U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,718,617 times

Advertisements

A CD poster asked about career choices/majors that we chose and I'm curious how many of you actually work in a related industry of your major from college, technical school, community college etc.

I have a business degree in Management Information Systems. I LOVE technology but things just didn't work out for me. To make a long story short, since graduating in 2000, I've only had one job related to the tech industry. I am now going back to school to either get an accounting degree or accounting certificate for post-baccs. It has been a long journey for me in responding to the age-old question "What do I want to do with my life?" but I believe accounting is a good fit!

DH, on the other hand, was an ME major - total math geek - and now he works in the nuke industry. I guess it's not totally related but a lot of his skills are transferrable. He loves what he does and job security is just about a gimme if you can handle the pressure of passing the licensing exams.

I'd love to hear your story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 05:56 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,977,720 times
I majored in a foreign language and minored in two others; I work in I.T., so my career isn't related to my degree in any way, shape, or form. And I'm happy with it.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,419,971 times
I have an Anthropology degree so I think you know the answer . I've worked in libraries for the past 8 years, so getting a Masters in Library Science (MLS) would be the most logical step for me. The problem is that there is not much money to be made in the library field and the future of the profession is not heading where I would like it to be. My logical side says go into healthcare. If I were to do that I would either go the Physician Assistant or Pharmacy route. Nursing is absolutely out. But then my other side tells me to go ahead with the MLS because that's what I really want to do. Or maybe go into Psychology since I find it so interesting. But then again, I went into Anthropology because I found it interesting too. All in all, I still don't know what the heck I want to do with my life.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,956,484 times
I majored in History, with a concentration in European History post-1400s. Right now I am working in a law firm, working in commercial litigation as a paralegal assistant. I am very pleased I am not a teacher or working in a museum. They just weren't the right fit for me.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 AM

48 posts, read 164,647 times
I have a degree in Journalism.
I work in health care.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 AM

673 posts, read 2,877,480 times
I dont have my degree yet but am currently pursuing a Bachelors degree in Information Systems, Database Development. I am highly considering putting that on hold and going for my Associates in Health Information Technology and getting certified. I believe healthcare is where its at right now.

I currently have been doing CATIA and AutoCad design work for aircraft carriers for the past 4 years.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
All in all, I still don't know what the heck I want to do with my life.
I don't know what I want to do with my life either!

I can tell you that a pharmacist or physician's assistant can land you a very comfortable salary so if it's for the money (and interest, too, of course) then go for it but if library science is your passion and money isn't on the top of your list as "important", then I'd say go with library science. You are in the industry, you like your job and you have a genuine interest. I think pharmacists need an MD degree nowadays though so you will be literally startin' from scratch.

It's funny you mentioned library science. I recently started going back to school and I go to the library to study. I noticed there was no card catalog!!! Now, I know I probably haven't hung out in a library since, oh, say ... pre-millenium but whoa! No card catalog?! I wonder if kids these days even know how to use one! heeehee

Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msviolar View Post
I have a degree in Journalism.
I work in health care.
Short, sweet and to the point!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I dont have my degree yet but am currently pursuing a Bachelors degree in Information Systems, Database Development. I am highly considering putting that on hold and going for my Associates in Health Information Technology and getting certified. I believe healthcare is where its at right now.

I currently have been doing CATIA and AutoCad design work for aircraft carriers for the past 4 years.
HIT sounds like it will be related to your major so getting an AA and making some money for now sounds like a good idea! Healthcare IS a good industry - no doubt about that - good luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 AM

4,970 posts, read 14,008,224 times
I have a Bachelor's in Accounting and I work in Accounting. I don't like where I work but I like what I do. I am a number cruncher through and through. I can interact well with the people I work with, but dealing with the public isn't something I could handle. I've working in an accounting department for 17 years, 10 as an accountant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or