Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times

Advertisements

As Amherst rejects online lecture model, educators ponder what’s to gain from trend - The Washington Post

An interesting article pondering the future of online education and massive open online courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Amherst determined it was not a fit for edX and the MOOC model. I don't see what one school turning down edX has to do with the future of online education. I'm not a fan of the model either, but dozens of top colleges are still signing up to participate. Older people who are slow to accept change will eventually retire and die anyway.

Quote:
Agarwal said he spotted a 17-year-old named Amol Bhave, from Jabalpur, India, who had aced his MOOC on circuits and electronics. The edX president recommended Bhave to MIT’s dean of admissions. In March, Bhave said, he was admitted to the Class of 2017.
That's a really nice story. I also read a couple of stories of how people found jobs after completing MOOC courses in computer science. I think they were Udacity courses.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Using technology to fight cheating in online education - latimes.com

LA Times article about the using technology to prevent cheating in online education

Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
One of the biggest problems with these MOOCs is that the universities have found no way to monetize them. There is as of yet no viable business model to support one group of people getting for free what others are paying maybe $40,000 a year in tuition for. What will they do, keep raising raising tuition so that they can offer these courses? Families are already starting to pushback on the cost of education. And the more bells and whistles that are added to these courses to make them resemble traditional ones -- i.e., live additional isntructors, proctors at test sites, and more elaborate software and technology -- the higher the cost will be. Cheaper than bricks and mortar education? Probably so. But free? Technology is never free. Somebody, somewhere along the line, will have to pay to make the MOOC model sustainable. They just haven't gotten the bill yet.

The most interesting thing to me about these courses educationally, is that they seem to work againt the "specialness" of traditional admissions criteria at the big-name universities. When community college students can handle MIT style lectures it proves that maybe being smart isnt the only thing you need to get into MIT. Of course these top schools have always had a holistic admission process that considers more than grades and test scores -- they conisder the "whole" student. But these types of course may end up eroding their exclusivity more than they imagined if they become more widespread, a factor, no coubt, in Amherst's refusal to participate.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Oddly enough, knowledge has always been free, or almost free. After all it is found in books and people can read (study) them for free. What we pay for in a college is (1) a system (someone tells you what books to read, and how to think about them, and how to organize books into a body of knowledge) and (2) a credential.

I am amused about how we are using expensive technology to replace cheap technology that does something very similar. The web-based course presents information like a book; powerpoint and the computer projector replaces chalk.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Coursera to offer students free online textbooks, with conditions - The Washington Post

somewhat related article

Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
As Amherst rejects online lecture model, educators ponder what’s to gain from trend - The Washington Post

An interesting article pondering the future of online education and massive open online courses.

I'm happy about it. On not less that 37 different levels. I don't know that Amherst's decision will have any impact upon other colleges, though.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM

U-Va. MOOC finds high attrition, high satisfaction - The Washington Post

new article about online education and high attrition rates at course

Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Mitopen courseware is amazing
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials

Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Georgia Tech has partnered with Udacity to offer an online master's in computer science.
Georgia Tech, Udacity Shock Higher Ed With $7,000 Degree - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities