Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,838,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
However, the nephew that I spoke about up thread is from NYC. Going to college in NY would not have been as much of an education as Morgantown WV was.

Do you realize that New York is not a novelty or a learning experience for students who are from New York?
Exactly.

People from NYC tend to love their time in Morgantown at WVU. It is not really a competition they are just different experiences. Morgantown tailors more to students and gives them a good experience.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,008,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Admission selectivity and SAT scores are irrelevant to academics. Trust me nobody cares about those things in the real world.
This is nonsense. Admission selectivity is extremely relevant in academia. When you apply for research funding, you're going to be taken more seriously if you're from U Michigan than if you're from WVU.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,073,616 times
Guess if MAdison UW is no longer top party school I can get my daughter to go?

I would encourage my kid to go to the school of her choice PROVIDED it was for a legitimate degree and not scuba diving or hang gliding.

But wait, what colege is NOT a party school? If you think there is such an animal in American Acdemics, you are just fooling yourself.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is nonsense. Admission selectivity is extremely relevant in academia. When you apply for research funding, you're going to be taken more seriously if you're from U Michigan than if you're from WVU.
Do you have proof of that?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,999,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Do you have proof of that?
It's definitely relevant. If you look up the faculty of a college such as say Rutgers Engineering, by and large their faculty will be from schools BETTER than Rutgers, such as Top 10 Engineering schools.

If research and academia is your end goal, then I would say it definitely pays to get into the best doctorate program you can.

For other goals, the importance of what school you went to is less clear.

But all of life is like that.

For every job, there's going to be one interviewer who says, "Oh wow. MIT. Lets' hire the guy."

And another person who says, "MIT can suck my balls. I went to a mediocre college and school name means nothing to me."

Old 05-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's definitely relevant. If you look up the faculty of a college such as say Rutgers Engineering, by and large their faculty will be from schools BETTER than Rutgers, such as Top 10 Engineering schools.

If research and academia is your end goal, then I would say it definitely pays to get into the best doctorate program you can.

For other goals, the importance of what school you went to is less clear.

But all of life is like that.

For every job, there's going to be one interviewer who says, "Oh wow. MIT. Lets' hire the guy."

And another person who says, "MIT can suck my balls. I went to a mediocre college and school name means nothing to me."
The disagreement is between the SAT. The SAT and the ACT are irrelevant other than for gaining admission. The test measures nothing other than your ability to take that specific test. For doctorate program the SAT and ACT are not even relevant.

Judging a school by SAT and ACT scores of people entering is just stupid.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,269,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

But wait, what colege is NOT a party school? If you think there is such an animal in American Acdemics, you are just fooling yourself.
Some say that the University of Chicago is "where fun goes to die."

Old 05-25-2013, 02:50 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,380,157 times
My husband graduated with honors from WVU, so enough of that trash talk about WVU please. That said, none of our kids were interested in applying or even looking at WVU but mostly because it was more expensive then PSU in-state and they weren't interested in sports or a big school. If your in-state colleges have the programs you want, you can get in and the price is more affordable, it's not really justifiable to go to an OOS public. We were married when my husband transferred to WVU and we both loved attending the basketball and football games and I believe my husband got a great education.

Any of the big colleges are going to have similar pluses and minuses as far as partying vs. academics. Party rankings are purely subjective.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,820,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
If the school had that reputation, and it was a reputation loved and exalted by enough of the undergrad student body who won't let the rep die, would you even consider it?

The school is WVU.
Students who take an average load are in class 15 hours a week. They probably have 30 hours a week of school related work. That leaves plenty of time for kids to party after taking care of business. I care that my college aged child gets a good education and that he does what he is supposed to do. If he has some fun partying that's ok with me.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,008,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Students who take an average load are in class 15 hours a week. They probably have 30 hours a week of school related work. That leaves plenty of time for kids to party after taking care of business. I care that my college aged child gets a good education and that he does what he is supposed to do. If he has some fun partying that's ok with me.
The breakup for someone taking 15 credits in a semester-based school is:

- 15 hours instructional time (class-related).
- 15 hours reading/studying (class-related).
- 15 hours research/co-thesis/co-publishing (academic field-related).

That's a total of 45 hours before any extra-curriculars are added in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.