U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM

12 posts, read 24,651 times
Default Do I need an Associate Degree to transfer to the University?

Hey guys, I went to the community college today and they give me two choices. Earn an Associate Degree then transfer or transfer without Associate Degree. I heard that many class does not transfer if I getting an Associate degree. What do you guys think? Should I just take the class that require by the University then transfer?

Thank You guys
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM

745 posts, read 1,045,154 times
If going to a community college and wanting to transfer to a University, make sure that there is a articulation agreement between the two schools. Your credits will transfer if the agreement is in place. Also I would transfer with the associates degree, why go to the community college if you're not going to get the degree?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM

4,631 posts, read 4,606,393 times
You need to speak with the university that you want to transfer to and see how much of the associate's degree program will transfer and base your decision off of that. No one here can tell you how many credits you will be able to transfer.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM

12 posts, read 24,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
If going to a community college and wanting to transfer to a University, make sure that there is a articulation agreement between the two schools. Your credits will transfer if the agreement is in place. Also I would transfer with the associates degree, why go to the community college if you're not going to get the degree?
Thank you for your reply, reason is many class does not transfer after complete an associate degree. For example associate degree require His101 but the university does mot require that so the class will not transfer to the university.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 PM

7,800 posts, read 2,756,495 times
If you take the degree option, it will remove the need of general education courses through the university. I took this route for my bachelor's.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,388 times
Just because you have an Associate Degree, or no degree at all, is not a factor in whether courses transfer or not! For example, one of the major for-profit institutions that advertises heavily on television has been ordered to now include messages that their coursework credits are NOT likely to be transferrable to a more conventional learning facility.

All in all, if the community college or associate degree granting school is publicly funded or associated with the State, likely it has arrangements with the other LEGITIMATE (!) educational institutions not only in-state but outside. JUST BECAUSE A SCHOOL QUALIFIES FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID FINANCING DOES NOT MEAN IT'S LEGITIMATE! I would advise you to investigate your community facilities first as not only have you expressed the desire to continue on to a baccalaureate program, but I suspect you'll find local tax and tuition-supported institutions are far more reasonably priced.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,404,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If you take the degree option, it will remove the need of general education courses through the university. I took this route for my bachelor's.
It depends on the school you are transferring to though. Many schools, if you transfer in with an Associate's, will accept your credits to satisfy all the gen ed stuff as one big chunk but not all of them do this and you still might end up having to fill in gaps or re-take things. I think most do though; I got tired of being at the community college and transferred without getting my AA but I found out if I'd been a little more patient then I could have made it easier on myself; for example had I taken "Math for Liberal Arts majors" at the CC and gotten my degree then transferred they would have accepted it but since I didn't do that they wanted me to take a different math.

At any rate, lways best to talk to the school you intend to go to. Will save you a headache later on.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 4,606 times
The key issue is one of accreditation. Most private and public non-profit schools are regionally accredited and will only accept credits from other regionally accredited schools, as opposed to schools that only have national accreditation. Community schools are regionally accredited so it's easier to transfer credits from there but you still want to look for a CC that has articulation agreements with 4-year colleges.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM

4,631 posts, read 4,606,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Depends. I transferred my entire AAS and still had to take more english, science and math to satisfy the gen ed requirement for my bachelor's degree.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,404,824 times
Also it is always good to talk to an advisor at the four year school you intend to go to. Stuff I was told wouldn't transfer because I'd exceeded the transferable hours, my advisor was able to make exceptions for anyway, keeping me from having to re-take stuff even though the official catalog didn't necessarily consider the classes to be equivalents. It was just a couple classes but still saved me money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities