Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 PM

137 posts, read 136,038 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for WVU. But I have joint appointment at Rutgers. Rutgers has its ups and downs. There's a lot of great research going on there. But if it were for bachelors level of study, I know all too much to send my child there. Most of the undergraduate programs have turned into textbook programs that focus on the classes more than the academic research. The undergraduate program lacks critical thinking.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 PM

137 posts, read 136,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Stevens is significantly better than Rutgers in the areas that it focuses. NJIT is better in many areas as well. These schools just don't have the big name.
Rider is better than Rutgers for Psychology. TCNJ is better than Rutgers for teaching. I think you got it. It really depends on the program.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
I can't speak for WVU. But I have joint appointment at Rutgers. Rutgers has its ups and downs. There's a lot of great research going on there. But if it were for bachelors level of study, I know all too much to send my child there. Most of the undergraduate programs have turned into textbook programs that focus on the classes more than the academic research. The undergraduate program lacks critical thinking.
So, you work for Rutgers.

Which means that your child will get free tuition for up to 5 years if he decides to go to Rutgers.

But you're going to ship him off to Tufts University instead and spend an extra $160,000, because you think it'll teach him to be a better 'critical thinker'?

I went to grad school at Rutgers and I assure you from my conversations with tenured professors there, not all share your point of view.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I used to work accounting for WVU, and WVU doesnt cost that much. This was 3 years ago, so unless WVU prices dramatically increased over the last few years those prices dont seem right.

The cost of tuition is right there and on the school's website.

Quote:
Also you missed one of the best parts of WVU, Morgantown. It is not a holler. It has been rated best small city in the US before. It has a very high quality of life. Yes it is small, but it is awesome. It is full of bars, restaurants, clubs, shopping, nothing near NYC but still very good. This is coming from someone who lives in DC now and has lived in Barcelona and Brazil. It is cheap to live in and full of outdoor activity. You can afford to live in a big house with roommates and throw parties. In morgantown whole neighborhoods are solely students and there is lots of barbeques and get togethers on decks. It is a GREAT place for a young person. I know students from NYC who thought their time in Morgantown is more fun than living in NYC.
No, I didn't miss that. No different or better than what the city RU sits in, if you can't afford the new high-rise or low-rise housing. Traffic is apparently horrible in M-Town. Pretty horrible around RU too. My WVU friend's daughter complains all the time about townies drooling over the young co-eds even while just "hanging out " at to their off-campus housing, not just only at a bar. Lots of underaged drinking/faking being of age in the bars is also apparently no biggie. Huge movement to rally against the best bar that allowed anyone, no matter the age, to imbibe....starts with an "M", I'll go check her FB and get back to you: Ok, it WAS "Mutt's".

Quote:
It is really to each his own. However, Morgantown is not some small school in the middle of nowhere. It is in a small city that is very hip that lets the students have lots of leeway. Morgantown does compare to NYC in college experience, but in different ways. Morgantown is a college town NYC is not and will never be. NYC is a huge international city that is global center, which Morgantown is not and will never be. Personally I would pick Morgantown for college because you could always work in NYC after the college town life experience. It doesnt work so well the other way around.
RU isn't in NYC. I don't think I mentioned a college in NYC.

If you want to get down to it, it's the culture and what is available around the school. WVU has nothing to offer outside of Morgantown...where are you going to go? Sissonville? You're at RU and you have Philly and NYC right there. And New Brunswick has a lot more going on, as far as small city culture goes, than Morgantown, in the middle of nowhere, could ever hope to.

Not trying to be mean, just realistic.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
However, the nephew that I spoke about up thread is from NYC. Going to college in NY would not have been as much of an education as Morgantown WV was.

Do you realize that New York is not a novelty or a learning experience for students who are from New York?

Old 05-25-2013, 04:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
There are parties on every college campus, even the so called "dry" schools. For many years Madison held the distinction of being the top party school, it's still a good school.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
My brother went to Penn State, which has been the #1 party school at times. My daughter went to the U of CO, ditto? The thing is, these schools are large enough that you can find a group of friends no matter what your interest is. Just because there's a lot of partying going on, that doesn't mean you have to party.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM

977 posts, read 1,814,924 times
WVU is a joke. 80%+ admit rate and average SAT's around 1050 on the old 1600 scale. No way any child of mine is going there to be around all those idiots. Now, a party school like Univ of Wisconsin is a different matter.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-25-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The cost of tuition is right there and on the school's website.

No, I didn't miss that. No different or better than what the city RU sits in, if you can't afford the new high-rise or low-rise housing. Traffic is apparently horrible in M-Town. Pretty horrible around RU too. My WVU friend's daughter complains all the time about townies drooling over the young co-eds even while just "hanging out " at to their off-campus housing, not just only at a bar. Lots of underaged drinking/faking being of age in the bars is also apparently no biggie. Huge movement to rally against the best bar that allowed anyone, no matter the age, to imbibe....starts with an "M", I'll go check her FB and get back to you: Ok, it WAS "Mutt's".

RU isn't in NYC. I don't think I mentioned a college in NYC.

If you want to get down to it, it's the culture and what is available around the school. WVU has nothing to offer outside of Morgantown...where are you going to go? Sissonville? You're at RU and you have Philly and NYC right there. And New Brunswick has a lot more going on, as far as small city culture goes, than Morgantown, in the middle of nowhere, could ever hope to.

Not trying to be mean, just realistic.
Like I said I used to work there and it was around 20k a year for out of state.

Anyway you are wrong on ALL fronts for Morgantown. Perhaps you should go there before making up assumptions about the place. Traffic is bad for WV, it is not compared to a big city and most of NJ. It is expensive for WV but not expensive comapred to WV. If the daughter is attractive guys will look at her that is going to happen in WV, in NJ, in Egypt, or anywhere in the world. Underage drinking is a problem everywhere, and is not a problem isolated to Morgantown.

WVU has a TON of stuff to do outside of Morgantown. Pittsburgh, which is a bigger city, is an hour away. There are tons of outdoor activities just outside of Morgantown.

The poster did bring up NYC, as a comparison he was saying that being 45 minutes from NYC was a strength of Rutgets, so the comparison is even weaker.

Here are the facts. You dont know anything about Morgantown. 100% ignorance and you are making up assumptions. Trust me plenty of those exist for the area aroudn Rutgers and NJ as a whole. I know lots of NJ students at WVU, I was a grad there, and 99% of them prefer Morgantown to where they lived in NJ, which is an area they dont find particular desirable. I am not bashing NJ just stating what NJ students say.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
WVU is a joke. 80%+ admit rate and average SAT's around 1050 on the old 1600 scale. No way any child of mine is going there to be around all those idiots. Now, a party school like Univ of Wisconsin is a different matter.
Admission selectivity and SAT scores are irrelevant to academics. Trust me nobody cares about those things in the real world.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-25-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities