Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
financial need is determined by the college not the applicant/parents .
usually it's determined by US department of education via the fafsa process. if and how exactly this number is met (loan/grant ratio, etc) is up to the college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No argument about my sister. This is one reason I moved to Ohio from NY.

The daughter wants to be an engineer or a physician. STEM subjects.

So much for these colleges that say that they will meet all financial needs of accepted students,
If she wants to do engineering, she won't be able to at those colleges.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
Going to a small school or a liberal arts school can be risky for someone who does not take standardized tests that well and who also wants a career in medicine, science, or engineering. For acceptance into grad/med/pharm programs, grades don't count for much at all, other than to rank similar students. In other words, a student with a 3.8 from Purdue will get accepted to an engineering program regardless of test scores, but a student with the same GPA from a school like Oberlin (where my sister is at now) might not, despite the fact that Oberlin is a very selective school. There are simply not enough Oberlin students going to engineering schools to make GPA statistically meaningful for the admissions committee.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
usually it's determined by US department of education via the fafsa process. if and how exactly this number is met (loan/grant ratio, etc) is up to the college
Yes, that's what I meant. You said it perfectly .

Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Some colleges also give their own funds that have nothing to do with he government.

These colleges were all supposed to be needs blind and to meet the needs of all accepted students.

I never bought into either.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,200 times
Quote:
Some colleges also give their own funds that have nothing to do with he government.

These colleges were all supposed to be needs blind and to meet the needs of all accepted students.

sorry but you are confused

undergraduate admissions are often needs blind. this has nothing to do with the financial aid package offered. i strongly doubt this is why your niece was rejected - those are all extremely competitive schools. do you know her SATs/GPA/etc?

you haven't answered the question regarding her EFC. did they fail to meet that with a combination or grants/loans/work - or did they fail to meet what you and/or your sister deem necessary?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,805,838 times
You can't help your sister. She's stupid and she won't listen. Sorry to be harsh.

The only person who can do anything right now is the daughter. As screwed up as it is, you may have to back off this one.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,338 times
Quote:

I went to Mills College (a small female liberal arts college in Oakland, CA), and I had most of my tuition paid for. In fact, I came out with less debt than I would have if I had gone to a state university, despite the state university's lower cost. Private schools can usually offer more grants because they receive millions in donations each year from past grads or benefactors. However, your niece is young enough that she's considered a dependent of her mother, and therefore, she won't get access to a lot of the grants that are need-based. When I went to school, I was able to qualify for tons of need-based loans because I'm a single parent and Head of Household and earned very little.

Have you spoken to your niece about other options? If she's 18, she can choose where she wants to go and how much debt she's willing to go into. Frankly, going to a community college for two years and then transferring will not only give her a better chance of getting into more schools (a lot of schools love transfer students), but will also drastically reduce her cost of education. Additionally, most schools teach the same stuff for the first two years - paying out your nose for basic humanities, math, and English courses doesn't make sense when you could get pretty much the same education/information those first two years at someplace much less expensive.

Perhaps as a transfer student, your niece would even have a good chance of getting into an elite school. That should please her mom, especially because once she has her degree, it wouldn't matter that she had once attended a community college.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
sorry but you are confused

undergraduate admissions are often needs blind. this has nothing to do with the financial aid package offered. i strongly doubt this is why your niece was rejected - those are all extremely competitive schools. do you know her SATs/GPA/etc?

you haven't answered the question regarding her EFC. did they fail to meet that with a combination or grants/loans/work - or did they fail to meet what you and/or your sister deem necessary?

I am not confused. I said that they were both needs blind and schools that say they would meet the needs. Both,

The EFC said ZERO. I do not trust them to be accurate, in my own experience.

Yes, they failed to meet her need to attend. Not what I deem necessary - or even her - by thousands of dollars, over ten.

And Wellesley says it will meet the financial need of accepted students. I never bought into that either.

The thing is, if Wellesley or Bryn Mawr really wanted her, they would lower their price tag. Simple.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
So much for these colleges that say that they will meet all financial needs of accepted students,
Keep in mind that by meeting all financial needs, what they mean is meeting the EFC. Do you know what your sister's EFC was? I know that when I applied for colleges in 2005, my family's EFC was much, much more than my parents would have been able to contribute, which is why I applied to colleges a tier or two down from what I could have gotten into (which I know was advice that your sister ignored - it was good advice!).

Also, schools are feeling the financial crunch of lower donations from alumni and corporations, budget shortfalls in the sciences due to the sequester (I've been told by colleagues in the sciences to expect layoffs of lab staff), and increased need from students. Schools aren't going to be any more generous than they have to, especially for students who do not stand out from the pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities