Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am going to be going back to school in the fall and for many years, I have worked in the medical field. I have always enjoyed working with the elderly in whatever job I have had, and I was a caregiver type from pretty early on.

In my work, I have been front office type. I had started going back to school a couple years ago for education. I have actually always wanted to teach. I started out in school going for Radiography and would then go further for MRI/CT but I had a writing teacher who decided I needed to be a teacher. She had no idea I always had wanted to do that.

After being in my Biology class, I decided that I loved it and that would be nice to teach. The state I was living in had a huge need for Science teachers.

I had to stop going to school and that was that, but now I will be starting back up. There are no teaching jobs here where I live, but for Special Education.

I know that I like to work with the elderly, so now I am looking for a career that is specific to them. I can stay in Medical, and that would be just fine, or I could do something else.

I don't know if there is even such a thing, but I want to do something dealing with Elder Advocacy. I have seen so many elderly people just disregarded and I think it really needs to change...

Any idea on a career out there geared towards helping the elderly?

I am not talking CNA in a nursing home..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Off the top of my head, nutritionist, physical therapist and social worker.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
SLP...Many speech-language pathologists work with kids, but many work with elderly stroke patients.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Hello. I am going to be going back to school in the fall and for many years, I have worked in the medical field. I have always enjoyed working with the elderly in whatever job I have had, and I was a caregiver type from pretty early on.

In my work, I have been front office type. I had started going back to school a couple years ago for education. I have actually always wanted to teach. I started out in school going for Radiography and would then go further for MRI/CT but I had a writing teacher who decided I needed to be a teacher. She had no idea I always had wanted to do that.

After being in my Biology class, I decided that I loved it and that would be nice to teach. The state I was living in had a huge need for Science teachers.

I had to stop going to school and that was that, but now I will be starting back up. There are no teaching jobs here where I live, but for Special Education.

I know that I like to work with the elderly, so now I am looking for a career that is specific to them. I can stay in Medical, and that would be just fine, or I could do something else.

I don't know if there is even such a thing, but I want to do something dealing with Elder Advocacy. I have seen so many elderly people just disregarded and I think it really needs to change...

Any idea on a career out there geared towards helping the elderly?

I am not talking CNA in a nursing home..

Set your sites higher than this. My youngest is an LPN working towards her RN. When she gets her RN she has plans on staying at the nursing home and hopefully becoming the director of nursing. If you want to advocate for the elderly, being a D.O.N. will give you the location and the control to make things better for your residents.

As to a couple possible occupations mentioned. Being a physical therapist is a long process since it is now a doctorate program most everywhere. Great job, but the pay hasn't kept up to the tremendous cost of finishing the program. In social work, you will need at minimum a masters degree and maybe more just to find a job that pays well enough to make a living.

Nutritionist is a possibility. Don't know much about that field though.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Gerentology as a major or minor combined with something like social work or anything health related will get you where you want to go methinks.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Gerentology as a major or minor combined with something like social work or anything health related will get you where you want to go methinks.

That's what I was trying to think of. A local CC offers AS degrees in Gerontology while a local state univ offers an undegrad and a graduate degree in the subject.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I am going to be reading up on that. I talked to one of the counselors up at the cc yesterday, who I must say, was really of no help at all. Seems as though I can probably start out there and then transfer to another school for the rest.

As far as something like PT goes, I do not have the strength for something like that, but I am def going to look into the Gerontology route.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Talking with someone in the field of gerontology would be of great value - it would give you an idea of what qualifications are required and the employment prospects.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:38 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
SLP...Many speech-language pathologists work with kids, but many work with elderly stroke patients.
That's actually Occupational Therapy - go figure...

Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
[/color]

Set your sites higher than this. My youngest is an LPN working towards her RN. When she gets her RN she has plans on staying at the nursing home and hopefully becoming the director of nursing. If you want to advocate for the elderly, being a D.O.N. will give you the location and the control to make things better for your residents.

As to a couple possible occupations mentioned. Being a physical therapist is a long process since it is now a doctorate program most everywhere. Great job, but the pay hasn't kept up to the tremendous cost of finishing the program. In social work, you will need at minimum a masters degree and maybe more just to find a job that pays well enough to make a living.

Nutritionist is a possibility. Don't know much about that field though.
If your daughter wishes to be in a position to be of greatest good, she'll need at least a MBA/MSN (dual degree programs exist) and Gerontology certification unless it's a chain, then the almighty profit margin rules... The people caring for our elderly in nursing homes and other LTC facilities are too few in number and are paid barely minimum wage. If your daughter can effect a change in that, she will be truly blessed.

To the OP: It is hard for any college admissions counselor to be helpful when the student himself/herself isn't clear on what they want to do. That said, yes, get your general education courses started at the CC and then look at what you will need for your actual major - medical social work is growing, especially with the impending Affordable Care ACT implementation. There are Activity Coordinators, Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy Assistant programs whose graduates are employed in nursing / long-term care facilities. In any case, good luck to you!

Last edited by mm_mary73; 07-02-2013 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities