Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,225 times

Advertisements

I have currently been working as a counselor at an after school center and as a tutor as I was working towards getting my masters in education and was recently admitted to an education graduate program at UCI.

However, I am kind of pulled toward getting my masters in psychology instead but have no idea of how to go about doing so.

Where in the world can I go from here to start towards getting my masters in clinical psychology? Where should I look towards getting a job/experience?

I'm 25. Am I too old to be switching now? Should I just stay on the teaching route?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
A master's degree in psychology leads to no where. You need a PhD to be licensed in most places.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A master's degree in psychology leads to no where. You need a PhD to be licensed in most places.
A master's degree in psychology is a perfect degree to have for someone planning on finishing their college education. It can be great for folks wanting to study HCC/HCI, behavioral sciences, and a wide range of subjects. The foundations of many research techniques used at the PhD level are based on psychology.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,225 times
What kind of a job can I get with only a Master's in psychology and no doctorate? Therapist?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,008 times
To be a therapist, you'd likely need to complete a counselor education program or a social work program. As for a master's in psychology, you can go through the program and get your license to practice as an associate, but you will be more working with assessments than doing actual therapy.

If you have a passion for autistic kids, a master's in psychology with a focus on behavioral analysis can open up many doors.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod7 View Post
I have currently been working as a counselor at an after school center and as a tutor as I was working towards getting my masters in education and was recently admitted to an education graduate program at UCI.

However, I am kind of pulled toward getting my masters in psychology instead but have no idea of how to go about doing so.

Where in the world can I go from here to start towards getting my masters in clinical psychology? Where should I look towards getting a job/experience?

I'm 25. Am I too old to be switching now? Should I just stay on the teaching route?

Thanks!
Psych is a way saturated field with high unemployment. Your job prospects are better with education. There are some fields that mix the two, like early child psychology. Focus on what you can do with it later more than on what you feel like studying now. n

Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
I am about the ask the same similar question..let's see what answers I get.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,397,835 times
Ask your waiter how his psychology degree worked out for him :P

Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Actually, a lot of states license people with master's degrees in psychology as LPCs or LMHCs. Normally, the program has to meet certain criteria such as 48-60 semester hours or the quarter hour equivalent, a few hundred hours of practicum, and a couple of thousand hours of internship.

According to the Georgetown study, those with a graduate degree in psychology have an unemployment rate of 3.4% and an average salary of $61,000. Those with a graduate degree in education have an unemployment rate of 1.7%-2.4% depending on specialization. The average salary ranges from $54,000-$60,000.
http://www9.georgetown.edu/grad/gppi...al.update1.pdf

A social work degree would get you a license in social work. A degree in counselor education might get you a license as a school counselor. A master's degree in counseling or psychology will get you licensed as a licensed professional counselor or licensed mental health counselor depending on the state you live in. Unlike psychology associates, counselors can practice independently. There is also school psychology which has its own licensure and is different from school counseling. Another option would be to get a degree in marriage and family therapy. A master's level license in social work, counseling, or marriage and family therapy will allow you to practice independently in most states.

According to BLS, the growth in mental health counseling will be much faster than average, but the pay is relatively low for the amount of education and training that is required. Here are some links so that you can compare the various fields.
School and Career Counselors : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Psychologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Rehabilitation Counselors : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Mental Health Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Community-and...al-workers.htm

I'd really hate to be rude, but you have gotten a lot of bad information in this thread so far.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
That's not true. An MA is enough for licensing in many states. Check w/your state regs, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities