Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times

Advertisements

Just to add, many of the schools in my area now call it "Business Administration" as opposed to just "Business" Degree. On a personal note id still take my chances with accounting over business administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Just to add, many of the schools in my area now call it "Business Administration" as opposed to just "Business" Degree. On a personal note id still take my chances with accounting over business administration.
Yep, it is a business administration degree in accounting/finance/management/marketing/economics/computer information system at where I went to school, Northern Arizona University.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Default Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Business majors top list of underemployed college grads, report says - latimes.com

I was just wondering, everyone says to not major in liberal arts, well it seems that it's not a good idea to study business either.
just like the advice that comes and goes over time (I think I have lived long enough to have witnessed it three or four time in my lifetime) to be a nurse, be a teacher and then everyone lines up to become a nurse, to become a teacher and before you know it the jobmarket is flooded with...yep, you guessed it, nurses and teachers and as the rule of supply and demand has it...not enough jobs for these college grads either.

I think the hot topic job button and rage these days is...the STEM education, well I wonder if that's ever going to go out of style...not for a very long time I suspect.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

6 Things You Didn't Know About STEM Jobs and Students

Interest in left-brain fields is growing

The report—Where are the STEM Students, What are Their Career Interests, Where are the STEM Jobs,—pegs the STEM interests of one million high school students in the United States and documents how their interest correlates with the STEM workforce to come in five years.

6 Things You Didn't Know About STEM Jobs and Students - US News and World Report

Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I think STEMs will be important however the issue is not every student has the skills for it. Calculus and (basic) science principles are important in many of these disciplines. Not everyone is good at those BUT we have politicians, teachers and employers talking about how in need STEMs are. The issue is at some point I imagine it will be the same as a nurse or teacher. When that point is, I have no idea.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Regardless of what degree you go for, someone will tell you it's not worth it. Here's some real advice: Go to college to educate yourself, not to please others.
If the goal is to educate yourself, the local public library would be far more economical and you would probably learn more.

College these days is expensive and therefore should be viewed as an investment. You would be naive to think otherwise.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
just like the advice that comes and goes over time (I think I have lived long enough to have witnessed it three or four time in my lifetime) to be a nurse, be a teacher and then everyone lines up to become a nurse, to become a teacher and before you know it the jobmarket is flooded with...yep, you guessed it, nurses and teachers and as the rule of supply and demand has it...not enough jobs for these college grads either.

I think the hot topic job button and rage these days is...the STEM education, well I wonder if that's ever going to go out of style...not for a very long time I suspect.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

6 Things You Didn't Know About STEM Jobs and Students

Interest in left-brain fields is growing

The report—Where are the STEM Students, What are Their Career Interests, Where are the STEM Jobs,—pegs the STEM interests of one million high school students in the United States and documents how their interest correlates with the STEM workforce to come in five years.

6 Things You Didn't Know About STEM Jobs and Students - US News and World Report
STEM is a total waste of time, the only part that is important is E, Engineering, now with that degree, you can get a lot of money. All of the people that I know with science degrees are teaching, one I know works in government. Math, is the same way. Technology is kinda touch and go. I just wish people would quit trying to put STEM on a pedestal when its the Engineering part that makes it worth the money.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 AM

49 posts, read 102,645 times
But what is engineering without science, technology, or math?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk191 View Post
But what is engineering without science, technology, or math?
While I'm not saying that they are not important, that doesn't mean you need to get a degree in it either. That's just my opinion.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:32 PM

123 posts, read 192,799 times
The thing with majoring in business major is its breadth and somewhat lack of focus, unless you have a concentration. I think it is a solid major, however there are a lot of them out there. If I knew a kid was going to major in Business, I would strongly suggest that they take a few computer science classes to add a technical edge to their repertoire. Knowing a little SQL, and basic computer programming skills can go a long way, depending on the job. Also it don't think it is a lack of jobs more so than a lack of opportunity being given to those who are not employed. There are many employees performing the function of two and even three people. Companies are doing this all in the name of increasing their value.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Employment data is much more useful starting at 25 and not right after graduation. Until median income drops by a lot for 25-34 age group the underemployment isn't a huge issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities