Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Happy alumni and large endowments....Merit Scholarships

along with that, the price tag is such that people with higher incomes will qualify for aid if needed as well. If your expected family contribution is 20,000 and the sticker price is 58,000, at colleges that meet need or come close to meeting need, like the private schools in MN do, along with that $18,000 automatic scholarship comes another 35k or so....at the U of MN, you won't get anything and have to come up with the full 28,000...so 18K+35K=$5,000 left to pay.

MN-Born-n-Raised--given that you didn't apply to any private schools, you wouldn't have seen how this works....it is what is is whether you choose to believe it or not but if you ask your kids' friends that did apply to these schools, they would tell you the same thing....even at the most expensive school our kids applied to they were still under what the U would have cost....with no financial aid in the package at all.
Even with that award, where you have to be in the top 10% and have top SATs, you're still paying 27 to 30K. That's still double what U of Mn costs. If you are top 1% of your class, they might give you 18K. But that's still almost 10K more than U of Mn.

I mean, you really think St. Olaf is going to let all or even half of their students attend for 5K a year?

At the schools your kids went to, maybe they pay 5K a year. When I applied to colleges, no private school gave me any merit aid. Granted, we're talking about Johns Hopkins, and Northwestern and such. But I'm pretty sure those schools give the same amount today. Zip.

There seems to be a new phenomenon where smaller private schools in an attempt to lure good students will give them lots of $, but that's far from the case at every private school. If it were the case, then my friends would have went to Notre Dame and Vanderbilt instead of Rutgers. Can you imagine them passing up Notre Dame in favor of Rutgers if it were cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank you. I don't even remember now. She got some scholarship money from several sources, and she worked some. It wasn't cheap but it was what we and she wanted.
St. Olaf is a fine college. Most of the students are high achievers with successful family backing. Families have their reasons for selecting one college over another and some might be faith based reasons. I was deeply impressed with their campus and I love the vibe of that town.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
St. Olaf is considered the "mecca" of Lutheran colleges and does not give out a lot of merit aid. My DD got a small scholarship. OTOH, they do say they'll meet financial need, as determined by them, of course.

Actually, wrt vet school, that student's experience is not unusual. It's harder to get into vet school than med school. "Many are called, but few are chosen".
Very true. A vet is a dream job for many people. As a side note, she did get in her 2nd attempt and graduates this year from the UofMN.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
All the schools my D applied to had 100% acceptance rate into medical schools over the past few years, I am not concerned at all if that is the route she ends up going, not one bit, but thanks for your concern. She had 2 schools that she was accepted into their auto-admit med school track and had she chosen either of those schools, as long as she maintained her grades she would have continued on to med school without question, however she chose not to attend those schools for various reasons.
No school has a 100% acceptance rate to medical school. Harvard doesn't have a 100% acceptance rate.

Some schools have the practice of discouraging students who are not assured entrance from applying to medical school, to keep their #s high so they can attract freshmen who have no idea what it takes to get into medical school.

Pretty sneaky actually if you ask me.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
No school has a 100% acceptance rate to medical school. Harvard doesn't have a 100% acceptance rate.

Some schools have the practice of discouraging students who are not assured entrance from applying to medical school, to keep their #s high so they can attract freshmen who have no idea what it takes to get into medical school.

Some schools also have the practice of "counseling out" students they think won't get accepted to med school, which raises the acceptance rate. I think if a student really, really wants to go to med school, s/he should apply and let the school say "yes" or "no".

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Some schools also have the practice of "counseling out" students they think won't get accepted to med school, which raises the acceptance rate. I think if a student really, really wants to go to med school, s/he should apply and let the school say "yes" or "no".
Almost EVERY school does this....I don't see it as an issue. If the professionals that see kids year in and year out and KNOW what it takes to be a doctor suggest that it's not the right path, I guess I trust their judgement. Doesn't bother me in the least.... A student can ALWAYS apply to medical school. They don't have to have the permission of their UG to do so. If they chose not to apply after being counseled that it's not the right path for them, that is up to them, not the school.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Yes, MANY schools have 100% acceptance rates, feel free to look up almost every liberal arts college and their acceptance rate----as for the rest, see my previous response. The school our D will attend had 100% of their kids get into med school last year, 3 of whom are at the U of Chicago med school-which is one of the top, if not the top, med schools in the country....nope, not worried at all.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Even with that award, where you have to be in the top 10% and have top SATs, you're still paying 27 to 30K. That's still double what U of Mn costs. If you are top 1% of your class, they might give you 18K. But that's still almost 10K more than U of Mn.

I mean, you really think St. Olaf is going to let all or even half of their students attend for 5K a year?

At the schools your kids went to, maybe they pay 5K a year. When I applied to colleges, no private school gave me any merit aid. Granted, we're talking about Johns Hopkins, and Northwestern and such. But I'm pretty sure those schools give the same amount today. Zip.

There seems to be a new phenomenon where smaller private schools in an attempt to lure good students will give them lots of $, but that's far from the case at every private school. If it were the case, then my friends would have went to Notre Dame and Vanderbilt instead of Rutgers. Can you imagine them passing up Notre Dame in favor of Rutgers if it were cheaper?
I never said that Olaf lets people attend for $5K. I said OUR kids are paying that at the private schools they will be attending. I said that most private schools, for better students, are less expensive than the U of MN....big difference.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, MANY schools have 100% acceptance rates, feel free to look up almost every liberal arts college and their acceptance rate----as for the rest, see my previous response. The school our D will attend had 100% of their kids get into med school last year, 3 of whom are at the U of Chicago med school-which is one of the top, if not the top, med schools in the country....nope, not worried at all.
They have 100% rates because they discourage anybody who doesn't have a 4.0 or close to apply. And those who do apply, they don't count them towards their score. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

Even Harvard is not at 100%.

Nobody is trying to say your daughter can't be a doctor.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
All of the students that I know that went to a MN private are paying north of $20K per year. None of them are dummies. Your example is the exception. Shy of calling those schools, I'm still not buying it. But when I have time, I'm going to call a couple St.___________ to get the skinny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities