Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM

315 posts, read 564,000 times

Advertisements

Okay, I guess that's a good point.

I guess I just don't like feeling behind.

I am Full-time, and I always have been but I had to take some remedial math courses first due to my lack of passing the Math Proficiency Exam at first. I currently only have one more math course left to take. I was thinking about transferring to a completely accredited (through a state university) Online Program for my bachelors that will most likely take most of my credits and work full-time.

My major WILL BE a mix of Environmental Science/Natural Resources with a concentration in Wildlife and Fisheries Conservation. I found a program where my credits WILL transfer properly (the online one) and another program that will give me potentially $9,000 in scholarships. I work part-time in my field ALREADY, so I was hoping through my job I can maybe get a full-time job with just my AS and get my Bachelors part-time but I am scared that will take even longer since I do want to get my Masters well before I am 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
by itself it doesn't really matter. however if you're struggling so much that it takes you that long, i'd re-evaluate whether college is the right choice for you

Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
If you're already working in your field, you have nothing to worry about. You're already so far ahead of other students who are just getting the degree without job experience, or maybe with a summer internship but nothing more. If you finish at 24, and you go on to do a Master's program part-time, that would stretch a 2-year MA/MS out to 3 or max. 4 years. You'd still be done at 28, if all goes smoothly.

I think you're being smart. This is how to get an education in a relatively debt-free way, while maximizing employability. Others getting a BA in your field will wind up working as cashiers or office staff. What you're doing gives you a tremendous advantage, not a disadvantage. It's all in how you look at it.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
by itself it doesn't really matter. however if you're struggling so much that it takes you that long, i'd re-evaluate whether college is the right choice for you
Trust me, I am not struggling. Honestly most people think CC is two years, I don't know one SCIENCE major at my CC who did it in two years. Most of the science kids at my school are in it for 2 1/2-three years so that isn't really a worry. I have a 3.5 GPA after taking General Eds, General Bio I and II, Lots of Physical Science classes and labs, so I am a pretty good standing academically.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Is this comment because the OP mentioned having to take remedial math classes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Trust me, I am not struggling. Honestly most people think CC is two years, I don't know one SCIENCE major at my CC who did it in two years. Most of the science kids at my school are in it for 2 1/2-three years so that isn't really a worry. I have a 3.5 GPA after taking General Eds, General Bio I and II, Lots of Physical Science classes and labs, so I am a pretty good standing academically.
Yep, two years is average but a lot of programs require pre-requisites, some are closer to 70 hours than 60, and if someone doesn't/can't go in summer it can take longer as well.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're already working in your field, you have nothing to worry about. You're already so far ahead of other students who are just getting the degree without job experience, or maybe with a summer internship but nothing more. If you finish at 24, and you go on to do a Master's program part-time, that would stretch a 2-year MA/MS out to 3 or max. 4 years. You'd still be done at 28, if all goes smoothly.

I think you're being smart. This is how to get an education in a relatively debt-free way, while maximizing employability. Others getting a BA in your field will wind up working as cashiers or office staff. What you're doing gives you a tremendous advantage, not a disadvantage. It's all in how you look at it.
That's what my father told me too, I am just so paranoid about everyone saying "you're still in Community College??" and "You might get out when you're 30". I am making connections and networking, not to mention I have a few that could potentially help me.

That was the goal, to get out debt free. I don't mind a few thousand in loans (government - not private) but I can't imagine spending 40k + on ANY degree. And I would be able to pay more for my Masters Degree hopefully or find a job that may pay for it.

A Masters at 28 sounds pretty impressive actually. I was thinking of it being way longer.

Thank you!

My Dad finished his degree at 42, so I guess finishing at 28 with a Masters doesn't sound to bad.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
i was already thinking it but reading about the remedial math classes didn't help. not everyone is college material and there is no shame in that. people have different talents and skills in life. i don't know the whole story- maybe the OP was unmotivated in high school and has since changed/matured hence the remedial CC classes and taking so long to complete a bachelor's, but overall i'm not hopeful that someone who has to go that route really ought to be spending so much time and money on academic pursuits. its a shame we push everyone in the same direction.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post

Yep, two years is average but a lot of programs require pre-requisites, some are closer to 70 hours than 60, and if someone doesn't/can't go in summer it can take longer as well.
I sure hope it wasn't! Honestly tons of people take remedial math classes. I only took 2, some people can't even go on without taking 3 - 4. I know a kid who can't pass the last remedial course he needs and he's a science major.

And generally, most are 60. I think when I am done I will have 65 or so.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
i was already thinking it but reading about the remedial math classes didn't help. not everyone is college material and there is no shame in that. people have different talents and skills in life. i don't know the whole story- maybe the OP was unmotivated in high school and has since changed/matured hence the remedial CC classes and taking so long to complete a bachelor's, but overall i'm not hopeful that someone who has to go that route really ought to be spending so much time and money on academic pursuits. its a shame we push everyone in the same direction.
I had an overall high school GPA of 3.6 and got into every college I applied to.

I just happen to not be so good at math. Remedial math classes in CC or any College is nothing new or rare. I don't know very many people who didn't have to take them, aside from maybe 2 of my friends. I don't see how taking a little longer to get a Bachelors degree makes someone "not college material" - life gets in the way sometimes. I am not the smartest science kid, no but I am definitely able to get through the classes. I am not "struggling" nor was I pushed.

I've always wanted to pursue Science and a career that required a college degree because I want to better myself. I was just getting upset about how people react when I tell them I spent 3 years at CC when it seems to be the norm with science majors. This post certainly didn't help.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Hmm.

I agree that not everyone is college material. I do not, however, agree that needing to take remedial math classes is an indication that someone should not go to college.

For that matter, there are not many viable long term career options that don't at least require an Associate's degree and there will still be a need for minimal course requirements. So, someone who doesn't aspire to earn a Bachelor's or Master's is still very likely going to need "some" college regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities