside of the classroom as long as you're in a good university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wouldn't put too much focus on the classes and how professors teach anyways. Most of the learning in college is done with the reading, writing, and research participation outside of the classroom. The tacit knowledge gained by being involved in the field is where you get the real learning. So don't stress with what you may or may not be taught in the classroom. You'll get the most of it from outside of the classroom as long as you're in a good university.
Oh, believe me, I take full responsibility for my learning! My issue is with how a poorly structured class can affect my grade. The difference between an A and a B might mean a scholarship and a professor or instructor who designs poorly written tests, or has idiotic policies, can mean the difference of a letter grade.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
I'm guessing the detailed test questions is for him to determine if you actually read the book/stories, not just the Cliffs Notes or listened to the lectures.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm guessing the detailed test questions is for him to determine if you actually read the book/stories, not just the Cliffs Notes or listened to the lectures.
Right, I get that... I just think there are more meaningful and useful ways to determine this. More short answer or essay questions? Writing assignments? I know it means more grading though.. which is a concern in a large class, of course.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Completely depends on the field. In my field both articles & books are common, but in other fields books are extremely rare and articles (including co-authored articles) are the norm. In my department at Michigan, those whose research was quantitative tended to publish articles, while those whose research was qualitative tended to publish books (as a generalization).
You're right, it would depend on the field. And it sounds like your school has more sophisticated evals than where I was teaching, though it's been awhile; maybe the evals have evolved since I left university work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities