Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 21,327 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from high school, and i cant go to college this fall semester. I have to apply for the spring semester at Fresno State and i have a couple of questions about that.

1. Am i still considered an undergraduate? So when i apply i just choose undergraduate?

2. Is this a better choice than just starting at a city college (i would be going for the fall semester btw at city)

3. What are the pros and cons of starting spring?

Im just so confused on all of this. And i honestly dont want to start at city (fresno city isnt that good), i'd rather go to state for spring semester, but if it is a better choice i will.

Just need advice, PLEASE!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianaA View Post
I just graduated from high school, and i cant go to college this fall semester. I have to apply for the spring semester at Fresno State and i have a couple of questions about that.

1. Am i still considered an undergraduate? So when i apply i just choose undergraduate?

2. Is this a better choice than just starting at a city college (i would be going for the fall semester btw at city)

Im just so confused on all of this. And i honestly dont want to start at city (fresno city isnt that good), i'd rather go to state for spring semester, but if it is a better choice i will.

Just need advice, PLEASE!

Thank you.
Do you have a guidance counselor at your high school? That would be an excellent place to start or you can always go to the college's Admissions office in person or online.....

Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Anyone who hasn't graduated with a bachelor's degree is an undergrad.

Quote:
Have no idea, as I do not know you situation, your major OR the schools involved.

Quote:
Some school only offer certain classes in the fall and other classes in the spring. Sometimes you have to take the fall class before taking the spring class. You would lose another semester if any of your classes work that way.

I am puzzled... I thought you were going to college in New York? Did you change your mind or am I thinking of someone else?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
There are no disadvantages to starting college in the spring. It's a perfectly valid option that many students exercise who were turned down for fall semester, or who for any reason couldn't start in the fall. Apply to several schools in your region, and pick the best one that accepts you. Keep your options open. And treat it just like starting in the fall. Really, there's no difference.

You start out taking general requirements, so look for the courses offered in spring that don't have pre-requisites; i.e. they're ground-floor beginner classes and don't require that you've taken an introductory class in the fall. This will be easy to do. Get the university course catalogue, and start looking at your options, just to gain some familiarity with the system. You'll start to feel more comfortable with it, that way.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Why not start at a Community College and see how that works out for you? At this point, as a college bound high school graduate, you shouldn't have to be asking these questions.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:35 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why not start at a Community College and see how that works out for you? At this point, as a college bound high school graduate, you shouldn't have to be asking these questions.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have guidance in this regard.

I had plenty of "dumb" questions when I started my college career. I didn't come from a family of college grads and my high school did absolutely nothing to prepare me in any way. I didn't even know what the SAT was. I didn't understand the term "matriculate". I didn't understand how a GPA was calculated. I didn't know about credit hours. I thought a class worth 3 credit hours per semester was 3 hours long each time class met! I didn't understand dropping/withdrawing so I just failed classes instead.

Now I know, but I had to ask many questions and sit through plenty of "Are you serious!?" raised eyebrow looks in the process. Much easier to ask on an internet forum.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If you plan to live on campus, there is a social disadvantage to starting in the spring, if that is of any concern to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities