U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,859,296 times

Advertisements

I was shocked to learn that certain Ivy League schools make you pass a swim test before you can graduate. I think that is kind of crazy. What about anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Almost as bad as admitting student athletes who perform poorly at "pluses and takeaways" while rejecting kids with 3.9 GPAs.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Meh... doesn't matter to me.
If anyone doesn't like the graduation requirements, they can CHOOSE to go elsewhere! Simple enough.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 PM

14,046 posts, read 9,781,545 times
If they are a private school, then their school, their rules. I know MIT requires it, they have four years to pass it and it isn't very stringent.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,859,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If they are a private school, then their school, their rules. I know MIT requires it, they have four years to pass it and it isn't very stringent.

I know what you are saying it just seems like such an odd requirement

Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 PM

504 posts, read 628,015 times
I went to a school that had this requirement and I think it is a good thing. For one thing, basic swimming ability is a fundamental life skill everyone should have "just in case." Second, it can build confidence which is also important.

I wouldn't mind seeing a basic CPR course requirement and a basic finacial management requirement either.

I don't know of anyone who failed to graduate due to the swimming requirement. It is pretty easy and there is help available if you need it.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,396,437 times
Mortimer Adler was one of the more interesting cases of someone who refused to take the Ivy-League swimming test on principle. Columbia University withheld his Bachelors degree as a result. Nevertheless, he became a lecturer and then a professor at Columbia, received his PhD there, and later went on to the faculty at the University of Chicago. He is also remembered as an enthusiastic proponent of the Great Books and as editor of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Columbia relented at some point, and gave him his BA late in life.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
What seems weird to me is why "Ivy League" is even mentioned. My daughters college, NOT an Ivy league, had a swim test requirement for graduation. Some colleges have a financial literacy requirement. If a college feels some life skill is essential they require it..

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM

2,393 posts, read 4,856,485 times
Tradition. Seems pretty strange now, especially since students with disabilities are admitted and accommodated. I don't remember if I had a swim test (a long time ago now) but I remember we did have a required semester of gym.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Mortimer Adler was one of the more interesting cases of someone who refused to take the Ivy-League swimming test on principle. Columbia University withheld his Bachelors degree as a result. Nevertheless, he became a lecturer and then a professor at Columbia, received his PhD there, and later went on to the faculty at the University of Chicago. He is also remembered as an enthusiastic proponent of the Great Books and as editor of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Columbia relented at some point, and gave him his BA late in life.
"....Though he refused to take the required swimming test for a bachelor's degree (a matter that was rectified when Columbia gave him an honorary degree in 1983), ..."

from

Mortimer J. Adler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or