Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,816 times

Advertisements

i know IT is a great field. but i dont get the same passion i do with healthcare. i have many credits in a biology degree but all my job experience is with IT. how can i change to healthcare without basically starting over? im an adult with a daughter and most healthcare degrees require you to be a fulltime on campus student. how can i make this happen? What would be the easiest and most realisitc healthcare degree to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i know IT is a great field. but i dont get the same passion i do with healthcare. i have many credits in a biology degree but all my job experience is with IT. how can i change to healthcare without basically starting over? im an adult with a daughter and most healthcare degrees require you to be a fulltime on campus student. how can i make this happen? What would be the easiest and most realisitc healthcare degree to get?
I believe a lot of nursing programs still have an Associate degree option. You could do some of your classes online, but would of course have to do your clinical rotations at a hospital.

My field is Clinical Laboratory Science, and a lot of us WISH we were in IT. The IT people who work for the lab make a lot more more money than those of us who do the laboratory testing.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,918,577 times
Investigate bioinformatics.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,630 times
Healthcare IT. BAM!

The health field is so huge ... what did you even want to go into? With a biology degree, wouldn't it be mostly lab work? Nursing shares a lot of the same pre-req classes as public health.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
You could switch, but you'd almost definitely have to start at the bottom.

There's not really any link between IT and healthcare.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
There's not really any link between IT and healthcare.
There most certainly is a link between the two. Where do you think paper records are going?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
An RN degree will be tough to get because of all the hours you'd have to spend away from home, but it will ultimately make you the most money with the least education. With a lot of programs, if you come in with your generals done (and it sounds like you've already taken a bunch of college courses), you could be in and out with your RN Associate's Degree in less than two years. And you'll probably be earning close to, or over, $50,000.00 out the gate. I work in a nursing program, and a lot of the students are mothers (some have even been pregnant and given birth while doing the program) - it's very, very hard work, but rewarding and worth it in the end.

Be very wary of private for-profit colleges that tell you to sign up for a Medical Assistant or any type of general healthcare diploma or degree program. Those jobs will ultimately only get you about $10 - $12 an hour.

If you have a Bachelor's Degree already, then look into MBA in Healthcare Management programs online. Some of them are expensive, but there are also some that are very reasonably priced.

And remember, you could always get a job in IT working in a hospital setting. If you get a job in IT at a university hospital, then as part of your employee benefits package, you'll probably get to take classes there for free or for half cost. You could then afford to take classes slowly, while still working, until you have enough credits for a degree you'd prefer more.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
There most certainly is a link between the two. Where do you think paper records are going?
OK. But that's more like doing IT, just in the healthcare sector.

I understood that the OP actually wants to help people by becoming nurse, doctor, etc, and count her previous IT experience towards that. I don't see how valuable that prior experience is. Actually. I DO see how experience in any field is relevant to any other field. But employers won't pay her for it.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
OK. But that's more like doing IT, just in the healthcare sector.

I understood that the OP actually wants to help people by becoming nurse, doctor, etc, and count her previous IT experience towards that. I don't see how valuable that prior experience is. Actually. I DO see how experience in any field is relevant to any other field. But employers won't pay her for it.
I disagree. It's a mishmash of health and IT. We are different than folks doing straight up IT -- many nurses and other people with medical backgrounds or knowledge are health IT professionals. Our goal is to help providers and staff use records in such a way that helps the patient, and it's pretty satisfying to see health records being actively shared, tracked, and used.

Health IT would be the most realistic thing to go for for someone who already has an IT background, wants to go into health, but doesn't have the time to go full time for a degree in something like nursing.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I disagree. It's a mishmash of health and IT. We are different than folks doing straight up IT -- many nurses and other people with medical backgrounds or knowledge are health IT professionals. Our goal is to help providers and staff use records in such a way that helps the patient, and it's pretty satisfying to see health records being actively shared, tracked, and used.

Health IT would be the most realistic thing to go for for someone who already has an IT background, wants to go into health, but doesn't have the time to go full time for a degree in something like nursing.
Yea, that's fine.

Sounded to me like she wanted to be an actual nurse. And then her prior experience would count for squat. That was all I was saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities