Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Realistically, if you can'd do integral and differential calculus you're probably not going to be able to do algorithm analysis or complexity theory in general. If you can't do relatively abstract math in general the other branches of computer science will also defeat you. Can you write code? Probably. Will you understand what you are doing and what the machine is doing to any significant depth? Probably not.

As for pharmacists, given what they do nowadays I don't see why they need a degree at all; just a little guild featherbedding I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Went to visit my family for the weekend and saw my sister, a Pharm.D. major, doing her Calculus II homework. What direct bearing does Calculus II have on her ability to be a good pharmacist?

It immediately brought back bitter memories and fired me up. Once upon a time, I was turned off by a CS major because I'm lousy at Calculus. Likewise to pharmacy, what direct bearing does Calculus have on my ability to read and write code?

Just looking for opinions on this issue. I feel that these courses are a big waste of student's time and money towards the pursuit of their major.
There is absolutely no point in studying advanced mathematics for a humanities or social science major unless he or she has a desire to study that subject.

Many distributional requirements exist only to bolster sagging departments.

I'm an ardent supporter of the "Open Curriculum" outside of one's major, and related cognate courses.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is absolutely no point in studying advanced mathematics for a humanities or social science major unless he or she has a desire to study that subject.
If you want to call the social sciences "sciences", you're going to need statistics at the least. You can do statistics without calculus, but it's a quite limited understanding at best.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM

315 posts, read 563,912 times
It shows you how to be stressed out? I do not mesh particularly well with math and I don't think my major will ever really need anything past stats and basic algebra and problem solving but I need to take Pre-calc.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
It shows you how to be stressed out? I do not mesh particularly well with math and I don't think my major will ever really need anything past stats and basic algebra and problem solving but I need to take Pre-calc.
And I am sure you will have an excaliber test style course in your major. I rather have these style courses that are actually relevant to majors than some menial hard labor course that just pads the lower level "requirements."

Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
> There is absolutely no point in studying advanced mathematics for a humanities or social science major unless he or she has a desire to study that subject.

This is why a large portion of the population cannot reason clearly about the national debt, taxes, welfare policy, health care...anything that requires looking at graphs, interpreting trends and comparing numbers.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM

315 posts, read 563,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And I am sure you will have an excaliber test style course in your major. I rather have these style courses that are actually relevant to majors than some menial hard labor course that just pads the lower level "requirements."
Depends on the school you attend. I am a Science major at CC for now, will be a Natural Resources major/Environmental Science major - overall the school I was looking to transfer to has Stat courses relevant to Wildlife type surveys and things of that nature rather than just basic statistical methods, which I think I'd do well in since I actually care about it. My concentration will most likely be Fish/Wildlife Research or Conservation.

After talking to a decent amount of people in the field most have said they've never used anything from Calc class, that isn't to say it is pointless, but I don't see WHY they make you take it for things like this. Math stresses me out to the core, but I guess you just gotta get passed it.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
It seems there's a lack of understanding of the difference between college and trade school.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Depends on the school you attend. I am a Science major at CC for now, will be a Natural Resources major/Environmental Science major - overall the school I was looking to transfer to has Stat courses relevant to Wildlife type surveys and things of that nature rather than just basic statistical methods, which I think I'd do well in since I actually care about it. My concentration will most likely be Fish/Wildlife Research or Conservation.

After talking to a decent amount of people in the field most have said they've never used anything from Calc class, that isn't to say it is pointless, but I don't see WHY they make you take it for things like this. Math stresses me out to the core, but I guess you just gotta get passed it.
Environmental Science is usually housed in a school of science. The lower level prereqs for most science majors will be one year of Calc, one year of Physics, and one year or Chemistry. ES also has Biology prereqs.

It's part of getting a 'science' degree, so to speak. If you decided to go Environmental Studies, you wouldn't need all that.

Most people will never use what they learn in school at their jobs.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
As for pharmacists, given what they do nowadays I don't see why they need a degree at all; just a little guild featherbedding I suppose.
If you think that all pharmacists do is take large bulk packages of drugs and put them into little bottles, yeah I agree to some extent. But they often handle very powerful drugs that can kill people if not taken correctly, at the right dose, or mixed with certain other drugs. They also deal with controlled substances like human growth hormones, steroids, narcotics, adderall, etc.

I think I'd prefer someone that is educated, licensed, and has a background in pharmacology and chemistry handing that than the guy stocking shampoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities