Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If she is paying her own way, a PhD is almost never worth the investment. If she is receiving a free education and a stipend, sure, she can do it.

What does she want to do with the degree and why does she want to get it?
In order to teach at the college level. That's also why I had thought about doing it. I could teach at a community college or a regional school but not a full fledge university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Of course, she's not too old.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In order to teach at the college level. That's also why I had thought about doing it. I could teach at a community college or a regional school but not a full fledge university.
Then the question becomes, a PhD in what? The US is full of unemployed and underemployed PhDs. Does she have significant experience in the field she wants to get a PhD in? She may also face age discrimination issues which would most certainly be easy enough to explain away. The likely scenario is that she will spend a butt load of money to get a degree and then be lucky to get a job as an adjunct teaching one or two classes a semester. In general, the job market for PhDs is poor and she needs to understand that going into it. You also need to be willing to relocate anywhere in the country in order to get your foot in the door. If she is hired full time, she will be expected to conduct research and to be published.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I'd say if she has the time, money and determination - sure.
Shoot, if I had the time and money, I'd go to med school since there is such a shortage
and demand for general practitioner's and internist's.
While there is a shortage of GPs, there is not a shortage of PhDs.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
I was in grad school with a woman who was 61. My gynecologist switched careers in her midlife and ended up in med school at age 46. You're never too old to go back to school!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
So, at what point should a person say I am too old for this to be worth my time or money?
If you have not assumed room temperature, I would say go for it.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:18 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Quote:
I have a 53 year-old friend who is thinking about returning to school for her doctorate. Her husband told her he is not sure whether sinking all that money into education is a good investment at this point in her life. I have thought about it myself but I am even older. So, at what point should a person say I am too old for this to be worth my time or money?
Never say you're too old. Plus at 53 you have more knowledge and understand of the value of learning.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:28 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I have a 53 year-old friend who is thinking about returning to school for her doctorate. Her husband told her he is not sure whether sinking all that money into education is a good investment at this point in her life. I have thought about it myself but I am even older. So, at what point should a person say I am too old for this to be worth my time or money?

I read a Dear Abby column probably 35 years ago, but I never forgot it. A 40-something year old man wrote in asking if it was too late to go back to school to become a lawyer (what he always wanted to do). He wondered if it was too late, saying it would take him close to 10 years and he would be over 50 by then.

Abby's answer was "How old will you be in 10 years if you DON'T go to law school?"

Old 06-30-2013, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I know a woman who just got her seminary degree at age 64. She's now an assistant pastor. It's what she wanted to do.

I think if you feel you'll get some return on your education, including personal fulfillment, it's not too late.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I read a Dear Abby column probably 35 years ago, but I never forgot it. A 40-something year old man wrote in asking if it was too late to go back to school to become a lawyer (what he always wanted to do). He wondered if it was too late, saying it would take him close to 10 years and he would be over 50 by then.

Abby's answer was "How old will you be in 10 years if you DON'T go to law school?"
Yes this! My mother said her therapist told her this 30-something years ago (I guess she was in therapy when I was a little kid)... she would have been in her late 30s at the time, and she wishes now, at 70, that she had listened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities